Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Looking to try out a different brand of scope on a new rifle. Looking at a Swarovski 3-10x42 or a Leica 2.5-10x42.

Looking for a lighter scope that isn't too big. One difference is the Leica has a 30 mm tube vs 1" for Swarovski.

Had any of a number of leupolds, Vortex, Zeiss and 1 NF over the years. Looking for some firsthand experience out there.

Thanks.

Respectfully,
Consider Schmidt Bender... You'll pay more AND you will have more in the end than either of those two scopes.

I own enough Leica gear to be classified a Leicaphile. That said their warranty is truly open to question. I've had difficulty with them that Doug at Cameraland had to fix. This with a lifetime passport no questions asked warranty. NO MORE LEICA until they stand behind the product.

I don't care for the adjustments on Swarovski Scopes. Plastic on plastic feel. Eye relief generally nothing to write home about...

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Have both the old PH/PF series Swarovski and the Leica ERs. Glass is fantastic on both. The Leica has better eye relief. I haven't needed their CS yet, but the Swarovski CS has been unparalleled so far when I needed it. Tough choice...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
FInd a Kahles CL with a one inch tube and don't look back grin . That said I own a Z3 4-12x50 which bit the dust on a 7 WBy after a few shots. I have it mounted on a 270 WIn now and it is a superb lowlight scope , very light and it fits in extra low optilocks on a Tikka T3. Swaros warranty service is beyond reproach and has always been that way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What Matt said is the one of the main reason's I went with the Leica ER. It has a solid 4" of eye relief and the scope was going to be on my 300 Win Mag.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I have a Leica 2.5-10ER. Very nice scope. I've used Leupold and also have a IOR 6+42. The Leupold's have been great scopes. My IOR I love. So far I've been very happy with the Leica. The clearest of them all for sure and the eye relief is the best, which is real important to me. Would I recommend to others, yes. The multi coatings are very good.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Looking to try out a different brand of scope on a new rifle. Looking at a Swarovski 3-10x42 or a Leica 2.5-10x42.

Looking for a lighter scope that isn't too big. One difference is the Leica has a 30 mm tube vs 1" for Swarovski.

Had any of a number of leupolds, Vortex, Zeiss and 1 NF over the years. Looking for some firsthand experience out there.

Thanks.

Respectfully,
Consider Schmidt Bender... You'll pay more AND you will have more in the end than either of those two scopes.

I own enough Leica gear to be classified a Leicaphile. That said their warranty is truly open to question. I've had difficulty with them that Doug at Cameraland had to fix. This with a lifetime passport no questions asked warranty. NO MORE LEICA until they stand behind the product.

I don't care for the adjustments on Swarovski Scopes. Plastic on plastic feel. Eye relief generally nothing to write home about...

Regards, Matt.

If we put aside the possibility of needing warranty work on the Leica ER scope, what makes the S&B better than the Leica ER scope Matt ? Which S&B are you referring to....The Summit ? .....or another model ? I know that our forum friend BobinNH has a Summit and says that, overall, he is happy with it, but, according to him, the reticle is noting to write home about for low light use. I'd have to agree with you about the Swaro 1 " scopes as there have been problems reported here about their durability when used on hard kickers, but like you said, their CS is beyond reproach. Of course, for me, CS is of little comfort when dealing with products that aren't built up to snuff. Frankly, I scratch my head when folks report how stellar a companies CS service is as I say to myself.....stay away from those products that need that many trips to the repair shop, while others wear a repair invoice as some sort of badge of honor. For me, the best Warranty/CS department is the one you'll (very likely) never need.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the leica reticle is thin like the summit isnt it?
the leica turrets are what turned me off...they were wayyy too ez to overspin, no resistance

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
FInd a Kahles CL with a one inch tube and don't look back grin . That said I own a Z3 4-12x50 which bit the dust on a 7 WBy after a few shots.

That's not unusual. The Swaro AV's and Z3's have crap internals.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
FInd a Kahles CL with a one inch tube and don't look back grin . That said I own a Z3 4-12x50 which bit the dust on a 7 WBy after a few shots.

That's not unusual. The Swaro AV's and Z3's have crap internals.

Geezus I'm glad someone agrees with me on this... smile

Anyone know anything about internals on the Kahles 1" 3-9? They any good?

RD the reticle on the Summit IS a bit thin.I'd be happier if it had a standard duplex....but we have to remember it is their version of a "mountain rifle", point and shoot-type scope,not a traditional euro-type low light glass.That said I have never lost the reticle aiming at deer.

This has nothing to do with its optics, which are fabulous,and seem to get better as it gets darker. It has not taken a back seat to anything I have owned in that regard,but I have not had them all. I am thinking hard on another one since my eyeballs are definitely changing and appreciate the great optics.

