Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Nice work!

One thing nice about a super light rifle is that you can afford a little extra weight on the glass if you like you have to be more careful about what you hang on it as you will be subjecting the scope to greater recoil forces as well as putting a larger burden on the rings to holder the scope, especially a heavier one, and the mounts and screws will have larger stresses to deal with as well.

I made a couple minor changes to the otherwise great thought. laugh (Your idea would probably be applicable to an equivalent rifle in a lighter caliber however.)

Last edited by Klikitarik; 12/05/14.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
BP-B6

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
bellydeep,

Aside from the thinness of the barrel when rebored to .35, Nosler's data only gives 225's 2600 fps in the .338-06 because they only tried 4 powders, while their .35 Whelen 225-grain data includes 10 powders. Both Barnes and Hornady show 2700 for the .338-06 with 225's.

The Whelen's capable of about 3% more velocity when both rounds are loaded to the same pressure. Using the 225 AccuBond as an example in both rounds, loaded to 2700 in the .338-06 and 2800 in the .35 Whelen, the .33 caliber catches up in velocity at about 200 yards, and the gap widens beyond there. Oh, and the .338-06 kicks a little less, because the bullet isn't started as fast.

Elmer Keith noticed this longer-range advantage for .33 caliber bullets about 75 years ago, the reason he developed the .333 OKH and "quit" the .35 Whelen. This doesn't mean the .35 Whelen's a bad cartridge, just that muzzle velocity doesn't tell the entire story, especially when it's only from one source of loading data.

Bullets matter farrrrrrrr more than headstamps. Hint.

The .35 can't begin to hang,on ANY level...in a like sized case. The .338" 250 Scenar has a .675BC,full stop,end of story,35's are dog schit.

Now the bane of L/A Montuckies are their rather trite mag confines,which can,will and do affect boolit selection...which can,will and do upset the cart. That fact is rather unfortunate and as diameter goes up,boolits get longer(when talking meaningful BC's) and the door slams shut even tighter.

Beings Joe Average(s) ain't very fhuqking bright(understatement),their lead in "thought",is going to be that "BC doesn't matter",which is hilarious. Nope...funnier than that. Ping Pong Ball Launchers can't hang. Re-hint.

The overlooked .338" 250 Skinner is a phenom and at a paltry 2500fps launch,from a 200yd zero in a 5000' atmosphere of 70% humidity at 29.92,it'll reach the 1000yd line retaining an amazing 1555fps(less than 1000fps loss in transit) and drift but 57" in a full value 10mph wind. 'Course that threshold will fly over pointy heads,but a boolit's starting mannerisms,ain't nearly as important as it's finishing mannerisms and a .675BC(JBM Silver Skinner inputs) greedily clings on to it's speed and slips atmospherics wickedly. Mouths will be agape and noone will be able to correlate the Magnificence Ratio at any/all distances,from powder burns to the transonic slips,which only adds to the humor. The upside being of course,that there is NO downside. Tough to beat them "odds". It's comforting to know,that a 1" 6x42 has the moxy to literally hang,as well as the erector travel requisite to do as one pleases,beings the transition from zero to 1K,is sub 31MOA. 'Course that too,will sail well above heads.

As per always,it's impossible to get giddy about lazy twists,misaligned COAL constraints or botched throats...if only because them are the dots that shine brightest when connected and the ONLY way to arrange the warm/fuzzy.

A .473" L/A Montucky's best use for dot connection,is in 6-06/6-06AI,because slickery BC's come at a lesser length.

Not that numerous dropped balls and disconnected dots,don't swoon Sheep and Ping Pong Ball Launchers,due the multiple insulating layers of their ignorance.

But hey...it IS funny.(grin)

Pass the OEM Montucky 7-08 and 162's at 2700fps.

Hint.................

(Addendum: as my crummy is warming up and coffee brewing)

The 210PT is a common theme,which is constantly hilarious. Assuming a 2700fps launch with it,in the above cited atmosphere and like zero,it has a 40fps advantage in impact velocity at 200yds over the Skinner.

At 400yds the 250 has a better than 100fps impact velocity advantage(arriving faster at 500yds,than the 210 do at 400yds) and drifts 50% less. 'Course then it gets REAL ugly.

Boolits fhuqk with heads and it amazes me,how many are in such great hurries to drop soooooooo many balls and build themselves into numerous corners.

Though I do enjoy the humor!(grin)

No feat to flop MPAJ,dope a scope and arrange POA/POI intersections of meaningful BC's,as one pleases.

BUT...you gotta do it,in order to do it.

Hint.................

(RE-'dendum: The first (2) creeks are looooowwwwww)

'Lanche,

FACTS is VERY fhuqking funny. Perhaps wax eloquent on COAL latitude,boolit selection,throat geometry,twist rate and conjoin the belly laughs with some pics of the meldings...if only to reiterate obliviously,that which reliably escapes your faculties.

Never been tough to cypher,who shoots more than a smidge and to the confounding chagrin of Window Lickers fhuqking everywhere...Pretend ain't Real,no matter how feverishly they Imagine it to be.

You're doing "great" and really gave that POS some serious "thought"!

Laughing!...................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What JB said, and per Bigstick on OAL, if an issue there is always the Proven 210 PT and 210 TSX, HOWEVER, I ran 225 PT vs 210 for more energy, BC/SD, and only giving up 2" drop at 400 w/a 200 zero.

Ran a 1.5-6x 4200 in Colorado and it was a heavish scope, as my 8lb rifle sans scope was not so generous for any extra. Later had a 2.5-8 for a Texas hunt where I pole axed a nice 8 point, and then a 6x42 for local hunting, the latter I did most of the load testing, everything was 1/2" from 200 BTs, to 225s, though speaking of OD, mine was a bit thick, as I told Hart .050 over either sporter or Mag contour, a mistake. Mag contour would have been about right, and 22 if did again.

