Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
ismith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for catching the missing clip slot BSA, saved me a huge headache! What do I have here guys?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx32/madisonvalleywapiti/DSCN1151.jpg[/img]

Last edited by ismith; 12/03/14.
BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for listing this here. There are a few members here who really like the NM Winchester model 70's. I do believe ALL National Match rifles had the clip slot. I'm looking for the exact quote by Roger Rule in his "the rifleman's rifle" book. Your rifle also looks like it's never had a lyman or other aperature sight installed. the front sight ramp looks like an original NM. Is the barrel drilled/tapped for the telescope sight block? It appears to have the #5 marksman stock which would coincide with the year of manufacture of your rifle. Do you know if the trigger has a "T" stamp on it?

Edit to add: Taken from Rules "The rifleman's rifle" book:

Page 181

According to Rule: "All National Matches were slotted for loading with a clip, regardless of the era or production period"....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
EricM, winpoor, reelman. What do you guys know about these national match rifles? I really like your rifle buddy. The stock is very nice and looks to be in original condition other than the grip cap. I also look forward to hearing some of the other Winchester guys opinions...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
ismith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thanks for listing this here. There are a few members here who really like the NM Winchester model 70's. I do believe ALL National Match rifles had the clip slot. I'm looking for the exact quote by Roger Rule in his "the rifleman's rifle" book. Your rifle also looks like it's never had a lyman or other aperature sight installed. the front sight ramp looks like an original NM. Is the barrel drilled/tapped for the telescope sight block? It appears to have the #5 marksman stock which would coincide with the year of manufacture of your rifle. Do you know if the trigger has a "T" stamp on it?

Edit to add: Taken from Rules "The rifleman's rifle" book:

Page 181

According to Rule: "All National Matches were slotted for loading with a clip, regardless of the era or production period"....

I grabbed my copy of Rules book as soon as you asked me about the clip slot. The barrel is dated '53 and there is no T on the trigger. I'm fairly confident that this is a parts gun. At this point I'm wondering if it would make more sense to part it out.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
ismith, does the bolt have the serial number etched on to it?

BSA MAGA
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Well I definitely differ to BSA, Winpoor, and reelman on determining what exactly this is. I do however have some experience in breaking down an action and selling it as parts. I have been known to do that a time or two in order to fund the purchase of long looked for and finally found pre-64 model 70. I would say if you break down that rifle you should get between 600-800 for that action alone if sold off in parts. The barrel if it is national match correct should be north of 150 easy, if not then 100$ assuming good bore and external bluing. The stock I have truly no idea since I have really never seen one sold on the open market, but I dont think I would take any less then 300 as I understand it they are rare and super hard to find. I think you should be able to clear at least 1000 on the low end and most likely much more if you broke it down to parts.

Three most useless things to a pilot are:
1. The altitude above you
2. The runway behind you
3. The fuel on the ground
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Leave it as is and enjoy what you have. We can't all have perfect rifles as they left the factory. I would be proud to own a rifle like that, no matter if it was built up or not.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree, with the missing clip slot it looks like a parts gun. Still, pretty cool rifle. I'd keep it as is and shoot it!

Eric

ismith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I now have this relisted for $850. I will sell the stock for $300 and the barreled action w/ bolt for $650.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A couple of things that don't look factory to me. I don't think the target stocks had grip caps and the grip looks longer than it should. Bolt sleeve looks to be a re-blue. But I'll bet it will be a pile of fun to shoot.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I will take barreled action. check PM, very best winpoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
A couple of things that don't look factory to me. I don't think the target stocks had grip caps and the grip looks longer than it should. Bolt sleeve looks to be a re-blue. But I'll bet it will be a pile of fun to shoot.

I totally agree. Especially the "fun to shoot" part grin. I actually like the rifle and ismith had it priced right to begin with. I hope he doesn't think I was running his rifle down due to the no clip slot remark.

BSA MAGA
ismith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, this was sold back on the 4th but the buyer just informed me today that he cant buy it, so back up it goes.

Last edited by ismith; 12/15/14.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Sorry for coking late to the party, I was on a hunt in Oklahoma.

It look like a parts gun but the barrel looks like a real NM barrel - where would they ever get one of those? The floor plate looks to worn for the condition of the stock??? If that's an original NM stock and it hadn't had the grip cap added to it the value of the stock alone would have easily been $1000 IMHO as you just will never find another NM stock - ever!

As was said if it were mine I would enjoy it as is or build it into a 35 Whelen, but that's just me.

I'm flattered that people defer to me on M70's but I'm more into Pre-war and transition than post war guns. My post wars are used more for hunting although I'm real tempted to pull out my transition 257 SG Carbine next year for deer.

ismith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Seen a bunch of beautiful model 70s at the Bozeman gun show on Saturday, to include a very nice transition .257 Roberts. How did the hunt go?

Last edited by ismith; 12/15/14.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ismith
Seen a bunch of beautiful model 70s at the Bozeman gun show on Saturday, to include a very nice transition .257 Roberts. How did the hunt go?

I would have been drooling at that gunshow. I'll bet shrapnel was buying all the good stuff there grin

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Well, this was sold back on the 4th but the buyer just informed me today that he cant buy it, so back up it goes.

Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
I will take barreled action. check PM, very best winpoor

I thought winpoor was wanting to buy the barreled action?

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

The hunt went great. My brother and I both used the M70 Ultra Grades out of Winchester's Custom Shop that our father gave us shortly before he passed away 4 years ago. I hunted with mine once before and my brother never had a scope on his. I said "Let's use them in memory of Pa" so we scoped them up bought a case of Winchester 140gr Accu Bonds and we each shot our best buck to date! I think Pa was looking down on us smile

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I wanted the gun, went and made sure I had a nice sporter stock for it, someone else bought it ( we thought) so I went and bought up a sack full leupold scopes, my pet pieve is having to swap a dag dam scope! WinPoor

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
671 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 56 invisible), 3,126 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,219
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.