Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#9364810 11/25/14
Bruzer Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Besides the obvious of simply screwing the Alaskan tie barrel on to the standard Remington 700 that I currently have I was wondering if there were any chamber options which might allow me to obtain a significant speed increase and possible accuracy increase?

The barrel again is a 26 inch factory new take off with a 10 inch twist and the base action is a Remington 700 Sarah coated in Matte black.

This is all bedded into a H&R forest green with a black spiderweb stock.

My cheap semi custom option are the following:

1.Ream to 300Norma or 300RUM
2)Have the entire rifle,barrel,Stock,Scope,Bottom Metal,Burris Bases etc... In Digital Desert Camo.
3)have the flutes polished to a mirror finish as well as having the bottom metal and barrel laser at just so that I'm never tempted to sell this rig as it is the base of the first rifle I ever purchased for myself.$329 out the door�at Satterfields Sporting-Goods one Friday Night when I decided to upgrade from my Marlin 35REM to a "bolt gun".

Any ideas?

Thanks

Robert

Bruz

"Honor,Courage and Character"

NRA Lifetime Member

Bruz
"You can't scare me.........I have kids"

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Sorta hard to follow all of that. What caliber is it now? Do you reload?

I wouldn't worry about a camo job at this point. Get the caliber, speed and accuracy you're happy with first.

I'm no pro, but I'd re-barrel with a custom first. While I'm at it, I may even true the action. I'm guessing the stock is workable, have it scim bedded and maybe even pillar bedded if it's not already.

Also, why do you want more speed?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dooger

Also, why do you want more speed?

Somebody in Michigan go over to Doogers home and re-posses his rifle looney card! grin

We hunters have been craving more speed since the plain spear was replaced by the Atlatl, which was replaced with the bow and arrow.... etc. The new 26 Noozler and good sales of the sorta new 204 Ruger is evidecnce that out thirst for speed is still alive and well.

Bruzer, my favorite 30 caliber is the 300WBY. Easy re chamber from a 300 WinMag.

300 WBY's are, IMO and and IME quite accurate and versatile. I have had a couple of 300 RUMS, (Took my biggest Elk, Eland and Kudu with one) and a couple of 300WBY's and I like the 300WBY's far better. Both can push a 180gr pill to 3200fps, or a 165 to 3400 or thereabouts. Flat shooting and deadly. The WBY does so with a lot less noise to my ears. All of the rifles were unbraked. Before doing the re chamber, I would firelap the barrel. After having the re chambering done, I would clean down to bare metal in the bore then treat it with UBC.

Good luck and good hunting!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Haha, I hear ya. I'm just wondering if it's smart for him to do so. There's other things that come with speed though...in some instances. But, for instance, is 100fps gain worth a couple pounds of recoil in a particular chambering...for Bruzer? Don't answer that.

I'm considering downgrading to 2800 fps, but it's for my own reasons.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What is it now a .300 Win Mag? Personally, that's about the limit of what I want in terms of velocity / bullet weight. I went through that whole process of what to rebarrel a M70 .338 Win Mag to. I considered the .300 Weatherby, 7mm Weatherby, and the .300 Win Mag.

In the end the .300 Win Mag won - it's more gun that I'll ever need and it shoots 180g pills 3070 fps. Both the 300 Norma and 300 Ultramag use a LOT more powder to get 5% (give or take) more velocity.

Personally, I'd lose the factory barrel and use a good aftermarket tube in the same or smaller rounds.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You gotten some pretty good advise already.
If your stuck on 30 cal
And its a mag now, just rebarrel into a 300 Win mag.
Take that factory stuff out to the garden and drive it into the ground right next to the tomato plant.
I could never see putting money into a factory tube.

Both the 300Norma or 300RUM take meat on both ends.
Depending on what your hunting I'd look for something that kicks less.
The 257 Weatherby comes to mind.

The 300 Norma will require the bolt face to be opened up.

Find a good gunsmith.
Listen to him.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by safariman
We hunters have been craving more speed since the plain spear was replaced by the Atlatl, which was replaced with the bow and arrow.... etc.

Not all of us. Once the bow and arrow was replaced by the .308, lots of us realized it was enough for what we do.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
We hunters have been craving more speed since the plain spear was replaced by the Atlatl, which was replaced with the bow and arrow.... etc.

Not all of us. Once the bow and arrow was replaced by the .308, lots of us a a littrealized it was enough for what we do.