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/26/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RDFinn,
Sorry for the delay. I missed this...

I was actually referring to the Zenith Series. 99% of my business has been with the PMII line which is apple and oranges to the hunting scopes. Not that a ton of folks are not using PMIIs on top of their LR hunting rifles... That said I bought a 1.5-6x42 Zenith with a Flashdot 2 reticle that absolutely made me a believer in the Flashdot technology(which I had run for years in the Short Dot), however, combined with the German Post FD2 Reticle it has proven superb in lowlight and on moving game. I shot it on an 06' for a short while before it found a more permanent home on my John Ricks Model 70 in .375 H&H. I could not find a reasonable distance for my .375 H&H(350 yards) or a lighting condition that didn't make that scope a deadly combination... The reticle was likely sent over as a mistake, however, I really came to love it... Don't ask me why, however, I sold to a buddy for his 9.3x62mm Mauser that he was taking on a lifetime hunt. I've started to buy another several times and this post may well be the straw that breaks the camels back... It's not a thermal unit, however, for a rifle scope I found it damned impressive... It is my second favorite Schmidt Bender behind the PMII 4-16x42 CCW CM Gen 2...fwiw

It is not at a light scope, however, it is built like a tank. Heck, the Short Dots, which have been serving the GWOT for the past 12 plus years are basically a 1.1-4x20 Zenith with a BDC Ring on the elevation turret and a slightly different reticle. Though the German No. 1 was tried with goodly success there as well...fwiw & imho

Regards, Matt Garrett
757-581-6270

NRA Life Benefactor Member
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have two Leicas with the #1 reticle and really like them. Last nite I was out hunting with one and I have to say the glass and reticle is fantastic. Add that to the eye relief and it is a winner. I just hope that if I ever need their CS, it will have improved from the stories I've heard.

Bob- My Kahles 1" CLs (2-7 & 3-9) have been great so far. But I haven't been running them on anything bigger than a 30-06 right now. I think their CL line is one of the top scopes out there.

I wish more brands offered the #1 reticles. Used a Kahles CSX with one on a moose this October and can't say enough about it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ghostrider thanks for the advice on the Kahles. I had it in my hands for under $400 but was not sure. I had it in mind for a 270 or something similar. Think I will grab it. Thanks again.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I seem to recall that JB tested the latest version of the 1" Swaro scopes and he felt that they have beefed them up somewhat. I don't know if the Z3 internals are the same as the Z5's which use coil springs instead of leaf springs as they do on the weaker construction Z3's so how much of an improvement over the older Z3 is yet to be seen. As I've said earlier, the reticles used on the 1" versions of Swaro scopes leaves a lot to be desired (as far as low light is concerned). In fairness these "1 Swaro's are probably best suited for milder recoiling rifles, or at least from some of the reports illustrated here anyway.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I don't think there is a better all-around scope for hunting big game than the Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 - it's light weight, it holds zero, the price won't break the bank, it looks "right" on most rifles and it lets in as much light as my old eyes can see.

Is it perfect? Nope! I wish the 4A reticle was a bit thicker and I wish they'd offer it with a circle-dot reticle and it doesn't need to be illuminated.

I currently have one of them on each of 2 rifles and have the earlier Habricht version on a 3rd.

Disclaimer - I'm not much for shooting at unwounded animals much past 300 yards - I think the last time was 1973 in Montana and it's been a long time since I couldn't get closer than 200 yards.

Your requirements and/or preferences may differ.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
CS aside, I think that everyone's eyes are different. I have looked through a lot of Swarovski's and Leica's as well. To my eyes, the Leica's are better. Over the last few years I have been upgrading my scopes to Leica, have a Leica spotter, and use Leica bino's. I have never had any problem with any of their products, sans a pair of Ultravids I dropped and broke the retractable eyecups. I sent them back to them, and they fixed them very quickly.

So, in short, I think you would need to look through them both side by side in the same conditions, and I think your eyes will make the decision for you.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
FInd a Kahles CL with a one inch tube and don't look back grin . That said I own a Z3 4-12x50 which bit the dust on a 7 WBy after a few shots. I have it mounted on a 270 WIn now and it is a superb lowlight scope , very light and it fits in extra low optilocks on a Tikka T3. Swaros warranty service is beyond reproach and has always been that way.

I agree completely, I have a Kahles 3.5-10x50 KXI and a CL 4-12x52 and they are outstanding. Despite the larger objective they are easily mounted pretty low thanks to a trim design and are not to heavy.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 45 invisible), 2,263 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,554
Posts18,453,614
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.