24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
#1. Cycling the slide is a technique thing. I have seen seven year old girls cycle a hammer down 1911 with an 18.5# spring. It is almost ALL in the technique.

#2. My wife shoots some and has shot my shield and her model 60 pro (3" barrel). She shoots the revolver quite a bit better than the shield, and she prefers it to the shield. She also shoots it better than a Glock 17.

BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I agree with Cariboujack - especially that new Ruger LCR with the 3" barrel.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I fall into the revolver camp with new shooters. There are plenty out there that are simple enough for a novice to handle. I think the LCR is a good example of that. Plus there is the choice of 22LR, 22 Mag and 38 special. If she is willing to stay with training and plenty of practice the Shield is a consideration but I think the M&P9c is a better alternative. I to have worked with many ladies in shooting classes and they seem to like the Ruger 6series with smaller pachmayer or Hogue grips. Also k frames with the proper grips. They are a little much to carry.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I like the idea of revolvers awfully well. They are easy to load, and unload. They are easy to see if they are loaded. There is no confusion as to whether a round is in the chamber. There is no safety to manipulate before firing.

While the 2 inch barreled J frame Smith and Wesson is not the easiest handgun in the world to shoot accurately at 25 yards, they are accurate at the 7 to 15 yardline and the 38 special chambering is adequate for self defense purposes.

Couldn't have said it better.

A new shooter has the simplest manual of arms to master. No safeties to remember in a moment of stress. The likelihood of a failure is vastly less than that of a semi-auto. No limp wrist or finicky ammo problems or other excuses for it to not function properly each time the trigger is pressed. And in the extremely rare event of a bad factory round misfiring, simply squeeze the trigger again. Aim and fire.

Simple and dependable.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I like the idea of revolvers awfully well. They are easy to load, and unload. They are easy to see if they are loaded. There is no confusion as to whether a round is in the chamber. There is no safety to manipulate before firing.

While the 2 inch barreled J frame Smith and Wesson is not the easiest handgun in the world to shoot accurately at 25 yards, they are accurate at the 7 to 15 yardline and the 38 special chambering is adequate for self defense purposes.

Couldn't have said it better.

A new shooter has the simplest manual of arms to master. No safeties to remember in a moment of stress. The likelihood of a failure is vastly less than that of a semi-auto. No limp wrist or finicky ammo problems or other excuses for it to not function properly each time the trigger is pressed. And in the extremely rare event of a bad factory round misfiring, simply squeeze the trigger again. Aim and fire.

Simple and dependable.

+1

Last edited by Hawk_Driver; 11/25/14.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When a woman walks into a gun store by herself to buy ammo, sometimes it is 380.

But when she comes in with a guy, she buys 38 special.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Ran my wife through the gamut of what I own and she, not me, landed on the 2 1/2" Ruger Security Six with 129 gr Federal Hydra Shok 38 Special +P's. This from a Kahr CW9 to a 45 ACP Commander with a fair bit in between.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife taught me that,it's not so much the gun,but where her finger lands on the trigger! She can rack a slide on any of our pistols,however her finger does not comfortably fall on the trigger and it makes her pull from the side.Plus,this causes a push and left side hits.She has very small hands.

I let her pick and her guns are a Ruger SR22,S&W K frame and a Colt 1911 in 9mm

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I got the wife a S&W 637. Its an airweight with the hammer and I put an Apex trigger kit in it. She dosent have the hand strength to shoot it double action for a very long time.

When we go to the range, she starts double action, then switches over to single action after a couple cylinders full. Then before shes done, she shoots a couple more cylinders full double action.

She likes the Glocks I have but she wasnt comfortable carrying one loaded in her car or dropping it in her pocketbook. She is comfortable with the revolver.

I have a Shield and carry it some but I find myself carrying a revolver more times than not myself. My vote would be with the revolver.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess that really depends on the woman.

