Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Originally Posted by JGray
She and her two daughters generally prefer not to eat it so I've been trying to understand just what it is they don't care for.

The problem is between their ears. Just say it's lamb or veal and they'll love it!!!

Definitely some of that going on as well... wink

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
After killing a goat this year, I've been able to eat every game species here in MT.

Pronghorn is far and away my favorite, and is always the first to go. The most tender game meat I've had by a long stretch.

Whitetail is also always great, even all the rutted up bucks I've shot have been delicious. It's what we eat the most of by far so it's kind of my bar for comparing other meats to. I will say the riverbottom bucks of SW MT that live in cottonwoods and eat alfalfa are a bit better than the big timber bucks we kill in NW MT, but not as much as you'd expect.

Black bear would probably be my third favorite close to whitetail. Nothing better than big crock potted bear roast. The higher fat content and large grain makes it perfect for low and slow cooking. The fat also helps it make great burger and sausages.

I've never been a huge fan of elk, for some reason it always ends up being tougher than other game meats for me. No off flavor or smell, but just tough. I haven't had cow elk in a long time, maybe it's a lot better.

Mule deer is what it is, the bucks we've killed have all had a bit of aroma, but once cooked it's good enough.

The mountain goat tenderloins over the campfire the night of the kill was some of the best protein I've ever had. Everything else has been... An adventure. Lots of slow cooked chili, no grilled steaks. Very mild flavor, but it's easily the toughest game meat I've had.

The only bighorn I've ate was an ancient old ewe and she was tough also, but nowhere near as bad as the goat. Similar color and flavor to mule deer.

The mountain lion was an awesome change of pace, great lean white meat that can be used in place of pork chops in any recipe. I'd kill another in a second for the meat alone.

Last edited by rl11; 12/03/14.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bear can vary considerably, due to the time of year and diet. When it's good, it's really good, but when it's bad....

Amen to that. I won a bet once with a gourmet chef in Los Angeles when I told him I had shot a bear in the Sierra that was basically inedible. He bet me he could make the best chili ever if I gave him some of the meat. I did, and several acquaintances gathered for the tasting. The looks of disgust were priceless, and I won the bet. I did, however, salvage the meat. It made some of the best teriyaki jerky I've ever had. Go figure.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
that ive had nilgai is at the top of the list, then speed goat, bison, elk,.....deer can fall anywhere on the line depending on the individual....walleye and pheasant can fall anywhere on the line depending on if im hungry for it or not....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
As do I - it's the women folk that just don't get it! I still enjoy a good Fillet, T-bone or New York strip at home, but am usually disappointed with beef at most restaurants. When I grill steaks for the family anymore, I do beef for them and usually have venison myself.

JGray, I have a done a few taste tests and compared our home grown beef to store bought. The home grown always has more flavor and a little different flavor as well. Love grilled burgers(1") with a touch of red/pink in the center.

Even better is a antelope backstrap steak with a blood red center!

Beyond good.

My buddy gave some moose steaks and those are great as well.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
As do I - it's the women folk that just don't get it! I still enjoy a good Fillet, T-bone or New York strip at home, but am usually disappointed with beef at most restaurants. When I grill steaks for the family anymore, I do beef for them and usually have venison myself.

JGray, I have a done a few taste tests and compared our home grown beef to store bought. The home grown always has more flavor and a little different flavor as well. Love grilled burgers(1") with a touch of red/pink in the center.

Even better is a antelope backstrap steak with a blood red center!

Beyond good.

My buddy gave some moose steaks and those are great as well.

but our local beef here is different than what most people are buying in the store....hell i rarely eat steak in a resturant anymore cause the stuff i buy from Hoch's just tastes better....but then your beef and what i buy out of Hoch's is eating the same stuff as the elk around here grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
My wife loves game meat as much as I do and I'm grateful for that.

We had a few of her family visiting of the summer and I made venison burgers. I know if I told them it was venison they wouldn't have eaten it, so I just said 'How about some burgers?'

