Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I am in the market for a used 30-30 as a start up gun for my niece. I have never owned a lever action, but I've been reading...
It will most likely be a family gun as her younger sisters and brother will probably (hopefully) get the bug as well.
With all the negativity surrounding newer Marlins, what gives? I really want a Win 94, but there are a lot more Marlins for sale around here. I'm not opposed to Marlin, just wondering when their reputation started taking a hit. What would be a good time frame for a reliable old Marlin?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just look for a "JM" stamp on the barrel, just in front of the receiver on the side of the receiver opposite of the ejection port. Also, the serial number can tell you Year-of-Manufacture. Take the first two numbers and deduct from 100, IE 98XXXX would mean a 2002 date of manufacture. I believe that there is a prefix, possibly REP, on the Remington-made units. Anything between about 2010 and 2013 should be very closely looked at.

Anything JM-stamped should be good to go.

I also understand the the latest out-of-the-factory Marlins have sorted a lot of things out.

The Remington Marlins have a bad reputation due to Remington moving the facility and losing a huge portion of the skilled workers, and to compound it, QC seemed to let anything that didn't fall apart just sitting there go out the door.

But, I hear that things are getting better.

There will probably be others chime in with better info, but that's what I have gathered.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks Vic. That info should definitely help in my search. Hopefully I'll get to do a little shopping later today.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have both 94 and 336, the nice thing about a good Marlin is the easy of scope mounting.
I think today a scope is just about a standard option.

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are reports that the new Marlins in stores now are better.
Check at Marlinowners.com for the latest scuttlebutt. A walk into Walmart and a walk out with a brand new 336 can be a lot less complicated than trying to buy a used 94 and then listening to all the crapola you'll get about pre and post 64's from all the connisewers and aficionados many of them here waiting to pummel you it will dive you crazy.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Look for jam stamp and no crossbow safety. Marlins are way easier to scope.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
I am in the market for a used 30-30 as a start up gun for my niece. I have never owned a lever action, but I've been reading...
It will most likely be a family gun as her younger sisters and brother will probably (hopefully) get the bug as well.
With all the negativity surrounding newer Marlins, what gives? I really want a Win 94, but there are a lot more Marlins for sale around here. I'm not opposed to Marlin, just wondering when their reputation started taking a hit. What would be a good time frame for a reliable old Marlin?

Winchester made close to two million Model 94 Angle Ejects. They're pretty damn good rifles and a quick search of Gunbroker will show you several. They are as easy as any rifle made to mount a scope on.

I prefer the AE pre safety models.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Also pay particular attention to the crown on the muzzle of the barrel. Most lever actions get cleaned from the muzzle and an over achiever sometimes destroys the accuracy of the rifle by screwing up he crown with the cleaning rod.

I had a buddy buy an old Browning BLR in 308 Win from a neighbor lady that wouldn't shoot worth schitt. After checking out the crown it was obvious why.

Dan

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

As mentioned..Marlins easer to scope...

along with ease of cleaning...pull lever & bolt

super easy........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Well I found a lgs today that not only had an old Winchester, but a "JM" stamped Marlin as well. The guns were about the same age, with the Marlin in a little better shape. The were priced within $30 bucks of each other. Decisions, decisions...

Marlin wins!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My personal sentiments and likes aside, I think you made the wise choice.

I have a very strong sentimental attachment to my M94, and I certainly think they look and carry better, but the engineering of the 336 gives it distinct advantages if one considers other things. Such as cleaning, scopes, etc., and I've noticed, on average, better accuracy from the Marlin product.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks Vic. When it came down to it, it was want vs. need. I wanted the Winchester because, well, it's a Winchester. But I really needed a utility gun for the kids. Kids win. Damn, that's odd... laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
had it not been for Hollyweird the marlin would be held in the same esteem as the Winchester. I am nutz about both and always have been. about 100 years ago our neighbor lady blew a diamond back rattler as thick as your arm to sushi with a marlin 1895 45-70. thee rifle was as big as she was but I can still see pieces of snake falling on our rabbit hutch. I was hooked on marlins.
shortly after that I acquired a 1876 Winchester in 40-65 which I still have. I was hooked on Winchesters. my cabinet holds about equal winnies and marlins. I even have a remlin because I couldn't stand to see the grand old gun go extinct.
another option for the neice is a henry or rossi . both are good guns with a little loving caressing.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't forget a Mossberg 464.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hey, look at it this way. You have a Marlin so now you can concentrate on finding a nice Winny. Win win!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Paladin travels with a short Marlin in the saddle scabbard.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by tmitch
Hey, look at it this way. You have a Marlin so now you can concentrate on finding a nice Winny. Win win!

Funny you say that. When I had both guns on the counter the owner of the shop said, "Hell just buy 'em both". I had to bite my lip hard. I seriously thought about it for a second. laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While I like the looks of the Winchester 94 better...the Marlin is stronger and easier to mount a scope on. It's part of a modern evolution in lever actions.

That being said, I have a Browning BLR. More modern technology as the evolution marches on.

I think you'll be happy with your Marlin 336...enjoy!

Dan

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I went to the range early this morning and got some bad news about me and my "new to me" Marlin. I need glasses!

I new it was coming as I barely passed when I renewed my license a couple years ago. I haven't shot iron sights in quite some time, but that was a rude awakening. I never knew a bullseye could be so blurry. crazy

On the bright side (pun?) the gun felt good and shot great!

Rick

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Peep sight will help. A side mount like a Lyman or Williams or a top mount from Skinner, XS or Brockman.

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What tmitch said. I've used the Williams FP, but give the others a look, too.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Another, maybe better, option is a "combination" sight/scope base. Williams and XS make them. The XS is longer to accommodate scout type scope mounting also. The Williams is pictured below.

[Linked Image]

Charter Member

szihn

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I haven't had a chance to mess with the sight yet, or glasses for that matter. Anyway, this could probably go in a new thread but what are ya'll shooting in the 30-30s? I will eventually hand load for this gun, but for now factory ammo will be just fine. We will be hunting deer, hogs and an occasional coyote. I picked up a box of the Hornady Custom Lite reduced recoil (150 gn RN) for my niece to practice with. I also found a box of Federal 170 gn soft point RN. Any more suggestions? Merry Christmas!

Thanks,

Rick

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My particular rifle has shown a preference for the 170 grain bullets, and the Hornady FP in particular.

A load I have put together that is exceedingly accurate is:
Remington brass
Hornady 170 FP
IMR-3031, 29.5 grains,
CCI 200 Primer.

I think if your rifle shows a preference for 150s, then you won't lose any effectiveness. I've used them, they kill just fine, but don't shoot as good as the 170s in my rifle.

One bullet I haven't used and cannot seem to develop any sense of need for is the gummy tip. A friend has used them, and they seem rather frangible. In my case, I have rifles that are quite capable of reaching out with ease, no need to try to make the .30-30 do it, but if it were my only rifle, then I could see giving it a try.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 38 invisible), 1,920 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,440
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.