Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Oh man, why not the old Leupold you had on there? I'd think that would be the ticket. Give it a nice subdued retro look. I've used the newer Burris scopes, but didn't like the look of the new style target knobs on older rifles. They kind of look like they are more for the "tactical" crowd. The glass on the new Burris C4 is very nice though.. I have a cool 1981 Winchester sporting arms and ammunition catalog I want to send you. It goes nicely with that XTR fwt. I have your addy, so expect it to be there before X-mas.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's one of the reasons i put that 3x9 leupold on it. I might put that Burris in my 338 wsm or a 06 I have a hankering for a 30-06 one of the newer ones.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Im shooting a Sporter Varmint in 308 that is a tack driver, this is only the second one I have seen and owned, first was so accurate I let my airline capt buddy talk me out of it! I must have traded thru 15 of them back in the day before they caught on, they were a sleeper gun and I could pick them up fpr 4,450 and 500. NO more! traded thru 3 in ,223 rem before I got a hummer! very best
As a side note I run Leupold 10 and 12 X fixed on them and have no problem whitetail hunting with them! Some are the old thick to thin, some are fine duplex and some are fine X hair with 3 dots in them. v best winpoor

Last edited by winchesterpoor; 11/28/14.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I told you guys EricM would like that one wink laugh

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
Im shooting a Sporter Varmint in 308 that is a tack driver, this is only the second one I have seen and owned, first was so accurate I let my airline capt buddy talk me out of it! I must have traded thru 15 of them back in the day before they caught on, they were a sleeper gun and I could pick them up fpr 4,450 and 500. NO more! traded thru 3 in ,223 rem before I got a hummer! very best
As a side note I run Leupold 10 and 12 X fixed on them and have no problem whitetail hunting with them! Some are the old thick to thin, some are fine duplex and some are fine X hair with 3 dots in them. v best winpoor

I admire your dedication to Leupold rifle scopes. I've just had some bad luck with them. Kind of like you've had bad luck with the last few sets of DD rings... sick grin . Once you start having failures at the range, you get a sick feeling thinking about taking them out in the field. That's where the real testing starts...

BSA MAGA
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
BSA, I have had almost as good of luck with the Leupolds as I have with pre 64 Winchesters ( and post) being accurate and trouble free, I did get a screw job on an flea bay Leupold but a trip back to factory fixed problem. I do like the made in USA and so far I have had good CS. I have a fancy, high dollar Doctor scope with a problem and I know its going to be a goat frigging to get it over there and fixed!. My pet peeve is swaping scopes on guns so I must have 25-30 Leupolds, some have been mounted over 30 years. I do have just a few high dollar Euro scopes and the glass is mighty nice! but for a country boy that grew up on irons, scopes almost seem like cheating! very best WinPoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Some guys just have all the luck. grin

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
Two Winchester traders that I have never had any bad feedback from in my mod 70 trading are Perry county and Shumans, I did biz with Shumans many years ago, I understand it has changed hands but Mr Randy still trades a few.
I ran across this one that Perry County is offering, maybe it will give guys a baseline or idea of the market. very best Winchester folks.
http://www.pcfirearms.com/winchesters/model70/P-5375.pdf
Winpoor

That is a damn nice looking rifle!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Other than the recoil pad it is nice Winchester rifle in ass whooping caliber. He wants too much money for it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yep, that one has the Galazan pad on it. Winpoor should know better than that by now grin whistle. Although I think his intent was to show what some of these are going for. Or at least how much guys are asking for them now days. The guy that runs across one of these for $1,500.00 now is a lucky man..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I look at well cared for rifles in excellent mechanical order (little shot with no worn parts) and some cosmetic field wear. From buyers perspective honest field wear in right prices does wonders to asking prices.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yep, as do I. Every once in a while you'll find a cherry out there.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I know EricM would love to have this one. Beretzs has one and I really like mine. It will surely be one of the last ones I let go. Here's your chance to buy a damned nice original looking rifle right here. I don't know the seller, but this one looks pretty legitimate. I wonder what his reserve price is?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=454242980

I saw that one. 2200 is danged good for an Alaskan in that condition.. Mine is an excellent shooter as well. Very well balanced rifle and carries very well.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've been wondering where you have been. How did your hunt go. Did your son take a bull with his 7x57? Scotty, we need to keep an eye out for a good 338 for EricM...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Slavek
I look at well cared for rifles in excellent mechanical order (little shot with no worn parts) and some cosmetic field wear. From buyers perspective honest field wear in right prices does wonders to asking prices.

I almost pulled the trigger on this 338 but it turns out the stock was shortened 1/4" and it had a repro pad. He was asking a bit much all considered. I am still on the hunt and like you, would like a well cared for shooter with some field wear to get the price down. lol.

Cheers!
Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EricM

I almost pulled the trigger on this 338 but it turns out the stock was shortened 1/4" and it had a repro pad. He was asking a bit much all considered. I am still on the hunt and like you, would like a well cared for shooter with some field wear to get the price down. lol.

Cheers!
Eric

Hey now, that sounds an awful lot like mine. Don't be eyeballing that one. Though shalt not covet another man's rifle... grin laugh whistle

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
What is the deal with the rubber pad being so far out of alignment with the black spacer? Does that rubber shrink over the years or was Winchester quality control that bad back then?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It's a Winchester reproduction (Galazan) recoil pad. Just not the same as a real original recoil pad...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by EricM

Cheers!
Eric

Hey now, that sounds an awful lot like mine. Don't be eyeballing that one. Though shalt not covet another man's rifle... grin laugh whistle

That's right! Just remember me when you decide to flip it! lmao! grin laugh

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Flip what....What's gunner been telling you about me?? grin You don't want my rifle. I haven't killed anything with it yet. No mojo on it and it is glass bedded. That takes away from the value... whistle

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 15 invisible), 2,235 guests, and 734 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,665
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.