Print Thread
Hop To
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I'm getting a little confused here - dunno if it is caribou or moose or a mix of both for jerky meat- but it's the last available.

The first rack is gone already, between the wife taking some to work and a certain amount of gluttony snacking at home...

I'm thinking I didn't cut enough jerky meat from 3 small caribou and a moose...

Weather looks good, if cool tomorrow... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jerky is one of the least effective ways to store moose or caribou meat at our house. frown Granted, it doesn't take up much any room.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A file holder makes a great air dryer, after it comes out of the meat slicer.

[Linked Image]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
looks great good idea on file folder

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Been doing deer jerky this weekend. A little unconventional about it, we grind it once, add seasoning, grind it again, lay it out on a cookie drying rack and put it in the oven on convect (around 200 *F) for about 6 hours. I love it. Eating conventional jerky is too much like work...grin.

Once it comes out of the oven,I cut it in strips with a pizza cutter.....

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Brother_Bill; 11/23/14.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Brother_Bill
Eating conventional jerky is too much like work...grin.

Slacker!!! grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
UMMMMMMMM!!!!!! I can smell it from hear!!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No way, dude.

All that jerky shooter/ grinding/ pulverizing/ pasting/ pureeing doesn't make anything remotely resembling jerky. I'm sure it's still a food/snack product- but jerky.... Not so much.

I'm going to turn my next three deer into sausage, jerky and cube steak. In that order.

Not doing any waterfowl or upland while the bitch is on maternity leave has freed up schedule to allow for more deer hunting. I am finding the wildass pork to be more elusive than it was back in '06- but should a couple of them make an appearance the sausage deer will get be reassigned to the jerky and roast department.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The other route on jerky, we do pieces a bit larger, and then don't dry them... basically mini hams.

Take and slice it all wiht a knife to eat it. Nice and soft.

Never did care for the real hard stuff, unless it was thin.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
With the "mini hams" are you using a cure like tenderquixk?

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I use cure, and then just season like salt, pepper, season salt, red pepper if you like etc...

Our cure is from a sausage supply or meat market, pink and looks like salt more or less.

I don't use sugar cure.

I do season both sides, and then put in a bowl, sealed and then in fridge for 3 days, sometimes even vac seal first.. to let soak in.

By mini more or less an 3/4 to an inch or more thick, and maybe 2-3 inches wide, X long IE 6-10 or so..

Smoke once or twice for a few hours. Leave to dry in smokehouse until solid dry outer, but can still feel the "movement" inside that indicates its still soft.

When in doubt pull a piece and cut in half... to see

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I do'er pretty much the same way Brother Bill does, except, I smoke mine. I have experimented with several seasonings, and have settled on LEMS jalape�o and herb. It's a bit bland, so for every 20 lb. batch, I add a bit of Santa Maria seasoning, and 2 t of cayenne. I also put up a couple bear every year, the same way. Makes for durn good snackin'! Of course I do put up a lot of the venison and bear in bulk sausage, so I can whoop up a big delicious burger from time to time!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I do'er pretty much the same way Brother Bill does, except, I smoke mine. I have experimented with several seasonings, and have settled on LEMS jalape�o and herb. It's a bit bland, so for every 20 lb. batch, I add a bit of Santa Maria seasoning, and 2 t of cayenne. I also put up a couple bear every year, the same way. Makes for durn good snackin'! Of course I do put up a lot of the venison and bear in bulk sausage, so I can whoop up a big delicious burger from time to time!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"m getting down to not so many teeth left... may have to run the hamburger patties pretty soon too....

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by las
I'm getting a little confused here - dunno if it is caribou or moose or a mix of both for jerky meat- but it's the last available.

The first rack is gone already, between the wife taking some to work and a certain amount of gluttony snacking at home...

I'm thinking I didn't cut enough jerky meat from 3 small caribou and a moose...

Weather looks good, if cool tomorrow... smile

We used to have a bunch (moose mostly) made into pepperoni sticks about finger diameter. I though I was going to have to padlock the fridge!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Our cure is from a sausage supply or meat market, pink and looks like salt more or less.

It's called "Pro-cure". NO! I'm joking - that's the salmon egg stuff. Best not confuse the two.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pautzkis makes a hell of a good jerky....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 64 invisible), 3,232 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,533
Posts18,452,957
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.