And some drive to the mountains in a Model "A" pickup because that is all that one needs in order to get there, 99% of the time crazy

Just razzing ya a little. My last aquisition pushes 250gr 35 cal bullets at a fairly pedestrian 2500fps. My guess is that if I properly point it at an elk, it won't bounce off.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole

Not all of us. Once the bow and arrow was replaced by the .308, lots of us realized it was enough for what we do.

+1 with only a slight addition that, for me, it's more that the 308-ish velocities that seem to always be in my sights.

Having never been much of a follower, the paths of interest to me rarely include MORE velocity. Being an old codger the addition of a lighter, balanced rifle in a round that is pleasant to shoot just makes me want to shoot it MORE. Lots of excellent rounds on the market can give a guy that but where's the fun in THAT? laugh BOOOOOOOOOOORING!! LOL!

Not living in the wide open spaces of out West where "long range" has an entirely different meaning compared to here in the Corn Belt the only "gain" I see in going for broke velocity wise is in recoil and muzzle blast and while one could dampen such a little with barrel length and rifle weight, then my "gain" would be I would be MORE likely to leave it set more often.

Wildcats of the current project (one case, 3 bore sizes) are aimed at a "niche" I see in the rounds available not yet filled, regardless of 99 percent telling me such does not exist. Velocities ARE involved of course but are so involving thoughts on efficiency.

I am 100 percent of only a these few things though.

I have a heck of a pile of fun doing this and I know I WILL like them and they will "work" (take game), mission accomplished.

The VERY few knowing any details insist all I'll "gain" is finding out they wont accomplish what I SAY they will. Ok, such is still a gain, IMHO. The more I learn and understand the more fun all this is, to me anyway.

Being a hunter from my toes up, the first buck I took with a DIY rifle round that resulted from all the thinking and finding all the pieces and parts required coupled with the immense amount of time needed to do so, making brass and then getting it done, I found I'd just "discovered" yet another way to gain immense amounts of satisfaction from hunting........again.

Sitting next to that buck, I was grinning pretty hard and all I could think was

"DAMMIT....that was FUN! Let's do dat agin!!" ( in my best redneck accent )

So nope. I'm no help. Sorry for the intrusion.
Just an old fart rambling about his current passion.

AS a young man in the late 60s I bought a 700 BDL in 7mm Remington mag for my "ground hog rifle". Then, all the muzzle blast and resulting carnage from the splat of the bullets hitting one was "cool".
Today I'd be using the case to cut it back into something more inline with my old man desires. smile

God Bless

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
S692,
I hear ya... I am winnowing down to a few pedestrian chamberings, and loading those for even more pedestrian velocities... And stuff still dies.. and Yes, they are a lot more "fun" to shoot, so they get shot more...

To the OP,
Rebarreling with a nice aftermarket barrel is never a bad choice. You can choose the contour, twist, length to suit what it is that you are really chasing. If it is speed, a little longer tube will help burn more powder completely before it "flashes" out the end of the barrel. If it will be a "kicker", a little more "meat" in the barrel will help mitigate the recoil. At least slow down the heat up. Regardless of what path you go, Good Luck with your build !

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Steve692
Having never been much of a follower, the paths of interest to me rarely include MORE velocity. Being an old codger the addition of a lighter, balanced rifle in a round that is pleasant to shoot just makes me want to shoot it MORE. Lots of excellent rounds on the market can give a guy that but where's the fun in THAT? laugh BOOOOOOOOOOORING!! LOL!

Not living in the wide open spaces of out West where "long range" has an entirely different meaning compared to here in the Corn Belt the only "gain" I see in going for broke velocity wise is in recoil and muzzle blast and while one could dampen such a little with barrel length and rifle weight, then my "gain" would be I would be MORE likely to leave it set more often.

Well, I've been to the mountaintop (so to speak) of high velocity and wildcats like the 7 Mashburn, and I still own a .300 Weatherby and a few WSMs, but I find that I didn't shoot them a lot any more. Because I know I can do most anything I need to do with the .308 family.

The real advantage to flat-shooting magnums is in extending your point-blank range but if you're talking about long-range shooting you're past that anyway and you'll be determining range in the field, compensating for elevation, reading wind, and shooting a lot in order to get proficient with all that. You'll also be developing a load that shoots well at long range. All of that's best accomplished with a mild recoiling round, easier on the body and the wallet.

IMHO.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 2UP, 27 invisible), 1,735 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,619
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.