Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
j2dogs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Don't think me crazy please.
I have several boxes of some quite warm 180gr. Hydrashoks that were loaded for KSP, back in the 80's

I want to use some of them in my model 20 for short range deer hunting.
I had thought about filling the hollow point post area with some molten lead, and making a few soft points out of them.
1. It would probably bump them up to 200 grs.
2. They would not expand quite like the original hydrashok, theoretically increasing penetration.
3. Of course I would pull the bullet before pouring the hollow point full of molten lead.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by j2dogs; 11/27/14.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Crazy. Shoot them as is or buy something that works off the shelf.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leave 'em be and don't monkey with them.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'd bet money that they'll kill deer just fine like they are. Even if you shoot shoulders, a deer scapula is pretty darn thin. If you monkey with them who knows how they'll work, besides the fact that the lead you pour in the HP likely won't bond to the lead in the jacket and bend or smear when they feed up the ramp.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 10mm has a fully supported chamber area/ramped barrel.

Sell those cartridges to me or let me trade you for some with a load you like better.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Another dont mess with them vote. That would almost equate a near max charge with a 200 grain bullet, ment for a 180.

j2dogs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yea was kinda thinking the same thing as everyone on here, my aggravating nature to monkey with things that should be left alone.
Hey Mark, I am running everything through a 6 inch KKM barrel so I can run as hot as the 10 will take it and not worry about anything to much.
I was actually doing pretty good at 70 yds. off my knees with some of the same sort only in Gold Dots. About the size of a coffee saucer with the occassional flyer that would open the group as a whole up to a paper plate. Thanks guys for talking me off my crazy tinker thoughts. lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by j2dogs
Yea was kinda thinking the same thing as everyone on here, my aggravating nature to monkey with things that should be left alone.
Hey Mark, I am running everything through a 6 inch KKM barrel so I can run as hot as the 10 will take it and not worry about anything to much.
I was actually doing pretty good at 70 yds. off my knees with some of the same sort only in Gold Dots. About the size of a coffee saucer with the occassional flyer that would open the group as a whole up to a paper plate. Thanks guys for talking me off my crazy tinker thoughts. lol

I have a bunch of Gold Dots and old Remington Golden Sabre 180's that I plan to load up today for my RIA Tac10. But, if Hydra Shocks was all I had, I would sure carry them and hunt with them and not feel that I had made a significant drop off in performance at all. In fact, I also have quite a few Hydra Shocks loaded up from when components were hard to find a couple years ago and my confidence level while packing them was not affected. My non scientific water jug testing indicated to me that they are a pretty wicked bullet, still. And thier ogive shape makes them feed really slick, too. My handloads push them at 1375FPS, which I am sure helps them open up good.
Quit worying about minutiae' (yeah, I know....that stuff is what makes our world go 'round as gun nuts.....) and go kill some stuff! grin

Last edited by safariman; 11/28/14.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got a KKM barrel for my G20 in 40sw.
The case support is the best.
200 gr Nosler JHP, Wolff 24# recoil spring pair, 1.290" OAL, 11.5 gr Power Pistol is about as much recoil as I can take.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

94 members (AnthonyB, 35, 7x57Hunter, AGL4now, 160user, 41rem, 12 invisible), 968 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,502
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.