Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Kenneth Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm close to top shelf cooking breakfast for me and the boys, including omelets, however,

A few weeks back on a fishing trip we stopped for breakfast and I ordered an omelet, Wow, fluffy and lots of air in the egg...

How do I achieve this?

I normally beat/stir 3 eggs in a small bowl with a fork,,,

Talk to me...............

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Add 1 Tbsp water (my choice) or milk, per egg. Then, whip like crazy with a whisk - it'll likely entrain more air in the egg slurry than a fork can.

Another thing I do is to gently scrape the first film that forms on the bottom & edges of the pan, then let the mixture set as it cooks. It makes some wavy texture on the outside of the omelet, & make me think it's more fluffy.

Good luck!

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
what works for me, is to add just a little water, maybe a couple of teaspoons, and then use a whisk to beat the air into the eggs. Cook them in a proper pan, that is fairly hot, you want the cooking to take place right away.
I use a high heat spatula, to move the eggs around, stirring gently at first, then lifting them to allow liquid egg to fill the space.
I don't cook the omelet on both sides, just cook long enough to firm up, but not cook the top side. I add the 'filling' ingredients if using them. Cheese, bell pepper, onion, or whatever.
I fold one edge, then tilt the pan so that the omelet slides down, and then I flip it over.
Perfect, fluffy omelet every time.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Folic, 3 tablespoons for 3 eggs?

Seems like a lot of water, but I'll try it..

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sam, you don't flip the omelet in the pan and very briefly "cook" the 2nd side?

You're also using water, just not as much it seems...

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Folic, 3 tablespoons for 3 eggs?

Seems like a lot of water, but I'll try it..

It's probably less. I don't measure, I just wave the bowl 'neath a slow-running faucet. I started out years ago with The Frugal Gourmet's Omelet Method , then tweaked it from there.

He boils it all down at the 12:29 mark of the follow-up video.

I don't flip the omelet, either. Once the top starts to look like it's beginning to firm up, I place the cheese on first, then the toppings, both on the half of the omelet that's opposite of the handle. At serving, I put the spatula under that side of the omelet, and help it slide out onto the plate. Once half of it is on the plate, I rotate the handle over the plate, folding the "unloaded" half of the omelet over onto the toppings.

I'll also plate the omelet just a touch shy of "done", & let it rest on the plate to finish cooking.

And if you've never tried chipotle powder sprinkled onto an omelet� well, you might give it a try.

Damn - I'm getting hungry now!

FC

Last edited by Folically_Challenged; 11/29/14.

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Sam, you don't flip the omelet in the pan and very briefly "cook" the 2nd side?

You're also using water, just not as much it seems...

no, never flip the omelet. Just cook it on the one side. Teaspoons of water for me, not tablespoons.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The way I make a fluffy omelet is to separate the whites and beat them with a wisk til frothy. Then gently fold in beaten egg yolks with a couple of teaspoons of water and a pinch of salt.

Cook with real butter over med high heat.

Another way too add fluff is stir the eggs with fork when they first start to congeal ... but only once.

I fold my omelets but to each his own.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I worked in a big hotel kitchen during high school they'd cook it for a minute and then stick it in a Salamander.
They were the thickest omelets I've ever seen but the air'd leak out of em if they set too long under the heat lamp waiting to get picked up.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
the other bone of contention with making omelettes, is whether to fold them once, or fold twice, into thirds.
The grand French cooks of old, folded only once. More modern chefs will tell you to fold in thirds, and roll the omelette onto the plate, seam down.
If you are serious about omelettes, read Dione Lucas and Julie Child.

Sam......

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do both the tri-fold seam down and the classic folded in half omelet.

I learned about separating the whites from one of the cooking shows on PBS in 1980s. I don't remember who it was though. Stirring the omelet once is a technique I learned from watching Jacques P�pin. That man is an awesome omelet maker.

My best omelet, and one that everyone raves over, is a fluffy tri-fold Seafood Newburg Omelet. The Newburg is flambeed with brandy. Ooh la la

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
last year, at a family gathering, I did omelettes to order for about 30 people. Everything was prepped in advance, and I used three pans. They cranked out like clockwork, and each was fluffy. laugh

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R&D will commence in about 30 minutes, stay tuned.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ok, Cooked 3 omelets very similar to the way Jeff Smith shows,

Yes, fluffier and and an improvement, I also did the fold in half only once as it goes onto the plate,

Don't think I'll do that again, I don't like the way the egg is much softer(uncooked) in the middle once it's folded on the plate.. We like our eggs firm.

I normally cook the bacon in a 12" cast iron pan as I'm cooking omelets, the hot 12" cast pan is put on top the 10" omelet pan after the omelet is folded in the pan, there by creating a very quick oven in which the interior of the folded omelet has time to slightly cook...

try it once...

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Here is the master...

[video:youtube]watch?v=57afEWn-QDg[/video]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
last year, at a family gathering, I did omelettes to order for about 30 people. Everything was prepped in advance, and I used three pans. They cranked out like clockwork, and each was fluffy. laugh

This!!!!!

Sam. I setup an omelette station at every tailgate and do it exactly this way using a Camp Chef 3 burner stove.

Even had the head chef from the DC Fours Seasons at the most recent soiree and he raved on the eggman!! cool

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like my omelets less fluffy and more flat. (Please see disclaimer in signature lines.) I have found that water gives me a flatter omelet while 'arf and 'arf makes it fluffier.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Depends on the shape...if you just fold over once, cover the pan, they will fluff up quite a bit, but deflate once set on the plate.

OTOH, if you fold as described by Sam, and as described and shown in the Jaques Pepin vid, in the second example, they retain some height.

P.S. If done properly, this version is quite loose in the middle.

Last edited by sse; 11/30/14.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If they are a bit under-cooked, I get a bit loose in the middle.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

309 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 29 invisible), 2,568 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,740
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.