Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
twofish Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Don't know what is up with this scope. I have had it many years and it was never easy to turn the magnification ring as is the case with alot of Leupolds but it seems to have gotten much worse over the last year.

It is now to the point of being difficult to move, especially in cold weather.

Any thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance for any advice on what may be going on.

twofish

*Master of random precision*
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
One of the neatest items developed for stiff power rings.

Alan

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=24&newcategorydimensionid=20835

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hunting parnter hand the same thing happen to him. Dirt and grime gets into the thread of the power ring. Send it in to Leupold and they will take care of it under warranty.

Nothing like a Remington 700xcr.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have you changed rings or ring placement that coincided with it getting harder?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This ^^^

I have seen this same issue personally with 2 Leupold scopes. A buddy of mine had a VX1 (which I recently bought from him) and when he tightened it in the rings the power adjustment would get harder to the point it was difficult to turn. Loosen the rings, it's fine. For him, the placement of the scope in the rings and perhaps a little too much torque on the ring screws was the issue. I have yet to mount it up, but figure if I have issues, I'll send it back to Leupold for repair.

My brother had the same issue with an old Vari-X II 3-9x40 he got on a used rifle. That scope was sent back to Leupold 4 times before they finally just replaced the tube. Turned out the previous owner got heavy handed with the ring screws too and ever so slightly dented the tube. It was almost invisible to see the dent. In the end, Leupold replaced the tube and the scope internals and all that remains of the original scope is the glass and friction adjustable turrets.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GSSP
One of the neatest items developed for stiff power rings.

Alan

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=24&newcategorydimensionid=20835

Nifty gizmo! Ridiculously expensive for something so simple. I had designed something similar in my mind, didn't know anyone made it.

My Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 has gotten so hard to turn the power ring that I recently e-mailed Leupold about it but haven't gotten a reply. I asked about sending it to them at the end of season.

twofish Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks to all for the replies. I will likely get a "Scope Throw Lever". I am sure the added leverage would make a tremendous difference.

I have remounted the scope not long ago. I try to pay particular attention to ring screw torque especially when using Talley Lightweights as I did in this case. I torqued the ring screws to 18 in/lbs when I re-installed the scope.

It was hard to turn in the prior mounts (Leupold Redfield style) but I don't remember it being this hard. I will remove the ring caps just to verify but I don't think that caused it although the coincidence with the ring change can't be denied.

Thanks,

twofish

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Send it back. They'll overhaul it pretty good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dooger

+1. When a scope gets to the point that adjustments become difficult, it's time for an overhaul.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
twofish Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mudhen
Originally Posted by Dooger

+1. When a scope gets to the point that adjustments become difficult, it's time for an overhaul.

I am thinking that this is the best option as well.

Thanks,

twofish

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Id send it back in. This seems to be a increasingly common malady with leupold and I don't know what they don't address it. I have a vx1 that has been that way since out of the box and Im not talking about just needing to break in a little. A buddy had to send in his rimfire model for the same reason. For some reason I have seen it mentioned with increasing frequency over the past 5-10 years but Im not sure why or what they need to do about it but with the good competition out there Im surprised that leupold hasn't dealt with it. Sort of disappointing as I am a leupold fan'

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
you have grit etc in there likely... putting a lever on there will only make sure you grind it in better and better.

Pull it off and send it in...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (1lessdog, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,919 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,454,007
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.