Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
What do you guys use? I've been borrowing an old commercial grade grinder from a friend, but he moved last year. I'm thinking about buying a 1/2 or 3/4 hp grinder from Cabela's. Anyone here have any experience with this particular brand of grinder. I'd appreciate your input and would like to hear what you use. Thanks....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Which ever one you choose to buy,I would recommend at least one with a #12 size grinder head.The smaller ones have a tendency to clog up easier,thus making the chore quite flustrating.Choosing a grinder is something sometimes you have to bite the bullet and spend a little more and get something good.You will be glad you did when you use trouble free equipment.I have an old small commercial grade grinder I picked up on Ebay about ten years ago for a $100.00.It weighs about 60lbs,has a #12 Hobart head and will grind meat all day long.Looked at Ebay and found one just like mine.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTEDGE-12-...en_Appliances_US&hash=item5d52537d5e

Last edited by baldhunter; 11/27/14.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bass pro/lem
cabelas
weston
all work well,wife bought me the #5 lem sold thru bps. it works fine. they have them on sale this time of the year. i've used the big #12 #22 old style grinders and i don't see were i need that big a grinder. plus mine is easier to clean and takes up alot less space when storing then a big grinder and a seperate motor.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a cabelas 1hp, lots of grinding still going strong

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I have a 3/4hp from cabelas and it will grind meat faster than I can push it in. I love it and would recommend the same to anyone.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cabelas has them on sale beginning today too

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think it was Utah Lefty that posted up a home built job that looked great. Pasted a link with instructions as well.

It'd for sure be easier and quicker to just order one from Cabelas, but I'd rather tinker with building one.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by eh76
Cabelas has them on sale beginning today too

I saw that. The 3/4 hp is $369.00 if I remember correctly. I'm leaning in that direction. I appreciate every one's input on this. I agree about spending a little extra to get something a lot better. Thanks for the help guys. It is much appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Cabela's 1HP works great for us......five moose and four caribou through it this fall.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have this unit. Meat is a'feared of it. Dead deer have been known to get up and run back to the deer cart at the sight of it.

LEM GRINDER

http://www.lemproducts.com/product/lem-12-electric-grinder/butcher-meat-grinders

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
most grinders that are sold by the big stores are made by weston.from what i hear lem has theres built by someone else ,but the are very good machines.mine says basspro and lem on it.some are cheaper at bass pro even with them buying them from lem.i guess they get a deal because they sell more in the big stores

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bro in law and I both have 3/4 hp cabelas. His sees a few deer, an elk, some pork, and a lame beef bull we ground up into burger. They grind as fast as you can add meat. Dad has a 1 hp cabelas. It's just as good.

Last edited by Cheesy; 11/27/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
3/4 HP Cabela's works great for me. It is large enough that you don't have to worry about every tiny piece of silverskin being trimmed off, as it won't clog up like the cheapie grinder we used to use.

I can't imagine needing anything larger than the 3/4HP unless you routinely are doing maybe elk or more than 6-7 deer. We did 3 deer and it was hardly warmed up....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FishinHank
I have a 3/4hp from cabelas and it will grind meat faster than I can push it in. I love it and would recommend the same to anyone.

I have the same. Love it. Plenty of capacity and speed.

Now with even more aplomb
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Same story with mine watch for the sales and get at least 3/4 hp you will be a happy camper.
Originally Posted by FishinHank

There are no problems that cannot be resolved by the suitable application of high explosive.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks guys. Much appreciated. I ended up going with a 1 hp model. Seems like this is something you don't want to skimp on. I'm used to a bigger commercial grade grinder anyhow. I appreciate your input..

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,578 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,012
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.