Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Several of you here own exceptional Model 70 rifles from a local Estate via my refferal to same. Examples from the past 8 or so years being an unfired featherweight in 257 Roberts, FWT 308 and an unfired condition regular model 70 in 30/06 etc. Now belonging to my friends here at 24hrcf.

It seems as though another one of the heirs to this once outstanding collection has decided to sell another piece of it. The rifle will be coming from the same person who had the above pieces.

This one is also in 99% condition or thereabouts and is a TARGET model, with heavy barrel and factory (I am told) Target blocks. The screw holes do not look to be boogered up or messed with. No dings or missing bluing.

This rifle came up for sale just this afternoon, and the owner also has its mate, a Target Model, in 220 Swift. So far, the Swift is not for sale, but if someone here buys the 243 they will probably get first shot at the 220 Swift at a later date.

So, what is a fair price for this, ASSUMING that the description is correct? Any of you Winchester Collectors here want to own this? I do not have any cash to buy and flip and am not messing with that stuff any more. If someone wants it I will put you directly in touch with the current owner.

Current owner thinks the Rifle is worth around $3,000.00 but is willing to (wants to) hear from persons more knowledgeable than he. And I am not knowledgeable on such things any more. Been out of the loop too long.

Estimates as to its correct current value, if description matches actual condition, of course, would be appreciated. So far, the other rifles from this person have been in new to near new condition. I am not much help anymore as I have not purchased a new blue book of gun values in several years as I am not involved in the gun show stuff any more, though I still hold a C&R license until it is due for renewal.

I hope one of the good guys here can snap this one up. Assistance with a fair valuation and some interested parties perhaps would be appreciated.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
From what I have observed the past few years, $3000.00 (give or take a few hundred) seems to be the asking price. Have not seen one sell in awhile though.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by robertacabin
From what I have observed the past few years, $3000.00 (give or take a few hundred) seems to be the asking price. Have not seen one sell in awhile though.
h

Thank you. What is, in your opinion, a fair actual selling price for such a rifle? Asking prices with lots of blue sky are generally not useful, and this owner is more motivated to sell than to advertise it for eternity, hoping for that one guy that will pay top dollar.

Looking for a 'good, but fair deal' number for such a rifle, and maybe someone here who would like to make a run at it. Cell phone photos can probably be obtained tomorrow morning and sent.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
More info on this rifle. Owner Eric just called me and tells me that the rifle is in unfired new/mint condition. Rifle has, in its rather porky target stock, an integral sling adjustment tool from Winchester. Pretty interesting rifle, and I will get it into some good light for photos soon if someone here wants this piece.

Would it sell quickly at, say, $2700 plus actual shipping? What is a real world, sell it now, yet fair price? My aquaintance Eric, the owner of this rifle, is a fairly motivated seller but obviously wants a fair price for this family hierloom. I am but a messenger who thought that one of you Winchester collector types here might appreciate having a shot at this rather different and rare variant of the finest production rifle ever made.

Last edited by safariman; 11/26/14.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Gunbroker.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I agree about putting this one on GB. You will get much more eyes on the prize and probably get top dollar from guys with big egos and even bigger pocket books. With that being said, top dollar for one of these is $3,000.00 for a 98-100% condition specimen. Here are some numbers I'll throw at it from a very viable and useful reference:

The Red Book of Winchester Values, 3rd. edition:

90% condition: $2,100.00

98-100% condition: $3,000.00

I'd strongly suggest posting numerous photos of all angles of the rifle, if your intention is to sell it here on the fire. I don't buy into this bs about rifles being "99% condition" until I see them, generally in person is best for full appraisal. One last question: Does your buddies rifle have all original sights (front and rear)? Are the blocks original? Anything unoriginal on the rifle like butt plate. Pictures are worth a 1000 words. Get them posted and we can pick it apart, I mean give a full estimate based on what we can see...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Eric is not much on computers. GB might be a place to look for some selling prices, though. That said, I find that Gunbroker prices tend to be a bit over real market value at times.

I wonder if it would be legal for me to list it for him there on my now unused account, so long as the money went straight to him and he handled the shipping etc?

Would be more fun and rewarding for me if one of the collectors here wound up with it, though. Just like the several other nice model 70's I mentioned above.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I agree about putting this one on GB. You will get much more eyes on the prize and probably get top dollar from guys with big egos and pocket books. With that being said, top dollar for one of these is $3,000.00 for a 98-100% condition specimen. Here are some numbers I'll throw at it from a very viable and useful reference:

I'd strongly suggest posting numerous photos of all angles of the rifle, if your intention is to sell it here on the fire. I don't buy into this bs about rifles being "99% condition" until I see them, generally in person is best for full appraisal.

Thanks, and the owner knows that he would have to show the rifle and have it photographed well before anyone spent that kind of money on such a rifle.

