24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I get a ton of win range brass with the crimp and finally bought the Dillon swager. Pretty nice to have and set up with a spring, it's quick too. I called Dillon a while back to ask a question about set up and the guy was adamant that Winchester head stamped brass will not have a crimp. I assured him this stuff did but he'd have no part of it. Grumpy old man must've thought he had the inside scoop from Madaam Winchester herself. Haha

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
BP-B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've never seen crimped Win brass, but I'm not about to tell you it isn't there. I do like it though. Haven't had any problems with it. I quite buying brass after carefully prepping some LC and shooting near the same groups as the Lapua I had. Now I just sort through the stuff I find occasionally when I go shooting, and carefully prep. Since I don't need 1/4" accuracy, ever, I don't miss it if it doesn't show up.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now if they would only put out some 7WSM brass....

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by deflave
Aside from them looking like smashed beer cans the primer pockets have varied from JFC, to JF-goddammed-Christ.

Travis

Next Lightning storm that rolls through Montana, you better be running for cover.......IMO

A
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A
Just received the brass and after grabbing a couple different handfuls it looks pretty good no notable smashed beer cans I'll take some pics when I get a little more time, may have to pick up some more while it's available!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I put myself out of the brass market when I invested in 2k of Lake City brass all of the same year. I spent the time to clean them up, trim, and decrimp and now I just build my loads around them.
I don't even bother to pick up range brass anymore.
Everything was sized through a small base die and now whenever I want to load, I just grab a handful out of the can. I will pick up my own brass however, and they go into a separate can. When the new stuff gets low, I can start on them a second time.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
A
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A
LC is good brass!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Supposedly Remington brass is not crimped either. But I have some of that somewhere in the basement. I saved it as I have never seen it before. I was told that back when the Iraq war was going on that LC could not make enough 556 brass so they put out an order to whoever could send brass they would buy it. That may have been where the Win brass and the Rem crimped brass came from.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Good morning,

Thought I would throw my 2 cents in.

Everyone is crimping their brass now except Remington. I still see Winchester coming in without the crimps, but the FMJ stuff is all crimped. Must be their premium stuff isn't, but the white box is.

Remington isn't crimped. I get in about 2-3 million rounds of this brass a year and none of it has crimps. Federal and Speer ammo were being made at Lake City's plant by ATK (allowed to use excess capacity of Lake City's plant for their business needs)

Used to be Federal was the softest brass out there and would blow primer pockets before any other brand, but the dated stuff is pretty good. They also make it shorter- I've checked cases that were a few thousand under minimum case length after being fired and contacted Federal. They told me they did that so that it would function in all firearms.

Just some info.

Thanks, john aka Brassman Brass

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might want to check the primer pockets. I used to buy Winchester brass exclusively, but things went to crap a couple of years ago. Primer pockets in both 308 and 223 were too shallow on about 10% of the brass, which was a pain in the azz. I also had several flash holes not centered (don't know if that matters much). I also had brass with a fold in the neck. For your sake, I hope they have gotten a grip on QC by now.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B3

A
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A
I still need to take some pics but this is some nice looking brass, I've yet to have any issues with primer pockets and WW is what I generally use!

A
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A
Here's a couple pics of 3 random handfuls...[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Ackleyfan; 11/29/14.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I just loaded 1000 of these and had absolutely no problems with any of them. Neck sized, chamfered, and primed. Have another 1000 to do here directly.

Public landowner...
A
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A
That will keep you busy!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
224 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257robertsimp, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 851 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,793
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.