Print Thread
Hop To
M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I traded guns with a buddy who is equally afflicted with the loonyism disease. This one is one the way. I'll post some more pics in a couple weeks when I get home from the slope.

It's a Harold drilling 16x16x222 Rimmed. I'm loading some copper plated lead BB shot for it today.

[Linked Image]

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful drilling,great chambering, what was the original chambering 5.6x35R or 5.6x36R? Are you using Bertram brass? I have an Italian combo gun 12ga/222 Rem and am thinking of chambering it for the rimmed version as the rimless extractor is a pain sometimes.

I just love them. I'm setting up one for coyote hunting this year. What is the chamber length on the 16's? I've worked up a load of 27 "F" shot, 1 oz. NP 2's and NP BB's in 2.5" hulls as mine has 65mm chambers.

My coyote drilling 16x16x6.5x58R Sauer with Leupold 1x4x20mm, I also have the original Hensoldt scope for the claw mounts but it is way too high to be of use for me in the field.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by erich; 11/27/14.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm not sure if it's the 35 or 36. It comes with 100 rounds of new unfired Bertram brass. It has 2 3/4" chambers according to my buddy. He has never fired it. He picked it up ten years ago and stuck it in the safe.

I'll be down in Eastern Washington in a couple weeks to see my Mom. I plan on using it on some coyotes while I'm there. May get in a duck/goose hunt or two as well.

I've read that brass can be made from 357 Maximum. It comes out a touch short in the neck but will work. Probably have to take it down in a couple of steps like a 32-20 and 25-20 die and then a 222 die followed by a fire form.

I'm excited to give it a try on fur this winter.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Huntingtons and Buffalo Arm have 222R brass in stock, more expensive than Maximum but no forming dies will be needed and it is the correct length. It's not like you will need large numbers.

I do load 3/4oz ITX loads for waterfowl an nontoxic upland in my 16's, I wouldn't run steel through them.

Be careful with the 222R a these old guns weren't designed for the pressure generated by the upper end modern 222 Rem data.

Last edited by erich; 11/27/14.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I'll have plenty of brass when it gets here. He threw in 100 rounds of new brass. That should last me a lifetime. I had figured to go with some pretty moderate loads for the very reason you mentioned.

I've used ITX in my old Ithaca Lewis 10 gauge. I'll load some up for this one also.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WAY cool toy there!

Th ducks are starting to show up at my pond again so hopefully I will get to host you on this trip.

Rather than Coyotes, I have a pretty terrific Mountain Lion Property we can hunt. Either way I hope we can draw some blood togther.

If you want to pre ship some guns down and not have to fly with them, my C&R FFL might be of some use. Your double guns for sure qualify.

Glad you get to make the trip down this year!

MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks for the offer but I equate cougar hunting to fishing for kings in Alaska. Spend an awful lot of on the water for maybe one fish. If I fish for silvers or reds I get lots of action. Same thing with cougar versus coyotes. I only have a short time frame to hunt so I am going for the most action for the time invested. I already have one cougar hide on my mantel and had the fun of releasing a few of them from bobcat and coyote traps.

The primary reason for this trip is to visit Mom, but I have a few all day coyote calling excursions planned with an old calling buddy to test the 6x222 and play with the drilling.

I'll fly with my guns before I ship my guns to any C&R holder, especially in light of the recent passage of I-594. Alaska Airlines lets us fly with up to two bags per person free, so it won't cost anything to get my guns there.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (14idaho, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 13 invisible), 1,607 guests, and 810 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,517
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.