Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Am I right in remembering that the XTR fwt stocks were somewhat slimmer than the current generation? I was handling a nice current fwt (7x57) yesterday and seemed to remember the earlier (pushfeeds anyways, perhaps even the classics) being a little slimmer through the grip and the forearm areas.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yes, I prefer them over the new FWT pattern. They just seem too much like they are pregnant with their fat bellys...Why did they change a good thing????

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Is it just me (working from memory) or were the classic fwt stocks also slimmer?
I was surprised at how "big" the stock on the 7x57 was. For me, somewhat out of proportion for the cartridge and I sure wouldn't be crazy about that stock on smaller cartridges like a Roberts. (that and the long action!)

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
In my opinion the XTR stock was the same as the classic stock.(I dont have an XTR featherweight to compare but have handled a few) I do have a couple of classic featherweights, and an unfired FN featherweight and an unfired FN featherweight assembled in portugal. The classics are definitely slimmer and faster handling than the fn made in usa, although it is still nice. The featherweight assembled in portugal has the clunkiest stock. It also has a very dull finish. Dont know if it was made that way to be a little less shiny or was a cost cutting move. . I did take measurements which confirmed the above , but threw out the sheet as I am keeping them anyway, at least until I shoot them . AS long as Im on this rant the metal work on the FN USA is excellent. Both lugs make full contact safety works etc. The one assembled in portugal, only one lug makes contact, and the safety is so stiff that my wife (who the rifle is for) cant move it from on to the safe position.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks, good stuff to know.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by rbell
In my opinion the XTR stock was the same as the classic stock.(I dont have an XTR featherweight to compare but have handled a few) I do have a couple of classic featherweights, and an unfired FN featherweight and an unfired FN featherweight assembled in portugal. The classics are definitely slimmer and faster handling than the fn made in usa, although it is still nice.
I agree with most of that...the change for me is that I don't care for the new FN Fwt stock at all. I think a 1" pad in black has no business on a featherweight and looks like chit, and that's not to mention the stock dimensions. I'd take XTR over the FN stock any day for looks and feel. And although I have zero plans to own a FN Fwt, if I did, it would get a new stick in heartbeat.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have several new FN Model 70's, including two JOC Tributes. All are extremely nice but I do notice a slight difference in hand as the JOC's feel almost perfect, just slightly different than the regular FN super grades. None are the Portugal models.

In fact just picked up another Cabelas Ltd. .257 Roberts. Was a new one just put out at my local store. On sale plus additional discounts and Winchester has their annual holioday tax rebate going on.....a no brainer. All the new FN' super grades I have plus one 2008 Ltd. Edition Featherweight are equal to the looks of this new one stock wise. Beautiful wood.

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SS30ANV/media/3rd257a_zps5ac46181.jpg.html][Linked Image]

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SS30ANV/media/3rd257b_zps6a667b3d.jpg.html][Linked Image]

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's a beautiful rifle. Speaking of 2008 limited editions, I just sold mine. Most of those had very nice wood and mine was no exception. I'm thinking the new owner will be very happy with it. Your Cabela's limited 257 sure is nice. I like the fact that there is no cheek piece. I'll bet that one would fit me just right. All the cheek piece does for me is add weight to the stock since I shoot lefty grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (358WCF, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 23 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,645
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.