Eric has become an aquaintance of mine largely by being one of the first responders when my wife has needed an ambulance for me here. Heck of a way to make a new freind! But what the heck, one of my emergency room Dr's happened to need some 416 Rigby ammo for a cape buffalo Safari last summer, and it was with ammo that I loaded up and supplied that he and his brother took nice Cape buff bulls with laugh

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
winpoor here probably knows more about the targets than anyone else here. As soon as you get some good pictures take, I'm sure many would like to see the rifle.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by safariman
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I agree about putting this one on GB. You will get much more eyes on the prize and probably get top dollar from guys with big egos and pocket books. With that being said, top dollar for one of these is $3,000.00 for a 98-100% condition specimen. Here are some numbers I'll throw at it from a very viable and useful reference:

I'd strongly suggest posting numerous photos of all angles of the rifle, if your intention is to sell it here on the fire. I don't buy into this bs about rifles being "99% condition" until I see them, generally in person is best for full appraisal.

Thanks, and the owner knows that he would have to show the rifle and have it photographed well before anyone spent that kind of money on such a rifle.

Eric has become an aquaintance of mine largely by being one of the first responders when my wife has needed an ambulance for me here. Heck of a way to make a new freind! But what the heck, one of my emergency room Dr's happened to need some 416 Rigby ammo for a cape buffalo Safari last summer, and it was with ammo that I loaded up and supplied that he and his brother took nice Cape buff bulls with laugh

We'd only be speculating and wild azzed guessing without some good pictures. As far as GB "being a bit over real market value", bull chit: Market value is based on any kind of sale: Internet or otherwise. If a particular rifle sells for $3,000.00 on an internet auction site, that rifle is worth that much on that particular day. No ifs and or buts about it. Now, "fair market value" is an entirely different subject..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good points all.

I will offer to take and post some pictures of Eric's rifle when the Thanksgiving Holiday and events wind down later this weekend.

Winchesterpoor actually has one (maybe a couple) of the other rifles from this collection and individual. I will look forward to his input on this one.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
winpoor has been trying to sell a few of his rifles. I'll bet if he didn't already have a nice 243 target, he'd probably already be all over this one. Keep us posted, it sounds like a dandy.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Im pulling from a sometimers,halftimers memory BUT I think Winchester made 680 Targets in .243 win. , The Varminter is the same gun but with a modified fwt . stock, they made 2400 of them. At the end of production a few left the factory with CM instead of SS barrels. To put any money on this gun we need detailed photos! Anything less is a wild azz guess! For some reason the .243 has enjoyed a comeback in last 2 years. Photos man photos!! I have delt with Safariman on a very nice transition gun back when my wife was sick and all went well. very best WinPoor

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Im bleeding money every day feeding cattle BUT with good photos I could find a place for this babydoll! Safariman was good and accurate on his description on ever how many guns I traded with him on but this one needs photos! Even half azz photos are better than none. I have a late Varminter with a CM barrel that I should sell as my 56' SS Varminter is a tack driver. We need photos! very best WinPoor

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Safariman, at the least get us a SN so I can do a little research. I wish the gun could be pulled apart, the trigger will have an upside down 'T' or the word TARGET stamped in the trigger shoe. I am very interested in the gun but I have started going over them very close. A lot of great guns have been popping up lately. Winpoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
winpoor ol buddy, you need to put your poker face on... grin

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Photos will go to Winchesterpoor and another member who requested them privately as soon as I am back in Walla Walla and can get them. Serial number will be provided as well.

I will put some photos here if given permission to do so by the owner just so you all can see the way cool old school rifle.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
Safariman, at the least get us a SN so I can do a little research. I wish the gun could be pulled apart, the trigger will have an upside down 'T' or the word TARGET stamped in the trigger shoe. I am very interested in the gun but I have started going over them very close. A lot of great guns have been popping up lately. Winpoor

THAT is some helpful information. I had no idea of the "T" stamp so I will look for this and try to photograph it when I get the rifle in my hands.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It's better to get photos out in the open so more eyes can be on the piece. It really helps to have input from many knowledgeable members than a select few. This protects both the seller and the buyer. Please don't beat around the bush about things like serial # info like you have done in the past. That only makes you look dishonest and untrustworthy..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, I got to handle and look this rifle over for a few minutes today. What a beauty! Nary a mark or wear indication upon it. Photos (13 of them, lots of detail and angles) have been sent to those who requested them. I will try to a post a couple of them up here soon as well. I have to get them from my I-phone to my computer and then onto photobucket. Not up to all of that right now.

Serial number, for those who wish to know, is 5609XX

Rifle has unused target blocks only for sighting arraingments. No sights. Scope mounting screws do not look to have ever been touched by a screwdriver. Very wide forend with sling adjuster and position shooting type sling attachment. 26 inch bull barrel. Zero bluing loss anywhere including the bolt, extractor, raceways, muzzle, floorplate etc. no finish loss on the stock save for a couple of VERY minor handling marks that would dissapear with some Old English but I nor the rifle's owner are going to attempt to cover the only and very insignificant marks.

I hope that one of the great fellows here at the 'fire gets to add this to his collection.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 11point, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,835 guests, and 1,386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,472
Posts18,451,746
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.