Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Copied this chart from the 2014 Cabela's Cutlery catalog. Sure wish they would have labeled the Y-axis and explained how they measured the values. Pretty much worthless without test description and values. I wonder how many people choose new knives from this data?

I'm hoping this leads to some comments.

[Linked Image]

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well right off the bat they have S30V labeled as easier to sharpen than ATS-34.
In my world that's not the way it is,but hey,wtheck do I know ?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Rick
-I would bet that the "bottom" of the Y axis is not at zero value for most if any of the categories. ie: if you crop off the bottom, the ratings "appear" to have a greater separation of values.
-Amazing to see that with the lower Rc on the left side, the blades are easier to sharpen.
-Also amazing that with the higher Rc values on the right side, the blades are harder and hold and edge better.
Who wooda thunk????

I wonder if they have a maker/vendor focused on one/some of the steels to the right side.

As Vince noted, I really don't see CPM S30V at 60Rc as same as 440(C?) at 56Rc for sharpenability.

I am thinking they are pushing filet knives in 440 and hunting knives in S30V. Any body know if this might be the case????

Not saying they don't see plenty of good knives, just that they may be putting a little "spin" on the ratings.

jmho
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
they did not even list a lot of the steels that I like.

Sam......

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There are so many discrepancies on that chart compared to catra results for edge retention as to make it less than useless. Not to mention they apparently decided to lump all 440 steels together. As for sharpenability (is that a word?) same story, total joke. BG42 ain't a big challenge to sharpen.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They sure do over-rate 8cr13mov, IMO.....

Boise Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I figured a BG42 fan would speak up. Wonder what 1095 would look like? I'm in a deer stand at this very moment 1095 folder and a D2 fixed blade. Guess they would put me in the unlightened bucket.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
B
B
Originally Posted by Boise
Sure wish they would have labeled the Y-axis and explained how they measured the values. Pretty much worthless without test description and values.

+1 on what you said. Unless it is described how the steel was tempered, hardened, and heat treated, the chart is meaningless IMO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The August 2014 issue of Outdoor Life had a story on knife steel types.

Anyone see it ?

Any comments ?

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Agreed, where are the carbon steels? 1095, 5160 and 52100 are some of my favorites.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How did they arrive at the chart > Sales figures and follow-up questionnaires after the sale ? Way to much info missing for me to change my steel choices based on retail consumer grade knife purchases for big box store customers. Not putting down guys who can't afford customs, but I thing they (customers) might have very different opinions once they got a taste of a good custom blade that was heat treated correctly, tempered, ground correctly using steels that don't seem to nave great popularity on that consumer grade knife list.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've had bad luck with Pakistan built knives. Poor steel quality which is difficult to sharpen and edge retention is equally bad.

Some of the Chinese knives are quite good such as Marble's, Rough Rider, and BOKER Magnum series.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Mink
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Agreed, where are the carbon steels? 1095, 5160 and 52100 are some of my favorites.

The first four dark handled knives are 1095, a big Dexter and three Chicago cutlery. Not sure about the little one. The big light handle is a saw blade and the boner looks like a Russell but not marked.

I also like the 1095 steel, these are my elk/deer butcher knives and have some others for fish.

Kent

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My SOG spec elite mini in my pocket is made with VG-10, something not on the chart.

It never rusts, but it gets dull in a hurry when cutting deer or antelope hair. I try not to cut the hair.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
They sure do over-rate 8cr13mov, IMO.....

Agreed. Chart is likely more marketing than data since so many knives sold by Cabelas are Chinese made of that steel. That said, Enlan/Bee brand folders are very usable folders. Especially for under 10 bucks shipped. I buy them 1/2 doz at a time for every day use around the farm. Lost a few while mucking manure. Expect to find them in the vegetable garden at some point.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
steels are often rated by factory heattreats which are far from true performances when heatteated by a great custom maker such as menefee. cranky72

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
682 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 71 invisible), 2,697 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.