Print Thread
Hop To
R
RogerD Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I found this rifle on Gunbroker and was the only bidder. Some might not like it because it is not collectable. I picked it up today after the transfer and was surprised how good these rifles look. The custom walnut stock is very nice but everything else is stock except for the refinish and embellishments.
These rifles are built like tanks but they feel great in my hands. To bad Remington quit making these CRF rifles as I think I might like them better then model 70's. Ok I know it's new to me and I'm excited,but they do look very nice and are well made,atleast in my opinion. My first 30'06. Somebody's got to give some love to these rifles.

I kinda feel sorry for the older gentleman that sold it. He had it for 35 years and it looks like he never fired it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RogerD; 11/24/14.
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Dang nice catch. I usually keep a pretty good eye on GB for M30s but missed that one. I'm more of an original unmessed with guy anyway. Enjoy.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Looks like a real nice job...you did good!!

PennDog

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations! That is certainly one of the best looking (if not the best) 30s customs that I have seen. Let us know how it shoots.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You got a great gun. My very first custom rifle is a Rem 30S in 300 Win Mag with a Douglas premium mid-weight barrel, and I have shot everything from silhouettes to moose with it. It's a bit heavy for me now, not as strong as I use to be, but it will always be one of my favorites.

Hope you have as much fun and success with yours as I did mine.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
IC B2

R
RogerD Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by mudhen
Congratulations! That is certainly one of the best looking (if not the best) 30s customs that I have seen. Let us know how it shoots.

Originally Posted by Allen917
You got a great gun. My very first custom rifle is a Rem 30S in 300 Win Mag with a Douglas premium mid-weight barrel, and I have shot everything from silhouettes to moose with it. It's a bit heavy for me now, not as strong as I use to be, but it will always be one of my favorites.

Hope you have as much fun and success with yours as I did mine.

You just don't see many and the 30S was made for 10 years I believe through 1930 to 1940. Even though it is CRF not much is written up on these and it's probably because it's a Enfield. I look at the metal work and it's hard not to be impressed. I have 2 now and will probably look for one that hasn't been altered. This particular rifle,whoever did the stock work did a bang up job...really nice,and beautifully contoured.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Major congrat's to you! Very nice CRF rifle there.

Since it is not an original, un messed with rifle, any chance it will become a 300WBY? That is what I would do with it if it were mine. The action and magazine are PLENTY lone enough and strong enough.

My most used and deadliest rifle is very similar to yours, but in a wildcat cartridge that is the 8mm RemMag necked up to .338.

I figure, if a guy is going to pack around a 10lb rifle, it may as well be one that will reach out and put the "big hit" on something near or far.

Re chambered or not, that is one fine hunting piece. I hope that you and it make much meat with it.

Last edited by safariman; 11/26/14. Reason: sp

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Have an original in 30-06 and a custom. I really like them and yours looks like a nice semi custom.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
That right there is a lovely rifle; I love those 1917s.

You got some nice wood there sir wink !

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
That is a pretty nice 30. I'm surprised, with the work which went into it, the bolt handle wasn't replaced; not that there is anything wrong with the original but the appearance could be better.
I have a barreled action with a Shilen 35 Whelen barrel. I've been planning to stock it for the last five years or so. Maybe, now that I am a retired man of liesure, I can get around to it. GD

IC B3

R
RogerD Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by greydog
That is a pretty nice 30. I'm surprised, with the work which went into it, the bolt handle wasn't replaced; not that there is anything wrong with the original but the appearance could be better.
I have a barreled action with a Shilen 35 Whelen barrel. I've been planning to stock it for the last five years or so. Maybe, now that I am a retired man of liesure, I can get around to it. GD

I like the bolt. I have looked for replacement stocks for these model 30's,but haven't come across any. When I saw this one it was a no brainer for me because I know that it can be an expensive proposition to find a good pattern and then have all the stockwork completed.

You have one, get it done,these are nice rifles.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I am also toying with the idea of re-chambering this whelen to 358 Norma. The barreled action is on the heavy side and I have dies, reamer, etc.. Also, I already have a Whelen which I built about thirty years ago. So we'll see what happens.
I will be very satisfied if my stock can end up as nice as the one on your rifle. I can promise my checkering will not feature any fleur de lis! Not because I wouldn't like to have them but because a fleur de lis carved by me is just as likely to end up looking like a roadkilled carp. A guy has to be able to accept his limitations. GD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by greydog
I am also toying with the idea of re-chambering this whelen to 358 Norma. The barreled action is on the heavy side and I have dies, reamer, etc.. Also, I already have a Whelen which I built about thirty years ago. So we'll see what happens.
I will be very satisfied if my stock can end up as nice as the one on your rifle. I can promise my checkering will not feature any fleur de lis! Not because I wouldn't like to have them but because a fleur de lis carved by me is just as likely to end up looking like a roadkilled carp. A guy has to be able to accept his limitations. GD

I was going to suggest your rifle become a 358 Norma or even a 358STA. Your dies would work just fine for loading the STA version, too. That action is plenty long enough and stout enough. My 1917, which is the same action, is essentially the 358STA but in 338 caliber. A very effective caliber to say the least.

Good luck with the finishing of this great rifle! I hope we all get to see it when done and hear about its performance and kills etc.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M-30s look good with fleur-de-lis checkering. It just seems right with the dog leg bolt handle. more curves

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Let me put in my 2 cents worth in congratulating you on your new toy. My personal "goto" is an Enfield M1917, that I built in highschool shop class. Yes, that's a while ago.
I've carried the rifle for Mule Deer here in Nevada, since it was built, and for Moose and Grizzly when I lived in Alaska.
It's a bit heavy, so I had rebarrelled it to .300 WinMag (long-throat) early on. I keep thinking of going on to either .358 Norma Mag, of .35 Ackley Mag both of which have already been mentioned. Mine, also has been changed to almost everything like the 30s. The stock is a high-comb Fajen , the trigger is a Dayton-Traiseter to match the cock-on-opening bolt. The bolt handle recently has been changed to a more-conventional round-shank with a rear bend.
Of course, the receiver-ring has been turned down like the 30s so I can mount the steel-tubed Weaver V5 with Weaver QD mounts
I've been toild it's heavy, all right, so that's prolly why I use it mostly for stand shooting. It DOES have a bit of "stretch" in it tho', so I don't mind shooting to the next hilltop. (When I've got a younger hunter with me that doesn't mind going on over to start dressing it 'til I get there, lol.
Have fun,
Gene

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

695 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 73 invisible), 2,840 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,160
Posts18,465,139
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.