Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
BRoper Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi Everyone,
My name is Bob Roper, I'm a member of Idaho Varmint Hunters. I post on this forum from time to time but mostly lurk. I didn't really know where to post this but it concerns predator and varmint hunting and maybe eventually all hunting. There is a situation happening right now in Idaho. We, the club, have recieved an official letter from the BLM saying that of the first of the year we will have to buy a permit to hold any predator/varmint tournaments. We have never conducted a tournamenmt on any public ground. We don't tell participants where or wher not they can hunt. We only tell them to make sure where ever they hunt it is legal and if on private ground to make sure they have proper permission. There was a meeting held last week in senator Crapo's office in Boise. There were representatives there from the other repesentaves also, along with two representaves from our club and a woman representing the BLM. She didn't know much or couldn't give many answers. Every one there stated they were in opposition to this BLM policy and the senators said the were behind us all the way on this and would do all they could to put a stop to it. Also they are going to introduce legislation to give control of government lands to Idaho, within their borders. If bthe BLM gets this on in Idaho, it will happen in every state where there is BLM lands. And if they get it on for predator/varmint hunting you can bet they eventually include all hunting. This affects every one, no matter which state you live in. Do you want to pay a fee to BLM to come here and hunt nonresident, or any other state. Please contact your state reoresentatives and let them know how you feel about this. Also contact the Idaho repsentative and voice your opposition. And contact your BLM office, let's flood them with letter's. phone calls, e-mails. This is a long thread but we need everyones help on this matter. Thanks for reading.

Bob

s

BP-B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
BRoper: Sad - politics entering in to Varmint Hunting!
I wish you the best and will contact my Montana legislators and give the finger to the local blm offices every time I drive by.
Futile I am sure (fighting with a hussein obama led federal agency!) but will try these things.
Might I mildly suggest this, you guys maybe should NOT make a public target of yourselves (again) - just quietly and non-publically go Hunting!
Best of luck to you's and your association.
Wasn't it your association that got "targeted" last year?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

BRoper Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Varmint Guy,
Thanks for your support. We feel this is just the tip of the iceberg. They're just going to keep chipping awway at our rights and priviiges. Eventually we will have no places to hunt or it will be cost prohibitive. Pretty soon we will have no reason to own guns. We need to stop this now. Yes we were targeted two years ago for shooting ground squirrels. We caused so much commotion that the F & G relented and said we could shoot them in certain areas and they got so many hits on their website they had to shut it down We still hear rumors that they will eventually make shooting any ground squirrels illegal statewide. It's time for the citizens of this country to stand up and tell the government NO! We have way to much government in our lives.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Go underground and use word of mouth to get the word around.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where I hunt the Feds locked the gate to BLM land during the gov shut down. The local sheriff cut the lock off.

Reminds me of Robin Hood and the king's deer.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anytime you hold an organized event on BLM controlled land you need a permit whether it is a hotair balloon race, ORV event or rockhounding. Because your organized hunt will include BLM controlled lands you need to get permit, if a person is not involved in a organized event no permit is needed.

The PM Hunt and Convention ran into this a couple years ago and went to the BLM and showed that there was no organized hunting or prizes and the permit was waved.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
BRoper Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Not true, and besides, we DO NOT hold our events on BLM land and we donot them they have to hunt on BLM land. The BLM is not supposed to be a law inforcement agency. They are only supposed to oversee the land. We have talked to the I F & G about this. They said that all regulation of hunting comes under their control and the BLM cannot regulate it. They said that there is no regulation on coyotes in Idaho and we can hunt them as much or anytime we want and the BLM has no right to charge a fee to hunt on public ground. In this instance the F & G seems to be on our side. We also have our state senators on our side, hopefully we can back the BLM down. No matter what the BLM says that land DOES NOT belong them or the givernment. It is our, the citizens of this country, land.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It still sounds like an "organized event" problem because your competitors are using BLM land to compete in your event. Individual hunters are not required to pay a fee, just the organizing body.

I've had BLM and BLR folks help remove illegal no trespass signs and remove locks on gates that were put there by individuals to keep hunters out.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stand up to BLM and other out of control agencies! Kudo's to you and your members for making noise about this stuff. Please keep fighting the good fight.

Sherri and I are planning to lead a caravan of Eastern WA folks to the "I WILL NOT COMPLY!" anti I-594 rally in Olympia December 13th or there abouts (Date is on our calander, my brain - not so much... crazy )

Let us know if there will be any kind of public outcry or civil disobedience planned actions and we will try to be a part and bring some Eastern WA folks with us since it is a Federal issue.

Thanks for your warning and effort so far. You and your pals do not stand alone.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think erich has it right here. The key word is "tournament" which implies entry fees and prizes.

I personally know that the Salmon BLM office has been very open minded about a predator tourney up there which has sparked MASSIVE country-wide criticism.

I agree that we need to stay vigilant to protect our public lands for public use, including shooting and hunting. But opposing everything public agencies do is a waste of energy and dilutes the energy available when something really needs to be done.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would ignore the letter.

If you're not using BLM lands for your tournament, how can they force you to pay? Seriously, I'd ignore it and not fret a bit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some things I have found helps on Group hunting events. No Prizes, No Fee's, Event name needs to be non commercial. Event size is also an Issue. Camping on un Improved BLM is Free. Calling the event A Predator camp out will minimize the Local BLM interest. Invite the Hunters in the local USFS/BLM to join in to your Group Camp. Paid advertising in Public available Media turns a group camp out into a Commercial Event. Avoid it.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
So it's not really public land, it's government land. What is the difference between one citizen present versus a group of countrymen occasioning a spot? Just asking...

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We're experiencing the samething here in Arizona. We're hosting the World Championship Coyote Calling Contest this year, and we recieved the same letter from the BLM in Utah.

We do not tell hunters where to hunt, we just tell them they they need to be in compliance with all local, state and federal laws.

I can see what this is going to lead to... No more contests.

I think that I overheard that this just happend in Oregon too.

Wishing that we as hunters could bond together like the PETA people do and get some grass roots efforts underway to send a message to the Feds that we're citizen's and users of the land too.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It Is About Commercial Use of Public land. I do not Agree with the USDA or the Obama administration who is pushing this policy. But You can minimize your Exposure. By De-Commercializing the hunts.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Western Watersheds Project is the big money group which succeeded in getting the permit rescinded for the Salmon area Derby.

They, and others of their ilk are imposing their will by threatening lawsuits.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Bob,

Glad to see another Idahoan on the Campfire. I don't have any recommendations, but glad to bump the thread.

Consider bumping this to the Campfire (top) forum for a bit more exposure.

Last edited by Akbob5; 11/28/14.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
503 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 42 invisible), 2,528 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,973
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.