Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Looking at an extreme weather in 300 wsm. Serial number starts with 35AMN. Is that an fn manufactured serial number? Would $800 be a good deal for one in excellent condition?

Thanks,
Mike

BP-B6

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
ms, am not positive, but would guess it is an FN #. My FN Fwt. starts with 35 and 3 letters (czy). I believe before BACO started producing, it was a G prefix. And in excellent condition I would think that is a very good price. They run $1100 and change in my neck of the woods IF you can find one. Last one I saw in a shop was on Memorial Day this year in Tampa and if I remember, it was about $1170.
John

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks John. I'm torn between this rifle and a tikka t3.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I agree with John843. It should be an FN made rifle. My EW starts with 35AMP. I'd say that is a good buy and would certainly buy it myself for that price if it were a caliber I wanted. Having owned a T3, I much prefer the Winchester and am much happier with it. Just my opinion.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 11/24/14.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks VA. Any idea what the serial numbers are for the model 70s made in Portugal?

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Probably not going to be able to discern the Portugal guns at first glance by the ser.# unless you can determine somehow what the last run of Columbia guns were numbered. The portugal guns will however have that stamped on them somewhere. Also on the box.
John

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Maybe give customer service a call? I'd bet it is a SC made rifle though.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks. Anyone have an negative experiences with this rifle? Most reviews are positive. It I've seen some accuracy complaints. I'm fairly confident the tikka will be accurate out of the box but I like the stock much better on the winchester. I figure the 300 wsm should be a good all around caliber

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Never owned a mod. 70 that wouldn't shoot. A couple took a small tweak or two, but never anything major. I personally feel the Win. is a several lifetimes heirloom sort of gun that most anyone would be proud to own, while to me at least, while known for inherent accuracy, the Tikka is more of an entry level gun. Just my 2 cents.
John

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I called Winchester customer service. The rifle was built in 2009 in South Carolina at FN.

Rifle is unfired and in perfect condition. However, it is $870 out the door, not just the $800 I originally mentioned.

That still a good deal among the various stainless synthetic rifles out there? I'm still wondering if maybe the Tikka for around $700 out the door or maybe even a Sako A7 Roughtech for around $1,100 may be better. Just a bit concerned about some of the accuracy problems I read about the Winchester Extreme Weather.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

IC B3

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I'd be surprised if the M70 won't shoot. Mine is a 270 Winchester and shoots the cheap 130 grain Federal Power Shoks very well. I think if you compare the way the M70 is built to how the T3 is built, you will see the M70 is the better rifle.

Here is a pic I found when I was breaking in the Extreme Weather.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by VAhuntr; 11/25/14.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My FN fwt. in .243 is the most accurate out-the-box rifle I've owned in 50 yrs. I've heard a couple of knocks on the EW; stock too thick for some, a little heavy for others, but I can honestly say I have not heard about lack of accuracy as being a concern that's out there to any real degree. No line of firearms is going to be without the occasional lemon or non-shooter but I really think you will lessen the chances of that being the case by going with the Winchester, not increasing it.
John

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by john843
My FN fwt. in .243 is the most accurate out-the-box rifle I've owned in 50 yrs. I've heard a couple of knocks on the EW; stock too thick for some, a little heavy for others, but I can honestly say I have not heard about lack of accuracy as being a concern that's out there to any real degree. No line of firearms is going to be without the occasional lemon or non-shooter but I really think you will lessen the chances of that being the case by going with the Winchester, not increasing it.
John

I read about the complaints on the stock myself before I purchased mine. However, once I handled it I liked how it felt and still do. My only complaint is I wish the 270 was available with a 24" barrel.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My 308 EW, probably made about the same time, is quite accurate. I bought it used about 4 years ago, It is also accurate with pretty much anything I put in the chamber unlike some rifles that will only shoot well with one bullet or load.

I used it as is for one hunting season and liked it, but when a used Edge stock showed up in the classifieds here at a good price I jumped on it. It reduced the weight by almost 1/2 lb, it is much thinner through the grip and balances just right. I now LOVE the rifle and it is the only one I've actually hunted with for the last 3 years.