There was none left.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
K
K
Elk from the Missouri Breaks in Montana,not from the mountains in Western MT.,Whitetail deer,then antelope.I hope I never have to eat mule deer again.
I've eaten bighorn sheep,mountain goat,elk,whitetail,mule deer,black bear,moose,caribou,beaver,muskrat,porcupine,grouse(ruffed,spruce,sharptail,)Hungarian partridge,pheasants,ducks,geese,swan,sandhill cranes,doves,snipe,squirrels,rabbits(cottontail,snowshoe and Jack rabbit)and I even tried coyote made into summer sausage once,one bite.But Elk is my favorite.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sheridan, the beef might get a touch more grain than the elk. Unless the elk herd has been camped on a wheat field.....grin

Steelhead, here's one. My wife loves chicken and pheasant.

But won't touch the pheasant, afraid of biting/swallowing a copper plated #5.

Freaks her out. I said just don't chomp around like an old cow and you'll be fine.

Evidentially bad advice.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cooked up a big batch of tacos for a gathering of my students last year. Most are not from here and the talk eventually turned to game meat. Many remarked they've never had venison or antelope.
I just had to tell them..

" If you ate those tacos....you have!" laugh

They actually thought it was cool instead of being repulsed.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sheridan, the beef might get a touch more grain than the elk. Unless the elk herd has been camped on a wheat field.....grin

Steelhead, here's one. My wife loves chicken and pheasant.

But won't touch the pheasant, afraid of biting/swallowing a copper plated #5.

Freaks her out. I said just don't chomp around like an old cow and you'll be fine.

Evidentially bad advice.

texture is a different, fat levels are different....but a steak from the beef you and the other guys around here raise is a fair ways away from what most tend to think of as beef....its a hell of alot leaner than any steak you get at a decent restaurant for one thing....most decent restaurant steaks and most feedlot beef tastes flat out greasy to me...

course after eating mule deer all these years i cant figure what peoples hang up with lamb is....i dont mind lamb at all...

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
For me it is elk followed very closely by Dall sheep. I have had amazing antelope, and antelope that would gaga a maggot.... Both times the antelope were handled properly, and quickly. Go figure...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dall sheep or stones sheep is tops in my books early caribou is also outstanding. Cow elk is pretty tasty and so is moose but it can be a little chewy.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Of course, many Americans prefer bland food or drink in general, due to the processed stuff designed not to offend anybody which makes up most supermarket foods. Which explains why many choose Budweiser and Coors over microbrews, Kraft macaroni and cheese over fresh pasta and real cheese, and Chicken McNuggets over real chicken.

That all makes sense, John - I prefer microbrews and the girls do, in fact, drink Budweiser and Coors (light, no less)! Coffee is another one - the bolder/darker, the better. The girls think my beer and coffee is disgusting grin

Jerry

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
JGray, I have a done a few taste tests and compared our home grown beef to store bought. The home grown always has more flavor and a little different flavor as well.

Sam, I'm not sure I've had home grown beef and think I need to change that. I know quite a few folks that buy a half or whole beef, often splitting it between a couple families. I eat more venison so generally buy smaller quantities from the local markets (usually just steaks and burger). My neighbor raises a few cows and butchers one for his own consumption every now and then - I'm sure he'd work with me on a smaller quantity...

Jerry

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
even with all the wild game we ate(Darla and i would generally buy and fill a couple doe tags along with the buck tags) we bought usually a full beef a year, some years one and a half, a half at a time cause of two athletic girls in the house....we damn near went broke feeding them.....Jess, after practice, would come home, thaw out a 2 pound package of burger, make herself 3 giant hamburgers for a snack and then eat a full supper 2 hours later...was unreal to watch.....she didnt have hardly any fat on her either, burned it off playing sports

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Recently my wife bought water buffalo and we were trying to decide what it tasted like. IMO it tastes like any other buffalo/bison - maybe not quite as lean and dry.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Evidentially bad advice.

Yeah my wife probably wouldn't react that great either if I told her not to do something like an ol'cow. laugh

Big Horn sheep
Elk or pheasant

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
sheridan,

We went through the same "disappearing meat" deal with Eileen's son. We'd cook a 10-pound elk roast in Friday night, expecting to use it for various meals all weekend, and find it gone by Saturday afternoon.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ralphie

Evidentially bad advice.

Yeah my wife probably wouldn't react that great either if I told her not to do something like an ol'cow. laugh

Big Horn sheep
Elk or pheasant

Ralphie, sure I said it in a little more sensitive manner....grin

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 1Akshooter, 62 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,255
Posts18,467,016
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.