Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

Once in a while Travis gets lucky.

grin

The secret is to just keep firin'... grin.

GFY.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by deflave
I think the term "long range hunting" is a bit of an oxymoron because it sort of implies that you would not shoot an animal at short range. It implies the hunter is handicapping themselves and that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

It is difficult to attend the Icebreaker shoot and leave, saying people should not shoot at long range. Reason being is that steel from 1,000yds in, get the ever living schit shot out of it all day, everyday, and that is while shooting very far from ideal conditions and includes a fairly diverse group of shooters and equipment on the firing line.

I shoot at a public range almost exclusively and typically shoot 3 days a week. I enjoy shooting at a public range because it often makes me the center of attention and I also talk a lot. It is pretty rare to meet a shooter that will consistently hit steel past the 300. And I would say one out of 10 shooters connects at the 300 and below 100% of the time. I'm not trying to sound like a snob, but that is what I have observed in a fairly gun savvy community.

I have had a number of shooters ask about my rifle and equipment after they hear the steel consistently ring a few long seconds after I fire. They rarely listen to a single fugging thing I say and basically tune out once they figure out they cannot buy the entire package at Big R.

I am also frequently asked why I don't use a wind gauge. When I explain it does no good due to the wind shifting direction three times (wind is brutal at our range as the targets lay at the bottom of a coulee) people typically look at me as though I'm a moron. Which could be true, but so is what I tell them about the wind.

At the end of the day, shooting long range makes you a better shooter. Period. The better you are, the better you are. Period.

I don't mean to sound like a prick but the vast majority of shooters and hunters I meet are morons. And I mean, really fugging stupid. Both ethically, fiscally, physically, mentally, etc. When you get really stupid people trying to shoot animals far away, bad things happen. But guess what? When you try to get really stupid people to shoot anything at any distance, really bad things happen. If you doubt this, go check out youtube for an hour or two.

At the end of the day, they still make Budweiser and that is all that really matters.

Travis

Spot on and numerous to boot.

NFW. Budweiser??

Come on, man!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by rost495

Its funny, I have not shot competitively for years now, going on 9 I think. I still take a wind speed meter with me while hunting. Just to verify. And I"m not talking long shots these days because I'm out of practice, unless it were to be wind still.
But its funny, I can sit somewhere with wind blowing and just sit and glass all the indicators, and pull out the wind gauge and its generally about what I thought it would be.

I in no way think wind meters are useless I just enjoy shooting without one. Plus I'm lazy and I always forget schit and by not using a wind meter I have one less thing to carry or lose.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[/quote]

I in no way think wind meters are useless I just enjoy shooting without one. Plus I'm lazy and I always forget schit and by not using a wind meter I have one less thing to carry or lose.

Travis [/quote]

Carry, lose or, in my case, forget! Wait'll ya hit 50!

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

At the end of the day, shooting long range makes you a better shooter. Period. The better you are, the better you are. Period.

Travis

This is true, but the corollary to that hypothesis is to get a 222 magnum and you don't have to practice. Just show up with 4 or 5 of them and watch the people gather round for tutorial instruction while numbed in awe...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I carry a wind gauge as a training tool but by the time I am in the field hunting it is no longer an aspect of training, I am expected to perform on demand. If I have not learned the difference between a 10 or 15mph wind on the range it will be a bit rough trying to apply it in the field.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"I wouldn't say that often those that have negative feelings have experience, in fact I've never met one that does."

"Yes, there are a few stupid posts and there will always be, but hi-jacking just about every post and spoiling a good discussion is childish and probably because of a self esteem problem."

"I"ve yet to meet someone that was anti long range, that had any experience with it to the level I do."

"98% of the general populace doesn't have a clue as to the capabilities of a rifle in the hands of a great shooter!!"

"I don't mean to sound like a prick but the vast majority of shooters and hunters I meet are morons. And I mean, really fugging stupid. Both ethically, fiscally, physically, mentally, etc."

"The same thing around here regarding the majority of hunters and shooters being morons."

"It is great that we can practice what we love without stupid people interfering while we are doing it."

My Oh MY.

8mmwapiti

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Oh MY.

8mmwapiti

What is your point?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I don't mean to sound like a prick but the vast majority of shooters and hunters I meet are morons. And I mean, really fugging stupid. Both ethically, fiscally, physically, mentally, etc.

Travis

Yep, they're probably too fuggin' stupid to sort out head-stamps and roll-stamps........

TFF.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you hire a guide, the first thing he will do is set up a target to see how close he has to get you to the game.... or find out your gun doesn't work.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
What's odd is people that think a guy that can shoot steel at 1000 yds cannot hit anything closer.

I practiced to 1000 all summer. Snuck up and shot my antelope at 100 due to 20 mph wind.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.