Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by P_Weed
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Well, he claimed RIA's were "soft", I called him on it, he couldn't back up anything he said, I and several others provided data contrary to his claims, he called everyone names, got all butt-hurt and left.

Me and Bricktop is chums. Maybe WE can pay you a friendly visit and you'd like to tell him to his face!

> http://popdose.com/wp-content/uploads/Tough_Guys.jpg <

(Tough Guys) smile smile

Yeah, I'm an adult...I don't settle internet disagreements with a meet up and duke it out. Maybe you and Brick might understand when you grow up someday.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by MIVHNTR
Well, he claimed RIA's were "soft", I called him on it, he couldn't back up anything he said, I and several others provided data contrary to his claims, he called everyone names, got all butt-hurt and left.

I've got no dog in this fight, but apparently Clark Custom Guns thinks that the Philippine made 1911s have soft steel and shouldn't be considered for their 460 Rowland conversion.

I read this when I was looking for a 1911 to convert to 45Super/460 Rowland. I just figure that Clark Custom has to have a pretty good handle on this stuff and avoided the cheap imported 1911s when I made my 1911 purchase.

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/rowland.htm#faq

I know we've been down this road before, but it would be interesting to know why Clark also lists the Dan Wesson and the Taurus with RIA as "Undesirable " for the mod. This should be a clue....

Lists Taurus but says Springfield Armory is okay. Last time I checked, Taurus made the forgings for Imbel, who makes the frames for Springfield. Interesting.

Actually as a gunsmith there may be guns I choose not to do full custom jobs on and that has nothing to do with metal quality, but aesthetics. Some makers pay more attention to detail than others, and often that is reflected in price.

The Armscor guns have been around for a good decade or more, if there were serious issues, I think something would have popped up by now.

I don't know what Clark's issues are, or how many guns they've seen to make a statement that slides are soft. I have worked on about a half dozen RIA's for various people and have yet to see anything out of the ordinary where metallurgy is concerned, but I have noticed that externally they're not made real "pretty". That said, I've never worked on an Armscor gun that has been converted to .460 Rowland, who knows; maybe that extra abuse exposes flaws that regular cartridges don't. I know two of the RIA's that I worked on had over 10k rounds through them (one I'm sure had a LOT more than 10k, he was a died in the wool IDPA competitor and competed every weekend). Again, nothing noted out of the ordinary. But that's standard pressure .45 ACP which isn't exactly easy on guns, but isn't abusive either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've got no dog in this fight, but apparently Clark Custom Guns thinks that the Philippine made 1911s have soft steel and shouldn't be considered for their 460 Rowland conversion.

I read this when I was looking for a 1911 to convert to 45Super/460 Rowland. I just figure that Clark Custom has to have a pretty good handle on this stuff and avoided the cheap imported 1911s when I made my 1911 purchase.

Well I�ve never seen anything about Clark to make me think they don�t know what they�re doing. However, being a gunsmith myself when I look at their list, I do scratch my head.

Now as a gunsmith my PREFERENCE would be to work on Colt�s brand 1911�s that are as close to GI as possible. That way I can build them the way I want to build them and know that it�s all done right.

But there are a lot of reasons I have that preference, and one shouldn�t infer that because other brands don�t make my preference list that A � I won�t work on them, or B � They�re not good guns.

As to the �soft� statement�that�s a slippery slope; what is �soft�? Now if one were to take it in the actual context of the web page cited, then you have to take it in the context that perhaps they�re soft for .460 Rowland use. That doesn�t mean it�s a �soft� slide. Nor does it mean the slide is in any way inadequate for use with a normal cartridge. Like I said, one of my customers has WELL over 10k and probably double that on his custom RIA and when I last saw it, the lugs (as well as everything else) seemed just fine.

Truth be told, RIA slides are a good bit harder than a GI slide, and there are millions of GI guns and slides with a whole lot more than 10k rounds on them that are still in very serviceable condition. If GI slides could serve in the US military for 70+ years, I think the RIA fully heat treated, (GI slides are spot treated) slides can hold up just fine.

So one should be careful about the mental leaps we make when we read such things.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last time I checked, Taurus made the forgings for Imbel...

Say what? Whom did you check with?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JOG

One of my closest friends toured Taurus about 3 years ago. He saw the forging operation and there was a large bin of forgings and the gentleman whom was giving him the tour said they were bound for Imbel.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nobody checked the black Friday deal at Sportsman's Whorehouse did they! Instead there had to be an internet pissin match... crazy

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG

One of my closest friends toured Taurus about 3 years ago. He saw the forging operation and there was a large bin of forgings and the gentleman whom was giving him the tour said they were bound for Imbel.

