Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Recently a couple of pards and I went elk hunting, and each of us had a cow tag. This is open-country elk hunting, and often a long shot is a necessity. I happened to take along my Kimber 7WSM/SS 3-9x42 w/MD, stoked with the 162AM at 3070fps.

We came across a herd of cows, and had the opportunity to use the 162 on 2 of them. The first cow was shot at a bit steeper quartering angle than we initially thought, at 532 meters. The first bullet entered just in front of the rear ham, penetrated the abdominal cavity, liver, lungs, ribs, and was recovered under the hide by the offside front shoulder. It penetrated roughly 4' of elk. At this point the cow whirled around and started running broadside. The second bullet hit a little further back than intended, penetrating the rear quarter, and exiting the opposite side. The proper amount of lead was used for the third bullet as the cow continued to run broadside, which hit in the ribs right behind the front leg, halfway up the body. The entry hole was 2" across, and the bullet exited the offside ribs, with a 1/2" exit hole. The cow immediately stumbled and went down for good. A grand total of about 1/4 lb of meat was lost from the rear quarters.

The second cow was initially shot at 463 meters with a 208AM fired from a .300WM. The cow was broadside and the wind gusted just a bit as the rifle fired, and the bullet hit her in the liver. It did not exit, and was not recovered. She bedded down out of sight. On the approach to finish her, she became aware of us, and got up to run. At this point a 162 hit her at 765 meters at a steep quartering angle as she was running off. It hit her in the rear quarter, penetrated diagonally, and exited just behind the offside front shoulder. This bullet also penetrated 3.5-4' of elk. She was finished off with a neck shot at 10'.

All in all, I continue to be impressed by just how deep these pills dig, as well as the wound channel that they leave.

Here's a couple of pics of the recovered bullet:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Jordan,

Thanks for the post! Impressive performance for a target bullet....

David

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
thanks for the report..Havent heard of that much azz shootin in awhile, but its a pretty decent bullet test ha.

They dont dig so deep at closer range IME

Last edited by rosco1; 12/02/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One in the ass is better than two in the grass...

Love those 162s.

Tanner

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Those are some far shots. Sounds like a great time

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tanner, congrats. you got over the hump. 10K

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yeah, congratulations on your elk hunt. Those 162 did a good job.

Enjoy the elk meat.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats Jordan! Always nice to see real world results.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Congrats Jordan and thanks for sharing the info. I'll put some chicken bones around my bedpost tonight and say a small chant to keep the nay-sayin schitt storm away!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rosco1
thanks for the report..Havent heard of that much azz shootin in awhile, but its a pretty decent bullet test ha.

Never been one to care much what part of the critter happens to be between me and the vitals...but this was a fair stage for the 162 to strut its stuff.

Having smashed bone as close as 40 yards with the same load, I've seen consistent deep-digging performance. What makes you say they don't do so well up close?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Congrats Jordan and thanks for sharing the info. I'll put some chicken bones around my bedpost tonight and say a small chant to keep the nay-sayin schitt storm away!

Much abliged. I was wondering when that was going to begin... grin

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Never been one to care much what part of the critter happens to be between me and the vitals...but this was a fair stage for the 162 to strut its stuff.

Having smashed bone as close as 40 yards with the same load, I've seen consistent deep-digging performance. What makes you say they don't do so well up close?

I really like the bullet, used to use it a bunch.But had a few zook and moved onto others. I have been told that they fugged with the 162 around the time I had issues, and that it is now sorted out?

I will still use them,as I said i think highly of them.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

I shot a buck this year with a 162 Amax at 18 yards outta the .280.... Impact velocity would have been about 2825fps. That bullets zooked big-time..... entrance wound in the ribs was about 3".... no exit.... no big bones hit. Deer went down in a hurry.... and the insides were soup. But, I was very surprised to see less than 12" penetration.

I've used them before, and I'll use them again..... but this time it definitely didn't act like a bullet that'd go through 4' elk.

Entrance.....
[Linked Image]

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They probably like rear entry and firm up accordingly....

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

I shot a buck this year with a 162 Amax at 18 yards outta the .280.... Impact velocity would have been about 2825fps. That bullets zooked big-time..... entrance wound in the ribs was about 3".... no exit.... no big bones hit. Deer went down in a hurry.... and the insides were soup. But, I was very surprised to see less than 12" penetration.

I've used them before, and I'll use them again..... but this time it definitely didn't act like a bullet that'd go through 4' elk.

Entrance.....
[Linked Image]

Sounds like VLD-esque performance on that one. I'm sure IV had a lot to do with the penetration that we saw on these particular elk...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
They probably like rear entry and firm up accordingly....

laugh laugh

Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Entrance.....
[Linked Image]

Sounds like VLD-esque performance on that one. I'm sure IV had a lot to do with the penetration that we saw on these particular elk...

I have never had a VLD blow up on entrance. Had lots of AMAXs grenade on contact but it was expected and wanted. The 75gr AMAX at 3500fps is awesome coyote medicine if fur is of no interest.

Not a slam on AMAXs but they will without question open quicker than VLDs. That's what a poly tip does, opens on contact.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 12/03/14.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, John. That's why I said VLD-esque. I was referring to the similar depth of penetration, although the method of entry was very different....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had mixed results with the 162. This was a close range shot...7WSM
[Linked Image]

Same bullet, same gun, but 100ish yards...
[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Congrats on the elk. The 7mm 162 grain Amax appears to be better penetrator than the 208 grain Amax .308 bullet.
The second cow was initially shot at 463 meters with a 208AM fired from a .300WM. The cow was broadside and the wind gusted just a bit as the rifle fired, and the bullet hit her in the liver. It did not exit, and was not recovered.

It is good to know differences exist. It is like the difference between a 120 grain 7mm ballistic tip and the 140 grain ballistic tip. If I recall correctly, Scenarshooter reported something similar between the .308 155 scenar and a heavier scenar bullet in .308. My good friend has had similar success with Hornaday's standard 162 BTHP 7mm.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
One in the ass is better than two in the grass...

Do that mean you would rather wound something than have a clean miss? Just being flippant or would that make you feel better about missing the vitals?

I guess the follow up to that would be this quote from the Outlaw Josey Wales "Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms."

After some of the crap I saw people doing while huntingwhile shooting at antelope this season that saying pizzes me off.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 61 invisible), 3,033 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.