Some of the last of the Classics made in New Haven prior to 2006 have been know to have some issues. I've heard that some of the last of the SC made guns were less than perfect, but most of the early SC made guns are generally very good. I haven't heard enough about the Portugal assembled 70 to know one way or another. Until I hear differently I'll assume they are building a good rifle.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
VAhunter, I agree with you on the EW stock. While I don't have an EW, I put the same stock, available from Stocky's, on a '79 push feed l/a .243. The rifle is an XTR but came in a non-checkered birch, blind magazine stock. It was the definition of slippery and UGLY. I decided to make it more user friendly and swapped the stock for an EW, removed the iron sights, installed a timney, traded the old Armsport heavy scope that came on it for a Leupold and ended up with a rifle that I actually use and really like.
John

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I own a FN M70 300 WSM. I bought it the first year they came out and paid $800 for it - which was a really good deal. If its unfired, thats a good price.

Like several here, I like the EW stock. The SA B&C stocks seem to feel different than their LA brethren. I liked the SA EW stock so well I replaced a McM Edge on my M70 7 WSM with the SA EW. I like them and now have a quasi-matched pair of rifles.

Can't opine on the Tikka rifles but many like them. I've not looked because between M77's and M70's I have no need for a Tikka. Nothing against Tikka's but my current rifles do everything I ask them to do and they fit me very well. Can't really ask for much more of a bullet slinger.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BTW my EW shoots like VAhuntr's rifle - at least the 3-shot group over the bullseye. wink

If you buy it, load 65 gr H4350 under a 180 Partition lit by a WLRM primer seated 0.020" off L&G's. It will get 2950-2975 ft/sec. Load development done!

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by bwinters
BTW my EW shoots like VAhuntr's rifle - at least the 3-shot group over the bullseye. wink

If you buy it, load 65 gr H4350 under a 180 Partition lit by a WLRM primer seated 0.020" off L&G's. It will get 2950-2975 ft/sec. Load development done!

Looking back I really wished I'd went and hung another target before trying the 140 grain Hornady Superformance. I bought 60 rounds of the stuff at a gun show several years back for $30. Ain't found a 270 yet that shoots the stuff worth a darn and it made my target look like crap! grin

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for all the responses. I think I'm going to pickup the winchester.

Thanks all.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mikestaten
Looking at an extreme weather in 300 wsm. Serial number starts with 35AMN. Is that an fn manufactured serial number? Would $800 be a good deal for one in excellent condition?

Thanks,
Mike

Great deal as far as I'm concerned. I believe your serial # sounds like a first year manufacture (2008), which is better: I've seen some of the more recent FN's with some QC and accuracy issues... I just sold my EW tubed 2008 limited edition (serial # starting with 35AMP) that was a terrific rifle. I'm sure I'll miss that one, but I realized my pre 64 model 70 30-06 will do everything that rifle will. Passed it on to a great guy here on the fire. I think he'll be pretty damned happy with it too.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks. Anyone have an negative experiences with this rifle? Most reviews are positive. It I've seen some accuracy complaints. I'm fairly confident the tikka will be accurate out of the box but I like the stock much better on the winchester. I figure the 300 wsm should be a good all around caliber

Yeah, my buddies shot like chit. 3" groups on average. The trigger wasn't as smooth as my 2008 limited or my EW. The EW stocks are big heavy clubs. More 2x4esque than anything else. Get an edge and Ernie the gunsmith trigger spring and be done with it:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Torn or scorn? I'd be all over the Insert name of rifle here . Hard to go wrong with either choice. However, since Winchester pisses me off and puts such a pos stock on the EW my vote may be swayed to the Tikka shocked

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bwinters

Hey now, that's kind of a cheap kick to the balls. Not everyone likes their rifles dialed in to the bulls eye. Some here love the 6" off to the left and way high sight in whistle. VA's wasn't too bad, a little to the left and 1" high. Better than some I've seen here. Speaking of loads and 300 wsm's. My EW tubed rifle liked this load:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BW, we can't always put them in the orange.... wink. Your 65 grain load is pretty stiff I bet...

