Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#9373234 11/28/14
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Never thought I'd say this but 50 plus years is a long time, gonna get me an M1. I shot one last week and decided anything affordable that'll make you 19 years old for a few minutes is worth having.

I'm looking for a reliable shooter that I can shoot steel plates with out to 300 yards that doesn't look too bad. Looking at the CMP descriptions of their "field" and "service" grade M1s it looks like there could be some overlap between them. I'm willing to pay a $100 more for the service grade if they're consistently that much better but the CMP is upfront about varying degrees of condition within grades. Has anyone here bought one of either grade and what did you think of it? Thanks.

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I bought one in 1986 and it was the best $168
I ever spent.
I used it to win the only rifle match I ever took first place in.
It was a 4 position match at 200 yds.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Get a service grade. It is well worth the money. Ask your question on the CMP forum. There is a ton of knowledge there. I own many service grades and higher. Some of the best money I've spent on rifles and no one is making any more.

http://forums.thecmp.org

Bruce

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good link, thanks.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
probably one of the better buys, for more money, is one of the cmp's garands they are in essence rebuilding. New wood, new barrel, everything working. They start with an original reciever, then build it out from there. Last time i checked, somewhat over 1000 bucks. Which isn't a bad deal, if you have priced just the recievers, barrels and so on.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Even National Match standards are 3" at 100 yards. Most likely even service grades will not have all the same parts of one Mfgr. Hope for a Winchester trigger group. I'd opt for the service grade.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I received a service grade from CMP 2 years ago. It appears almost new, 90%+ metal finish & new CMP walnut stock. I was actually hoping to get one with a bit more "character", showing some scars from WWII, but you take what you get within their description. Get one, you'll not regret it.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't post much, but I feel like I can say something here. I have two CMP M1's. One is a service grade special (minty original metal, with a new production stock) and a service grade (original everything). If you want a looker, buy a service grade special. If you want one with a beat up original stock that'll shoot just as well, buy a service grade. I sort of wish I'd bought 3 service grades and forgotten about the service grade special.

No experience with field grades. I bought a lot of the Greek HXP surplus ammo, and no complaints there.

ETA: Looks like they no longer offer the service grade special. Go service grade, all the way.

Last edited by OldBrownDog; 11/28/14.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Almost all are mix and match as to parts, they were designed that way. And when they came in to repair depots no thought was given to a collector.
There have been various periods through the dcm later cmp as to where the rifles came back from. Some of the better ones were from denmark, with the VAR barrels on them. Once in a while a "white bag" garand surfaces, rebuilt in the early 50's and put in a white bag for storage.
I have held, no chance of ever buying, a garand that was completely unfired from the manufacturer. The guy that had it bought it many years ago with the help of a friend who at the time was head of the DCM. To say i was drooling was an understatement.
I have one rifle built for at the time a nationally ranked shooter at perry, built by a gunsmith near ft. bragg. I have the papers for it, would make you sick on what was paid for it, in 1950's dollars, not much.
I shoot it once in a while, and it will always be better than me.
You can find repak ammo from the 40's around once in a while, as in repak'd in the early 50's from the pacific. Problem with it is you don't want to shoot it, just from a collection standpoint.
Actually some of the finer garands are not winchesters, they are real late springfields, built just after the korean war.
recommend the garand collectors association, the GCA for those really interested.
Everybody has their own thing, I like the ones with a WWII vintage as to reciever and barrel. That stuff is getting real expensive today, and you would be surprised at what a properly cartouched piece of wood brings for one. Much less some of the other parts. They kept revising various parts at different stages of production, and just cause a rifle may have been reparted with say springfield parts, doesn't make it correct. Has to be the right revision for the serial number.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 11/28/14.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
this link shows the various ones.
The special i think is an exceptional value for a shooter.
just doesn't have quite the historical significance
http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

they are rapidly running out of these, thus the rebuilt guns.
the real bugger tho, there are a whole bunch in south koread some of which are brand new, put away in grease in 50gallon drums.
It came within days of being a done deal for reimportation, and blame the state department and Mrs. Clinton for shooting that one down.
If it would have happened i would have been knee deep in cosmoline these days.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 11/28/14.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
also don't recommend looking at the carbines, they have a tendency to breed in the gun safe.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
also don't recommend looking at the carbines, they have a tendency to breed in the gun safe.
\
grin I ended up with 3 Garands from CMP. Down to one as the other 2 went to friends.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good info, guys. Thanks.

Been thinkin I need of these for a toy. It would be great to play with alongside my buddy's Enfield MkV!

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Springfield Service Grade Special I bought a couple of years ago.....get one you'll never regret it..... grin
[Linked Image]

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At one time I had 6 of them. Now I'm down to 3. The CMP is raising their prices beginning in January so now is the time to buy. You can't just buy one, you have to qualify first and/or be in a qualified club. The requirements are on the CMP pages.

kwg

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I just got my first, a service grade Springfield, earlier this month. It was ordered back in May. I think I lucked out. My rifle has a matching January 1945 barrel and receiver. The bolt is of correct vintage. The only thing I've discovered that I need for a period correct rifle is a proper lock bar rear sight. I like that my rifle was made the same month Patton declared them the best battle implement ever made.

www.usriflecal30m1.com is a great website to investigate.

I waited far to many years to pull the trigger on a CMP Garand. Number two is on order as I type. I'm happy to have my second order in.

Last edited by pabucktail; 11/28/14.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Great looking M1. From what I'm seeing on the internet and recently at the gun club it looks considerably better than some of the DCM "Service Grade" rifles that have been shipped out recently. I've seen a couple DCM shipped that were mechanically sound but with aftermarket stocks that aren't walnut and the stocks look and feel oversized through the grip and hand guard. One that looked like Birch was almost pumpkin colored, another looked like it had been painted brown.

Granted DCM is upfront that it's the luck of the draw and you might get something like this. For $695 plus shipping and they're going up next month I don't know if I'm going to chance it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Got my H&R service grade last year. Love it. Thinking about another.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
probably one of the better buys, for more money, is one of the cmp's garands they are in essence rebuilding. New wood, new barrel, everything working. They start with an original reciever, then build it out from there. Last time i checked, somewhat over 1000 bucks. Which isn't a bad deal, if you have priced just the recievers, barrels and so on.

This is what they call the CMP Special, its the way to go in my book. $995.00 plus $24.95 for shipping, cant beat it, check �m out on youtube, they look brand new...........

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What do you guys do for the en block clip? Are the clips readily available?

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,807 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.