Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 21 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
Originally Posted by shrapnel

There aren't 5 guys total, on the Campfire that could have pulled this hunt off. After a few more pages, I may reveal more about this hunt than anyone reading this could possibly ever guess...

Spill your guts.

That is really a question for Travis...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been think about mule deer, Aoudad, or bufflers next year. But I've never hunted elk, and it would be "uber" to get one on the first try... smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
There is always another invitational...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've been fielding questions for you.

That keeps me at the top of the invite list.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C'mon spill it deflave what makes it a 5-man possible hunt?

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Fugg it flave if you are anything like me you walked out of there thinking, Yeah I fugged up but nobody could have fugged this up better than I did.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
C'mon spill it deflave what makes it a 5-man possible hunt?

Mike

You, you, you mean I might be in the running for hunting with Travis? Hell, I can pack bullets. smile

Last edited by eyeball; 11/26/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations on the elk, 'Flave...

And great hunting story. How many beers were you down after the hunt when you came up with the story???

"Chances Will Be Taken"

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Great thread.

Made for a great start to a Monday morning.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

No one could have pulled it of better than flave, given the adversity of the hunt.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Ok, so long story as short as possible:

First off, shrap has the art of one day/weekend hunting down to a science. We went to the spot well before sunup and started glassing as soon as we could. Spotted elk and checked wind. Shrap dumped mini-'flave and I off and then he went back to town to get the breakfast he wouldn't let us have before heading out.

Mini and myself headed up to the top where the elk were spotted. I'd say it was 1K' up. Wind in our face and moving west toward the elk we were more than a little confident the whole time. We check location of the herd by cresting the ridge on occasion and getting within line of sight. Then we'd creep back toward the edge of the timber and continue our creeping.

Got within 200yds and low crawled up to a shooting position. Everything with headgear moved away but the cows were in a huge ball of couldn't shoot. Chambered a round and waited a bit as I figured there would be a loner some time soon and I'd smoke it. Opportunity was aaaaalmost there, but the last straggler had another cow moving behind her so I held off. No big deal, they dropped down into a draw with a bunch of timber but the opposite side was clear and I figured they'd reappear. Ranged it quick and it was 300yds to the other side. Well within range of my incredible deadliness.

As luck would have it, I didn't have to wait. There was a cow bedded on the other side. I'd have to thread the needle through a clearing in the timber but she was only 200yds out. The luck o 'flave rang again. As luck would further have it, I was able to stand and use a tree as a support. This elk hunting schit was gettin' easier by the second and I laughed as I thought about all the fugging morons in this world that think it's difficult. Further proving that God loves me, the cow stood up, and gave me a perfect broadside. I let the breath out, smiled and squeezed the trigger. "Click."

"Fugg..." as I rack the bolt and am rewarded with a jam. 'WTF?' I look in the chamber and sure as schit there is a round in there. 'Why will it not fire? Why will it not extract?' 'Fugg it... who cares...try it again.' I close the bolt and hold just behind the shoulder of the still there stupid ass cow. "Click."

I drop down to a knee and move back. 'WTF could be causing this?' I look around for a stick long enough to run down the barrel and then a thought enters my mind. 'It won't extract and it won't fire because it's a 22-250 case!' I angle the gun so I can see the headstamp in the sunlight and sure as Gruff is gay, I see "250 Win" light up in the chamber of my 7-08. "FUGGG!!!!"

I don't despair because I have a long history of luck outweighing my habitual habits of being a slob and procrastinator. I dump the mag and grab the Leatherman and start tapping against the stock. Mean time I am glancing at the opening where I saw the cow. She's gone, but since Christ still loves 'flave there are about 6 cows standing on the clearing I'd originally hoped they show up on. As I repeatedly whisper "C*nt, fugg, Wish I bought a Sako..." etc. I look back at the cows and as I do I hear "tink." I look in the snow and there is a 22-250 cartridge laying in the snow. "HAHAAHA! Fugg yeah!" I whisper.

Down and back to a ridge so I can take the shot. Just as I low crawl to the rocks I was going to shoot over, the last cow disappears into the timber. I know my luck never runs out, so I wait. Sure as schit... three more elk. All bulls.

So on that note, I dropped a few more expletives, and walked back to my son who was observing the whole time. He never looked so proud to know I'm probably not his real dad. Then, we got the fugg out of there.

The End.

Travis

I'm in tears reading this. LMAO!

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Col Travis, we are not laughing at you. We are laughing, oh fugg it, at you. wink

We have been waiting for the finish where you got your elk. Now feeling
sorry you apparently didn't.

Sorry to hear you took the wrong gun. frown

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm trying to figure out why he didn't make friends with one of those home owners and shoot one from their back porch. Either that or wait till evening when they come in to feed with the cows.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Reading this thread sure makes me thankful which is a good thing to be this time of the year.. smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by okok
Originally Posted by deflave
Ok, so long story as short as possible:

First off, shrap has the art of one day/weekend hunting down to a science. We went to the spot well before sunup and started glassing as soon as we could. Spotted elk and checked wind. Shrap dumped mini-'flave and I off and then he went back to town to get the breakfast he wouldn't let us have before heading out.

Mini and myself headed up to the top where the elk were spotted. I'd say it was 1K' up. Wind in our face and moving west toward the elk we were more than a little confident the whole time. We check location of the herd by cresting the ridge on occasion and getting within line of sight. Then we'd creep back toward the edge of the timber and continue our creeping.

Got within 200yds and low crawled up to a shooting position. Everything with headgear moved away but the cows were in a huge ball of couldn't shoot. Chambered a round and waited a bit as I figured there would be a loner some time soon and I'd smoke it. Opportunity was aaaaalmost there, but the last straggler had another cow moving behind her so I held off. No big deal, they dropped down into a draw with a bunch of timber but the opposite side was clear and I figured they'd reappear. Ranged it quick and it was 300yds to the other side. Well within range of my incredible deadliness.