Lately, I've been running a book max load of IMR 4350 because I have a bunch more of that laying around than anything else. This load gets me to 2950 and shoots pretty good:

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I didn't think the b&c stock was uncomfortable at all. I'm going to give it one last inspection tomorrow and if all looks OK, 99% chance its coming home with me.

Anything in particular I should look out for? Read a few reviews about rough bolts races and rough chambers but I'm hoping they were isolated incidents.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Mike, generally the new FN Winchesters are extremely smooth. They are more reminiscent of the pre 64 than even the classic CRF's. At $800.00 that is actually a steal for the EW. If you like the B&C, that is a plus. I couldn't stand the thing and had the edge stock sent to me before the rifle arrived. The combo shown in the above picture is just about perfect as far as Winchester model 70's go. However, like I have said before I prefer the pre 64's and that one went down the road. At the price point, you won't be losing money if you buy the EW. You can always sell it and probably make a little money doing so. That's a no brainer right there...

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
FN Winchester serial numbers and dates follow this pattern.

35 plus a letter is the Model 70 code My EW 264 is 35CZX My 257 R Supper Grade is 35CZY and My JOC Custom Tribute is 35CZY.

The next two letters are manufacture date:

Z-1
Y-2
X-3
W-4
V-5
T-6
R-7
P-8
N-9
M-0

So my EW was made in 2013
Super Grade was made in 2012
JOC was made in 2012

Last edited by Dustylongshot; 11/27/14.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
So the "35AMN" serial # would indicate a 2009 DOM. I'd say it's probably a good one. In 2008 FN wanted to win us over with their new model 70 and they put out a great product. Quality started to go in the chitter later on and that's why they are now manufactured in Portugal.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks dusty. Youre numbers match those that Winchester told me. This ones a 2009, which some have said are better than the more recent ones.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Torn or scorn? I'd be all over the Insert name of rifle here . Hard to go wrong with either choice. However, since Winchester pisses me off and puts such a pos stock on the EW my vote may be swayed to the Tikka shocked

Lol look at you man you are a hoot lol.... I like the EW stock myself I can't and never will justify myself buying a McMillan stock... Happy thanksgiving bud!

Last edited by 79S; 11/27/14.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So the "35AMN" serial # would indicate a 2009 DOM. I'd say it's probably a good one. In 2008 FN wanted to win us over with their new model 70 and they put out a great product. Quality started to go in the chitter later on and that's why they are now manufactured in Portugal.

Wrong buddy just the stocks made in Portugal all other parts made in South Carolina and assembled in Portugal...

Last edited by 79S; 11/27/14.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Thanks for posting the code, mine is a 2009 rifle as well.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Mikestaten", if you don't grab that FN Winchester, you should change your forum name to "Mistaken".

I hope you get it. I bet you will be very pleased.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dusty,

Thanks for the code; it confirms my rifle was made in 2012.

Having Campfire members sharing so much information is what makes these forums so rewarding.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JMR40
Thanks for posting the code, mine is a 2009 rifle as well.

And a damn good looking one at that. JMR, have you told the op what a difference that stock made in handling and weight as well as weight distribution. Besides it is more grippy and feels better in the hands, especially on wet days..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

Wrong buddy just the stocks made in Portugal all other parts made in South Carolina and assembled in Portugal...

Stocks made in Portugal and assembled in Portugal results in a finer fit and finish. These yayhoos here were having problems with fit and finish and QC. I've seen it in later model FN's. One 375 H&H was so terrible that it was marked down to $850.00 and the shop had it for over a year. No one wanted it because it was blatantly obvious that Winchester was having problems. I don't know why or how they let a rifle like that out of the factory.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I pulled the trigger on this one. Going to mount a 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest in Talley lightweights. Hopefully get out to shoot it soon and work up some loads.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I pulled the trigger on this one. Going to mount a 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest in Talley lightweights. Hopefully get out to shoot it soon and work up some loads.

