Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Bought one for Dad, originally. When photobucket stops shietting the bed, I will post pics.

He had one in the tank with him, in theatre. original M2 with chopped stock.

I bought the closest I could come up with. He looked at me and said, no worries, I will take care of the rest. All I could do was smile.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm smiling too, nice gift. If he needs brass give me a holler.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
you are talking about .30 M1 carbines?
[Linked Image]

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's a nice little collection Sam.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Nice story there Dirt.

So what bayonet did m-1s take. Was it the Garand models or their own version.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When I was in high school, my dad and I were deer hunting with Dad's friend and his son, my age. The kid was carrying an M1 carbine with a 16 shot mag. We were all together when we jumped a doe which I lung shot with a Win 32 Spec. Then the kid cut loose with his 30 cal. We counted the holes - he hit it with all 16 before she went down due to massive lung damage from my shot. Most of his hits were in the hind quarters but he didn't spare the shoulders. Dad elbowed me to be quiet and congratulated him on 'his' deer and made darn sure HIS tag went on it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do you recall if the deer had made any sounds in German? It kind of sounds like a case of misplaced retribution to me. wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
always wanted one a friend showed me his one day and kinda sparked looking for one.Long before we had a computer.About 6-7 months later in the local gun shop see a nice inland for 250 so i decided to buy it came with ammo and a bunch of mags.Showed it to my buddy it turned out it was his and thun shop owner solod to me for what he paid not making a dime.Kinda funny how somethings full circle

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
As a pilot in Vietnam, there was not a lot of room in the aircraft for an M-14 or M-16 - I 'discovered' the M2 carbine with a folding stock full auto selector - loved it and had a canvas case that held twelve 30-round mags. Obviously couldn't bring it back frown

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Do you recall if the deer had made any sounds in German? It kind of sounds like a case of misplaced retribution to me. wink

not much more gets me riled than a Nazi deer mad laugh

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I had one as a teen, loved it and wish I still had her. I've looked around lately, prices are stupid expensive.

LMBH
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two of them. An Inland from the CMP and a Postal Meter. When I was a kid in the 1960's A lot of the WWII and Korea vets deer hunted with carbines and killed plenty of deer with them.

Handy little rifles.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by viking
Nice story there Dirt.

the US .30 M1 Carbine takes the M4 model bayonet.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by viking
Nice story there Dirt.

actually the earlier carbines did NOT take a bayonet, a knife similar to a trench knife was issued. The earlier front barrel bands had no provision to mount a bayonet. It was later they started retrofitting type four barrel bands, and then the m4bayonet. WWII ones were leather handled. Korean war and later plastic or different materials.
The knife issued at the beginning had a leather scabbard soon to be replaced with the fiberglass type due to rotting.
They are not cheap today if you find one with an original leather scabbard.
And a true folder, i.e. with the original folding stock were only made by inland and winchester. They are quite pricy.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
the carbine is the only rifle that i am aware of that started life as a semiauto, and with the addition of the nine magic parts, became a select fire, the M2 version.

you often find M1 carbines with SOME of the magic parts. To have all of them is a major boo boo. The hump back sear is a m2part, but not uncommon to find in a m1, and also not illegal in and by itself.
you will often find them with the potbelly stocks, on the left side of the reciever area is a cutout in the stock for the go fast switch. Earlier stocks did not have that.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 11/29/14.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
As a pilot in Vietnam, there was not a lot of room in the aircraft for an M-14 or M-16 - I 'discovered' the M2 carbine with a folding stock full auto selector - loved it and had a canvas case that held twelve 30-round mags. Obviously couldn't bring it back frown

i have told this story before, a navy friend, now deceased, found one in a stream in vietnam, an m1, but in good working condition. Took it to an armorer, who converted it to a M2, and cut the stock to make a pistol out of it. Dave drilled a hole in the wood and tied a leather thong on it to carry around his neck. He called it his "whore house" gun. Very good in certain establishments.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

My uncle figured out a way to bring his back from Korea. As I heard it, he stashed it in the smoke stack of the ship he came back on......... wink

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
there are a number of "bringbacks" floating around. I have one with the ship's name stenciled on the canvas sling. Another late 44 was brought back from germany

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my late oldest brother had one that was the first rifle I hunted with in 1958. the first hunt he took me on, he shot a fork horn and unzipped him from stem to stern just as if he had used a knife to gut the thing.
it ran down the hill and lost most of its innards on the run. flopped down right behind the pick up and waited for us to get there then ran down a half mile into the bottom of the canyon.
after that my brother got a 308 straight pull.
I would trade half of my battery for that carbine today.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

We had a full bird colonel that had one. He was the CO of the cargo chopper bunch. He still liked to fly. He shot a couple o folks through the front window as I recall.

Quite a guy. Came up with the idea of dropping 55 gallon barrels of napalm ignited by WP grenades on close covered areas.

They mixed it too thick the first time and we had to light it off with A-4's running snakeeyes and 'nape.

I have my uncles old M-1 DCM carbine I got when he passeed. Way more accurate than most I have used.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 56 invisible), 2,909 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,549
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.