As luck would have it, I didn't have to wait. There was a cow bedded on the other side. I'd have to thread the needle through a clearing in the timber but she was only 200yds out. The luck o 'flave rang again. As luck would further have it, I was able to stand and use a tree as a support. This elk hunting schit was gettin' easier by the second and I laughed as I thought about all the fugging morons in this world that think it's difficult. Further proving that God loves me, the cow stood up, and gave me a perfect broadside. I let the breath out, smiled and squeezed the trigger. "Click."

"Fugg..." as I rack the bolt and am rewarded with a jam. 'WTF?' I look in the chamber and sure as schit there is a round in there. 'Why will it not fire? Why will it not extract?' 'Fugg it... who cares...try it again.' I close the bolt and hold just behind the shoulder of the still there stupid ass cow. "Click."

I drop down to a knee and move back. 'WTF could be causing this?' I look around for a stick long enough to run down the barrel and then a thought enters my mind. 'It won't extract and it won't fire because it's a 22-250 case!' I angle the gun so I can see the headstamp in the sunlight and sure as Gruff is gay, I see "250 Win" light up in the chamber of my 7-08. "FUGGG!!!!"

I don't despair because I have a long history of luck outweighing my habitual habits of being a slob and procrastinator. I dump the mag and grab the Leatherman and start tapping against the stock. Mean time I am glancing at the opening where I saw the cow. She's gone, but since Christ still loves 'flave there are about 6 cows standing on the clearing I'd originally hoped they show up on. As I repeatedly whisper "C*nt, fugg, Wish I bought a Sako..." etc. I look back at the cows and as I do I hear "tink." I look in the snow and there is a 22-250 cartridge laying in the snow. "HAHAAHA! Fugg yeah!" I whisper.

Down and back to a ridge so I can take the shot. Just as I low crawl to the rocks I was going to shoot over, the last cow disappears into the timber. I know my luck never runs out, so I wait. Sure as schit... three more elk. All bulls.

So on that note, I dropped a few more expletives, and walked back to my son who was observing the whole time. He never looked so proud to know I'm probably not his real dad. Then, we got the fugg out of there.

The End.

Travis

I'm in tears reading this. LMAO!

I'm sure Travis was in tears when he was writing it too... whistle laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Damn good thing that 22-250 didn't go off in that bbl and did indeed, gut or ass-shot that fat cow , They'd still be out there lookin' fer the pore thing !

Maybe not directly related, But a goof-up nonetheless -------

At the ripe young age of 17 my pal Joe & I were going to do a one dayer up in the mtns and were gonna drive up the nite before and sleep in the car til hunt time .
Joe showed up about 6 pm (dark & snowin like hell} the nite before and came in the house to chat with my Mom while I loaded my stuff in his car.
My first trip was an armload of blankets, & huntin clothes and on the way out the door, I reached down & hooked my boot laces (tied together) with a finger under the clothes to carry them to the car. Keep in mind it was snowin' like crazy.
Went back in to find Joe in a long discussion with Mom ! Finally , out we went into the storm ,piled into the car , and off we went.
Got up into the Mtns fell asleep a few hrs and got up to don our hunt gear ,and lo & behold , my boots were not anywhere in the car ! I had worn a pair of shoes on the way up, but I did have a couple pairs extra of tall Boot socks . Well , after a moment or two of cussin' & contemplation , I pulled the boot socks right on over the shoes, and into the woods we went! We followed the trail in about a mile & when it ended , the snow got really deep ,so I took a stand right off the trail. Joe took off to my left , and went on in farther. 'Bout a half hour passed, and another hunter comes in along the trail,now being full daylight, He takes one look at me standin'there in the socks and just walks away shakin' his head! Couple hours later a nice Buck comes toward me from the way He went in , and I dropped him right close to the trail!
We got home late, hung the Deer,and when Joe left, I hit the sack.
When I got up the next morning, my Mom informed me that one of my Dad's hunt buddies had come by the nite before to drop off some venison from an earlier hunt. When I looked around for my boots and couldn't find them, I started to think back, and recalled carryin' 'em out to the car the nite before .
Out I went with the snow shovel , and sure enuf, in short order uncovered my boots containing a pair of wool socks in each one, along with a thermos of coffee & one of vegetable soup in them; All smashed to bits inside the boots, from bein' run over , TWICE

Last edited by nitrosonic; 12/27/14.

"Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting" (Colonel Townsend Whelen)
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Great story

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So.... Has an elk been tagged yet? Surely there's a heroic story of redemption to end this.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
I'm trying to figure out why he didn't make friends with one of those home owners and shoot one from their back porch. Either that or wait till evening when they come in to feed with the cows.

Col Travis likes to do it the hard way. You know, givem a freakin chance in this age of long range hihg powered telescopic gun rifle scope sights.

Some hunters of his skill prefer actions designed to limit their kill rather than being game hogs like Shrapnel who shoot for shooting their limit and using equipment appropriately designed for doing so.

Col Travis could have taken advantage of guns offered by Shrapnel but he took the road less traveled in order to give the game a sporting chance.

Rarely can any other hunter say he takes such a road less traveled.

Last edited by eyeball; 01/08/15.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Travis...this was almost as good as the Zombie PrairieDog that got away..almost... You did get the practice target I sent you...

This is God speaking to you in both instances...DITCH ALL THE OTHER GUNS AND USE THE .22-250!!!

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Page 18 of 21 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

281 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 36 invisible), 2,806 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,625
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.