Sounds like you got a good deal and hopefully you will be as happy with it as I am mine. As I stated in an earlier post, I like the B&C stock and don't have any problems with it. Having said that, if I shot the same rifle with a McMillan on it I may have a different opinion.

I have a Conquest mounted in DNZ Game Reapers and really like the setup on my EW. However, I'm probably going to switch over to a VX3 on mine after the season is over. No doubt the Conquest is a great scope but I like the VX3's better on a hunting rifle...personal preference.

Good luck with your new rifle.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 11/28/14.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Although I'm neither a .30 cal. man nor do I care for Tikas, I'd grab it if it's in the condition you mention. Not knocking Tikas, quality, just don't care for their platform. I have an EW .270 WSM that easily puts 3 into an inch with 130 Partitions with boring regularity. Seems like I could almost close my eyes & they go into that 1 inch group.
Good luck & enjoy.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

Who's wrong here? They say a picture is worth a 1,000 words. Why does it say "made in Portugal" on the box now??????
[Linked Image]

I'd be all over that 2009 EW for $800.00. Hard to beat that deal on a great rifle. The OP was right in buying it. Good luck to any of you bastids buying the new and improved Portugal pos win model 70..

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think it's kinda like a vehicle; constructed from parts and pieces from all over- USA, Japan, Europe, but officially, it's MADE wherever the final assembly point of all those parts happen. I would definitely buy a current (Portugal) Mod.70 and probably will soon in 7mm08. I think there was the same apprehension about the S.C. guns after all the years of New Haven production. The S.C. Fwt. I have now is just about perfect (to me, anyway) and I see no reason to hate on the new ones without my having seen one. I'm willing to give it a chance and if for some reason it's not up to par down the road it'll go.
John

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Also, this Portugal production thing is not something new for FN. They've been producing there for quite a while. The very best shotguns I own (3 A-5s), the best semi-auto (BAR)30-06, and a beautiful heirloom BBR are all FN made and for the time being anyway, I'm going to defer to their judgment as to what manufacturing model will give them, and hopefully us, the best bang for the buck. But then I could just be na�ve:)
John

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Who's wrong here? They say a picture is worth a 1,000 words. Why does it say "made in Portugal" on the box now??????
[Linked Image]

I'd be all over that 2009 EW for $800.00. Hard to beat that deal on a great rifle. The OP was right in buying it. Good luck to any of you bastids buying the new and improved Portugal pos win model 70..

Great work detective BSA. As was stated the transition has been complete I talked a good friend few months back and he told me this was happening all tooling was being shipped to Portugal. Initially stuff was being sent over to be fitted for stocks, while tooling was enroute. On a side note for you guys baco fought this said it was bad but you all know what FN thought. Oh how does my bud know this his best friend was high up in the browning food chain. Also the plant in South Carolina was built to build small arms for the us government not build model 70's.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

[Linked Image]

And you had to go pull this off another thread to kind of prove me wrong bro wtf you ok were you having a bad weekend... Drink a mtn dew eat a elk steak gees

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Picked it up yesterday and shot today. Puts federal fusion 165s into an inch group. Was using a portable bench that isn't all that great so I'm sure it will do much better. Will work up some loads after the season. Going to use it tomorrow for opening day in PA. Winchester has a deal going until 12/31/14 where they will rebate back whatever taxes you pay, up to 8%.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds like you got a good one. Congrats and good luck hunting!!!

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
ms, might want to give the Hornaday Interlocks a shot. All of my .30 cal Winchesters that like the Fusions, shoot the Interlocks even better.
John

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks. I would try the interlocks, however, wouldn't they blow up at the 300 wsm velocities?

By the way, the more I play around with this rifle, the more I like it. The fit and finish is perfect and the bolt is about as smooth as I have ever felt. Looking forward to some load workup.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
119 members (338reddog, 10Glocks, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,457 guests, and 737 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.