Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Montana in .223.
Full disclosure, I've had issues with this gun. I'm not getting into a pissing match, discussing Kimber quality or customer service and do not need advice on steps to take to overcome these issues. I would buy another Montana tomorrow and would consider trades for one in 7-08 or similar.
If you are interested, call me and we can discuss everything I've done and what the issues have been.

I'll take $1000.00 shipped and throw in talley LW's.
-Bryan
540-810-5842

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Sorry to hear this. I have been looking for a 223 in a Montana for years but am not certain I need the drama at this juncture. Good luck with this issue.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Sorry to hear this. I have been looking for a 223 in a Montana for years but am not certain I need the drama at this juncture. Good luck with this issue.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Dude 270, didnt sell anything out from under you. Laid my phone on my bumper when I was leaving the job I told you about in swope and lost it on the interstate. Didnt get another for two days thanks to the nice people at verizon. I marked it sold on guntrader thinking you would call again. Never wrote your number down and only had a first name so had no way to get ahold of you. Sorry for the trouble. Still yours if you want it though.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Bryan

If that is the case then I am very sincerely sorry.
I called you twice after but not after the two days.
I will still take the stock for the agreed upon price, consider it sold.
I will call you sunday and we can figure out a time to meet next week.

Again, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
No problem. I should have written your number down or got a last name. I'll be around sunday. Sorry to the other folks that texted or called about it also.
To be honest, I figured the calls from out of state were probably scams... I had a sporting clays gun listed on shotgunworld at the same time and I kept getting these weird texts with people offering trades for assault rifles and when they referenced my gun it would be the wrong brand or gauge, and it seemed odd to be getting texts from out of state about a gun on a local classifieds

Ive sold 3 rifles on here, all guns I used, never bought to flip for a profit. To be honest, Ive lost money on every one, including this Kimber that I paid $1300.00 for from a member here who failed to disclose the issues.....

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Is this rifle still for sale?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by K22
Is this rifle still for sale?

Call him and see.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PM sent

Brian

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Just wanted to mention that I made a deal locally with this member for a mcmillan and after a bit of confusion due to him losing his phone the deal went perfectly smooth.

He was honest about the stocks condition and asked a fair price.

We talked about his Montana too and he was very straightforward about how it shot and the work he had done too it.

Bryan is good to go and a straight shooter. I would deal with confidence. Give him a call and I am sure he will give you straight info on this rifle

IC B3

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Food info to know Dude270. That helps.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Weird stuff here!

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by taz4570
Weird stuff here!

Yeah, two people worked out a mis-understanding like adults. That's about as strange as it gets...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by smalljawbasser
Originally Posted by taz4570
Weird stuff here!

Yeah, two people worked out a mis-understanding like adults. That's about as strange as it gets...

Really.

I bought a ML from Jackmountain earlier this year and it couldn't have went smoother. I'd deal with him anytime.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm going to copy a PM I sent someone who asked, I said I wasn't going to get into this because Kimber Montana's tend to get people all riled up. I love the platform, and will probably buy another. I'll just go ahead and admit I'm a clueless Phuq who let a Montana kick her ass, so someone else doesn't have to say it.

Here's what I wrote to someone inquiring about it

Started with poor accuracy. 1 1/2- 2" with most any bullet I tried except for light bullets like 40gr. vmax.
I've tried factory fusion 62 gr., factory Remington PSP 55 gr., factory federal military, handloads with 64 gr. Winchester PP, 62 and 55 gr. Barnes tsx, 55 gr. vmax, sierra game king 65 gr., with IMR 4895, H335, Varget and IMR 4064, with 4 different primers and a multitude of seating depths.

The 40gr. vmax shot .84" groups, but I bought it to shoot heavy for caliber bullets like everybody else.....

I experienced some light primer strikes but mostly with mil spec federal 5.56 ammo, though some with handloads. After cleaning the bolt thoroughly and oiling plus checking the firing pin protrusion (which was in spec) and making sure the screw that holds the firing pin in place was tight, I've only experienced it a few times, all with the federal mil spec ammo.

Last issue was the failure to feed, basically the bolt sliding over the cartridge due to the shell being "nose up". I pinched the mag well ala big stick's start from the start thread and it seems to feed ok now as long as the shell is pushed down and tight to the rear of the mag box. basically make sure they are laying in the magwell flat and not nose up or down when you load it.

I sent the gun back to Kimber with the full explanation above and they polished the feed ramp and sent it back. The feed ramp had absolutely nothing to do with the feeding issue obviously so I have no clue what idiot thought that was a good idea.
They told me that accuracy of under 2 1/2" in a hunting gun this light in weight is perfectly acceptable and that they are the manufacturers of the finest firearms in the world. The customer service dept. there is clueless.

At this point I've bedded it, including the barrel lug and the first 1 1/2 inch of the barrel, shortened the magbox, which was definetly binding, and checked the front action screw and front sight base screw, neither appear to be bottoming out on the barrel. My next step was to recrown, but didn't want to void kimbers warranty (at this point, that's almost funny)

I think the feeding and light primer strike issues are basically taken care of but I won't guarantee anything....

The barrel was coppering up really bad when I first started shooting it so I shot, cleaned, repeated 20 times and it seems to be doing much better. It's possible that it needs shot more and it will settle down and probably a recrown would be smart. If I keep it, it's getting rebarreled with a Lilja simply because I'm tired of [bleep] with the this gun.

I actually called a local guy today to get on his schedule just in case I keep it.

To be honest, it's probably best for someone who is happy with 1 1/2" .223's or someone that's looking for a donor to rebarrel.

I apologize for the long windedness but I want to be clear to anyone looking so there are no misconceptions. I wish the guy that sold it to me on here would have done the same.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PM sent.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
PULLED FROM SALE, GETTING A NEW TUBE.
Thanks to those interested.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Greetings Jackmountain........You're a very patient guy an I hope things work out super for you. If that were my rifle I would of probably made lemonade out it. Good luck with new tube.
........ Redworm

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

149 members (450yukon, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 24 invisible), 2,599 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,645
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.