For example, my ex-wife and mom did not have the hand strength to rack the slide of a semi-auto. Neither had any interest in learning techniques that would allow them to rack the slide easier.

They both were intimidated by the semi-auto as well. They both were attracted to my double action revolver, 4"GP100. It was a little heavy for them, so perhaps getting S&W K-frame, or Ruger SP101 or that new LCR I keep hearing about.

BTW, they both could easily handle the 38spec but refuse to shoot any 357mag after shooting a few rounds.

So for them, a revolver would be a good choice.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I bought my wife a SP101. I had to put a Wolff spring kit in it before she could shoot it DA.

later I bought me a S&W 3913. she carries the 3913 now, and I get the SP101...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 66niteowl
im planning on buying my daughter a carry gun for Christmas this year, thinking S&W shield in 9mm or smith 442. Thought or opinions please.

Better find out what she likes/prefers.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
You probably want it to be a surprise, but if possible let her handle, dry-fire, and shoot the options. My wife doesn't care for revolvers (where I was thinking she would go), she liked the small size of the Shield but didn't shoot it nearly as well as a Glock. So she ended up with a Glock which she thinks is perfect. She liked the G20, G22, and G23 and hated the G27 size.

As mentioned, technique does make a huge difference in racking the slide.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm partial to Rugers and generally prefer revolvers for simplicity and reliability. Depending on how she's going to carry it and how comfortable it fits her, I'd agree with others on the LCR or LCRX (hammer) or, for a semi-auto, the LCP. I'd also consider putting a Lazermax on either to really make aiming and shooting easier for her. There are nice lite loads available in either .380 or .38 if needed.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I would go with the semi-auto. More capacity + easier to shoot well= staying alive.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Both are good but the semi auto requires more training in order to be reliable under stressful (shootout) situations. Even law enforcement people need much more training to be able to work the slide, the slide lock, safety, mag release, etc under duress. A revolver is much easier to operate for most people, especiallly women who are just getting into handguns & might not be as familiar with how they operate. Reloads might be necessary but in most civilian shootouts that rarely happens. Also a weak grip, which can happen with a semi auto can cause a malfunction, jamming the gun. A good J frame revolver is what I always recommend when teaching ladies classes.

Dick

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
entirely depends upon the lady in question

if the wife carries, it's normally a jframe with laser sight

her bedside gun is a Glock 22, along with a spare mag, a surefire flashlight and a prepaid cell phone.

she won't train as often as I'd like her to, but damn she's a good shot, her hand eye coordination is exceptional.

a chick that's really into shooting, I'd opt for a semi auto

one that just wants to have a gun just in case, I'd probably opt for a revolver

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Depends if she is a knowledgeable shooter or not. The problem with semis and newbie or only sometime shooters is that they forget to drop the magazine before ejecting the round from the chamber. Then they eject the round, drop the magazine and think the gun is empty. This is the most common cause of AD's in handgun shooting.

I haven't shot many of the newer DAO semis lately, but originally their trigger pull was long and heavy. With very little money expended ,you can get a smith to do a good service grade trigger job on a revolver so that the DA pull is acceptable to a slimmer framed gal.

Get her a Lady Smith,38 SP put Crimson Trace laser on it which will help the grips also. That laser sight will take care of any hard to shoot accurately short barrel revolver that exist. It will give her more confidence in her shooting also.

Reloading quickly is a nonissue. If she is close enough to require using her defense firearm and doesn't stop the bad guy in5 shots, she is in more serious trouble than worrying about reloading.

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/26/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take her to a gunshop and have her handle various guns to see what she likes.

I'd followed the thinking of a DA revolver but when I took my wife to the range to shoot her Tauras 605 the DA trigger pull was too stiff for her. So if you do go DA revolver, make sure it has an excellent and fairly light DA pull.

The flip side is some autos have a slide spring that is difficult for women to rack.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I bought my S&W 640 I had Teddy Jacobson do a trigger job before ever live firing it.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
417 members (10ring1, 1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 43 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 924 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.