Springfield says they use IMBEL forgings (and some >80% frames). Of course, that doesn't preclude some other business arrangement between Taurus and IMBEL.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Well I�ve never seen anything about Clark to make me think they don�t know what they�re doing. However, being a gunsmith myself when I look at their list, I do scratch my head.

Now if one were to take it in the actual context of the web page cited, then you have to take it in the context that perhaps they�re soft for .460 Rowland use.

So one should be careful about the mental leaps we make when we read such things.

I'll say it again to eliminate any confusion. The 1911 was converted to 45 Super/460 Rowland use, NOT 45 ACP. What better gunsmith to look at for this conversion but Clark Custom Guns, since it is one of their specialties.

Any resident internet gunsmiths, self-appointed experts, etc., that question what CCG says, or does, can take up their warped and misguided issues with CCG directly by using the phone number on the CCG website. This will eliminate any mental leaps being made in reference to what CCG says on their webpages.
The caller can also inform CCG where THEY feel there is an error in regard to CCGs firearm selections for their 460 Rowland conversion. Next, the firearms oracle can tell CCG what firearms are up to the said callers erroneous standards. Finally, the internet expert can inform CCG how to customize the firearm to meet their idiotic requirements for the 460 Rowland conversion.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As usual, you're full of dogshit with your usual revisionist observation of reality. Your "proof" consisted of nothing but a lot of "BECAUSE I SAID SO" bullshit. No material properties, no test results, no nothing. You know, your usual hallmarks. To cap that off, when I'm at work or hunting and not responding to your inane drivel, in your sheltered little world of Facebook ass-lickers, I have apparently become "butt-hurt and left."

And regarding your "as a gunsmith" claim: doing shade tree work on a few internet nerds dumb enough to send a gun to a moron like you doesn't qualify you for gunsmith status. By that measure, I ought to be a master gunsmith since I have access to a Bridgeport end mill, various lathes, parts cleaners, TIG/MIG welders, etc.

Any interaction with you always reminds me how I need to stock up on toilet paper and apply Rid-X to my septic system.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And the douche nozzle returns.

You offered no proof, just that you heard some gunsmith said they were soft. I offered the type of steel they were made from and a quote on metal treatment from the original importer of RIA(The Dealer Warehouse). However, since YOU made the claim, the onus is on YOU, not me. You were unable to even define what "soft" meant. In fact, I'd just about wager a month's pay that you STILL cant/wont define what "soft" is on a 1911 pistol.

The only thing you're capable of is spouting insults, and while that may make you a popular guy on your playground, adults prefer an actual rational discussion with REAL information. Arguing with you is like trying to argue with an autistic 12 year old (which isn't really fair to autistic 12 year olds).

So go ahead and snivel, I'm sure you have NO relevant data to offer but you have some really great one liners.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And the douche nozzle returns.

You offered no proof, just that you heard some gunsmith said they were soft. I offered the type of steel they were made from and a quote on metal treatment from the original importer of RIA(The Dealer Warehouse). However, since YOU made the claim, the onus is on YOU, not me. You were unable to even define what "soft" meant. In fact, I'd just about wager a month's pay that you STILL cant/wont define what "soft" is on a 1911 pistol.

The only thing you're capable of is spouting insults, and while that may make you a popular guy on your playground, adults prefer an actual rational discussion with REAL information. Arguing with you is like trying to argue with an autistic 12 year old (which isn't really fair to autistic 12 year olds).

So go ahead and snivel, I'm sure you have NO relevant data to offer but you have some really great one liners.
You're so f*cking stupid you don't even realize your post just reaffirmed everything I stated: it's all a load of "BECAUSE I SAID SO" bullshit.

You "offered the type of steel they were made from and a quote on metal treatment from the original importer of RIA" but no material spec sheet, no test data, etc.

My source is the same as MIVHNTR's: Clark Custom Guns.

Clark Custom Guns = credible source.

Kevin Gibson = some dunce with internet access.

The difference between people like you (morons) and people like me (realists) is this, Little Miss Kevin Bitch: you live your life in the virtual world. You're as brilliant as your imagination allows. I prefer to believe in science and known quantities. If CCG says those guns are crap, I'd tend to go with that vice what some overweight, middle-aged halfwit (i.e., you, Kevin) with too much time on his hands thinks.

If you would like to send an RIA 1911 to me for a full spectrum of NDE testing, I'd be happy to do so. However, I suspect you won't accept the results if they're not the answers you want.

And, yes, "douche nozzle," you have indeed returned.

P.S. I am going to spend the rest of this day deer hunting. Or, in your limited parlance, being "butt-hurt," since I won't be making timely replies.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Okay whatever you say slick. If I wanted to hear from an arse-hole I would have farted. Would have been a more meaningful conversation.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

I don't think either of you guys could pour piss out of a cowboy boot, with the instructions written on the heel!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (1lessdog, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,885 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,453,995
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.