That's way cheaper.
You guys buying it in bulk?..

Have Dog

Will Travel

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
$12 for 2.5 gallons at Wal Mart. I have bought maybe 15 boxes (probably less)., so $180 or so. My DEF MPG is right at 1% of fuel used.

(50,000 miles/15 MPG)*0.01=33.33 gallons of DEF, or a bit more than 13 boxes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by K1500
$12 for 2.5 gallons at Wal Mart. I have bought maybe 15 boxes (probably less)., so $180 or so. My DEF MPG is right at 1% of fuel used.

(50,000 miles/15 MPG)*0.01=33.33 gallons of DEF, or a bit more than 13 boxes.

It does have a shelf life. Hope you're using it fast enough.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by badger
If you both believe that traction control is "defeated" with the push of a button you're either retarded, or clueless. It's effect is lessened with the push of a button, but it doesn't go away.

It is defeat able, at least on my truck, but in 4WD only. Have to hold the button down for 5 seconds and then it will show "ESC Disabled" on the dash. We were climbing up steep snow covered washes yesterday and it works as advertised. 4WD HIGH with ESC disabled allowed sufficient speed to get through the snow drifts.

I can only go off my own personal experience. My own personal 2012 Power Wagon, and numerous GM vehicles I've driven (tahoes and 2500s) it absolutely does not turn off. The message comes on saying it has been, but it's bullschit.

I hear you, but holding the button in mine until the message displays ( not just the idiot light) seemed to do it, judging by the rooster tails and crap flying everywhere behind me. Had to nail WOT a few times to get enough speed up to get through the drifts. My inter cooler and Trans cooler were pretty packed with snow afterward so I'm guessing the drifts were 2 feet plus deep.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by wageslave

That's way cheaper.
You guys buying it in bulk?..

Tractor Supply here has it for 8.99

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't buy 15 boxes at once. When the truck tells me I need it, I buy it and add it to the truck.

Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
Wait till your warranty is up and you have to start repairing that DEF system. Hope you have deep pockets. The DEF system is the worst most problematic system on any vehicle today.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I hear you, but holding the button in mine until the message displays ( not just the idiot light) seemed to do it, judging by the rooster tails and crap flying everywhere behind me. Had to nail WOT a few times to get enough speed up to get through the drifts. My inter cooler and Trans cooler were pretty packed with snow afterward so I'm guessing the drifts were 2 feet plus deep.

Ok, so I figured what the hell I'll try it again. Still haven't figured out why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but if I hold in the button I do get the message. Sometimes. Haven't tried it yet to see how much it's mitigated, but if it well and truly turns it off my hat is off to you sir!

THat is specifically on my '12 PW. On the Chevy's I have absolutely held the button, in all ways, means, opportunities. Never ever had the traction control NOT kick in at some point.

Another thing on my PW, I love the fact that you can turn the headlights off. Like OFF. And when you start the truck you don't have to turn them off again.

MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Look for a 03-04 Chevy 3/4 ton with the 8.1

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by zfastmalibu
Wait till your warranty is up and you have to start repairing that DEF system. Hope you have deep pockets. The DEF system is the worst most problematic system on any vehicle today.

Yes that would suck.

What exactly happened to yours?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Ok, so I figured what the hell I'll try it again. Still haven't figured out why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but if I hold in the button I do get the message. Sometimes. Haven't tried it yet to see how much it's mitigated, but if it well and truly turns it off my hat is off to you sir!

THat is specifically on my '12 PW. On the Chevy's I have absolutely held the button, in all ways, means, opportunities. Never ever had the traction control NOT kick in at some point.

Another thing on my PW, I love the fact that you can turn the headlights off. Like OFF. And when you start the truck you don't have to turn them off again.

Only works on mine in 4WD.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
All the new electronic chit is especially bullchit, that and of course the EPA mandated horsechit.

I don't have the money or need for a new pickup in the first place but EVERYONE I have talked to hates the traction control.

I guess it resets itself to 'on' every time the pickup is started?

You forget to disable and get stuck kind of deal.

Oh, and whatever you do don't dump the urea in your fuel tank and cycle it through the engine(when it's cold outside, it'll freeze and crack all your chit...).

Couple horror stories at the Ford garage about that little mix up. Parts manager told me enough people have done it that Ford now makes a repair kit.

About a $10k repair with labor.

Just got my wife's Explorer back from the shop. Fancy touch screen went dead after an update. Still drivable but damn they have over 'engineered' these new vehicles. I don't want a god damn smart phone style control to run the frikken heater for Christ's sake!
(rant over......grin)

I plan on driving my '03 6.0 F350 until it literally dies.

4 new injectors in the clunker this Fall and it once again has balls.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It's all bullchit dude.

I plan on running my 06 Chev 1/2 ton Z71 till it falls to pieces. No traction control, or other bs. Been a good truck too.

I think I figured out how to turn that schit off on the PW, but you have to be in 4wd as Badger said, and you have to be either stopped, or just barrrreeeeellllly rolling. And yeah, turn the truck of and you have to remember to do it all over again. At least the 4wd is a lever, not a damn button. grin

MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Lever on floor and manual hubs rule.....

Unless you forget to turn the hubs out and roll 75mph and blow the front pinion seal out. Takes multiple attempts but it happens....grin

Oil all over, easy to spot.

Last edited by SamOlson; 11/28/14.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If I press and hold the TC button on my '11 duramax, it takes both TC and Stabilitrac off. After reading this thread I took it off on a wet road and got seriously sideways with both back tires spinning like mad. I did not detect any computer intervention. Could you guys be experiencing the torque management kicking in? This is different than TC. Torque management is what prevents you from stressing or damaging your transmission from too much torque.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
BGG, your Power Wagon has a limited slip in the rear axle that works when the axle is not locked up. Perhaps that's why it's confusing ?
What I notice on on my 2014 Jeep Wrangler is that with the TC on, the rear wheels don't spin much in soft sand. With it off, with the limited slip mine has, both of them can spin a good bit in soft sand. E

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not confused in the least E. I've driven a lot of different vehicles over the years in mud/snow/ice/sand. I can tell when and which wheel is spinning and when the breaks are being applied and match that to what I am telling the damn thing to do and let you know if the 'puter is being bothersome. Last year model of Chev I drove is probably an 09 or 10. No way no how did the electronic nanny shut off no matter what the dashboard tells you.

It seems as though, thanks to Badger, I did find the trick on the PW. Just wish at the very least you could shut it off in 2wd as well as 4wd. Skid control of any fashion on any pickup let alone a PW is phoucing retarded beyond my ability to put to words.

MAGA
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 11point, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 2,787 guests, and 1,372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,472
Posts18,451,746
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.