Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Those are some impressive cats rattler FieldGrade. I always like lookin at the pics you post for sure. I'd think every cat in the country you hunt in hates to see your truck come rollin down the road! laffin

In Tn we can't chase bobcats with dogs where I hunt. We are allowed to kill one a day while using calls. Our season is almost four months long here. Several cats are killed by deer and bear hunters, which is allowed, still just one per day.

Trapping there is no limit. But un fortunately I live about two hours away from any viable population so running trap lines isn't in the picture for me.

Just curious what you do with the skulls? I'd think there would be a market for them too.

Heres a scratching post I found last year while doing some hand calling. It sets on a rock out crop that's about 2 ft deep. The front of the rock face is about 5 ft strait up off the ground and the back side is about 30 ft.
It's the first one I ever noticed. I don't know if it's something they will use year after year or not.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by tndrbstr; 12/02/14.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Those are some impressive cats rattler. I always like lookin at the pics you post for sure. I'd think every cat in the country you hunt in hates to see your truck come rollin down the road! laffin

In Tn we can't chase bobcats with dogs where I hunt. We are allowed to kill one a day while using calls. Our season is almost four months long here. Several cats are killed by deer and bear hunters, which is allowed, still just one per day.

Trapping there is no limit. But un fortunately I live about two hours away from any viable population so running trap lines isn't in the picture for me.

Just curious what you do with the skulls? I'd think there would be a market for them too.

Heres a scratching post I found last year while doing some hand calling. It sets on a rock out crop that's about 2 ft deep. The front of the rock face is about 5 ft strait up off the ground and the back side is about 30 ft.
It's the first one I ever noticed. I don't know if it's something they will use year after year or not.

[Linked Image]

You said Rattler but I think you're talking to me. I'm going to reply even if you weren't . grin
I save the skulls from the big Toms. They make great gifts and/or trading fodder.
Matter of fact, I've given quite a few to members around here. They love them.

They also make great props for knife pix. smile
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

ETA,,,, that scratching post is interesting. I've never seen one but I know Lions make them so it stands to reason Bobcats would too. A cat's a cat, right?

Last edited by FieldGrade; 12/02/14.
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
You said Rattler but I think you're talking to me. I'm going to reply even if you weren't . grin
I
ETA,,,, that scratching post is interesting. I've never seen one but I know Lions make them so it stands to reason Bobcats would too. A cat's a cat, right?

Yea I was! I reckon I was havein one of those moments!!

I'm gonna check that tree out when I head back in there later this season. It was clawed all the way around it like that, it's not all the way through the bark.
How it is located on the narrow outcropping and the height of it, a cat was the only thing I could think of that might do it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's what I figured. I have "those" moments on a daily basis so it was easy for me to spot. blush

Stands to reason that Bobcat(s) made that scratch. Only other thing I can think of being in TN would be Bear but you'd think it would be higher up if that were the case.
Like I said earlier, "Lion's definitely do it so why not Bobcats"?

T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

That's what I figured. I have "those" moments on a daily basis so it was easy for me to spot. blush

Stands to reason that Bobcat(s) made that scratch. Only other thing I can think of being in TN would be Bear but you'd think it would be higher up if that were the case.
Like I said earlier, "Lion's definitely do it so why not Bobcats"?

We have a lot of bears in the area. They seem to generally pick on trees that they can bite about half into when they are marking their ground. As you stated, the sign is a lot higher off the ground. And around here they hit smaller white pines or hemlocks more often than not.
I know deer will often make and use a sign post that numerous bucks leave scent on year after year. I was thinking that this could fall into the same category as that. But then it may just be a one time itch that a cat was scratching.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I recently sold a bobcat skull for $20. M.Lion for $40.
Tx. bobs prolly small compared to Field Grade.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well done FieldGrade... Great pics.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
593 members (160user, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,217
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.