My former 22" SS Ruger 350 had a BOOM, I figure a similar capacity/expansion ratio OKH should be similar but a little closer to the ears.

A guy on another forum chopped his 338 WM from 24 to either 20 or 21, as I recall, and it lost little speed. I chopped one I had to 22.5, and as a mag contour it did well. My 23 was more than needed on my OKH.

It will handle well, if balanced. A 4x33, 6x, or small variable like the 2-7, 2.5-8x is what I would be looking at running. Never been happy mismatching a bulky heavy scope atop a rifle not welcoming it.

Never much to disagree on Big Sticks Calculations, but I question if one can make a shot with a flyweight OKH at 1K, so not sure how it applies, nor if the OP has plans for LR.

The biggest shock to me is not the 20" or OAL etc., it is the re-boring to 338 in a contour that light. So long as safe, no problem. It should heat fast. Cold bore first shot is key, so if stable, should be fine in the field. My 700 was chambered for 250s just b/c, and having such a deep throat, the OAL was very long and mag compatible, and still shot bugholes with 200 and 225s, so no regrets on how it turned out.

My biggest complaint was choosing TOO heavy a contour in my younger years, and then having the bolt handle fall off on the first shot after that Colorado Elk trip. Had I taken an Elk, it would have been with ONE shot, and the rifle would still be wrapped around an Aspen on some Mountain side!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pal
Nice but I would have been plenty satisfied with the original .270. smile

Their is no rationale for what some Looney's do, folks like Bobin happily run an OEM, and successfully as expected. Then others want something different, less recoil, flatter trajectory, more KE, etc.

Those who like to tinker are never satisfied with status quo, as there MUST be a better way wink

No doubt, a 708, 270, or 280 would be MY limit on recoil in a Montucky, and it's a good thing for my wallet they are not chambered in say a 6.5 Creedmoor or 47 Lapua, 6XC, or 6.5x55. Looney's must be tempted with something different smile

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick
bellydeep,

Aside from the thinness of the barrel when rebored to .35, Nosler's data only gives 225's 2600 fps in the .338-06 because they only tried 4 powders, while their .35 Whelen 225-grain data includes 10 powders. Both Barnes and Hornady show 2700 for the .338-06 with 225's.

The Whelen's capable of about 3% more velocity when both rounds are loaded to the same pressure. Using the 225 AccuBond as an example in both rounds, loaded to 2700 in the .338-06 and 2800 in the .35 Whelen, the .33 caliber catches up in velocity at about 200 yards, and the gap widens beyond there. Oh, and the .338-06 kicks a little less, because the bullet isn't started as fast.

Elmer Keith noticed this longer-range advantage for .33 caliber bullets about 75 years ago, the reason he developed the .333 OKH and "quit" the .35 Whelen. This doesn't mean the .35 Whelen's a bad cartridge, just that muzzle velocity doesn't tell the entire story, especially when it's only from one source of loading data.

The .35 can't begin to hang,on ANY level...in a like sized case. The .338" 250 Scenar has a .675BC,full stop,end of story,35's are dog schit.

Now the bane of L/A Montuckies are their rather trite mag confines,which can,will and do affect boolit selection...which can,will and do upset the cart. That fact is rather unfortunate and as diameter goes up,boolits get longer(when talking meaningful BC's) and the door slams shut even tighter.

Beings Joe Average(s) ain't very fhuqking bright(understatement),their lead in "thought",is going to be that "BC doesn't matter",which is hilarious. Nope...funnier than that. Ping Pong Ball Launchers can't hang. Re-hint.

The overlooked .338" 250 Skinner is a phenom and at a paltry 2500fps launch,from a 200yd zero in a 5000' atmosphere of 70% humidity at 29.92,it'll reach the 1000yd line retaining an amazing 1555fps(less than 1000fps loss in transit) and drift but 57" in a full value 10mph wind. 'Course that threshold will fly over pointy heads,but a boolit's starting mannerisms,ain't nearly as important as it's finishing mannerisms and a .675BC(JBM Silver Skinner inputs) greedily clings on to it's speed and slips atmospherics wickedly. Mouths will be agape and noone will be able to correlate the Magnificence Ratio at any/all distances,from powder burns to the transonic slips,which only adds to the humor. The upside being of course,that there is NO downside. Tough to beat them "odds". It's comforting to know,that a 1" 6x42 has the moxy to literally hang,as well as the erector travel requisite to do as one pleases,beings the transition from zero to 1K,is sub 31MOA. 'Course that too,will sail well above heads.

As per always,it's impossible to get giddy about lazy twists,misaligned COAL constraints or botched throats...if only because them are the dots that shine brightest when connected and the ONLY way to arrange the warm/fuzzy.

A .473" L/A Montucky's best use for dot connection,is in 6-06/6-06AI,because slickery BC's come at a lesser length.

Not that numerous dropped balls and disconnected dots,don't swoon Sheep and Ping Pong Ball Launchers,due the multiple insulating layers of their ignorance.

Hint.................

The 210PT is a common theme,which is constantly hilarious. Assuming a 2700fps launch with it,in the above cited atmosphere and like zero,it has a 40fps advantage in impact velocity at 200yds over the Skinner.

At 400yds the 250 has a better than 100fps impact velocity advantage(arriving faster at 500yds,than the 210 do at 400yds) and drifts 50% less. 'Course then it gets REAL ugly.

Boolits fhuqk with heads and it amazes me,how many are in such great hurries to drop soooooooo many balls and build themselves into numerous corners.

No feat to flop MPAJ,dope a scope and arrange POA/POI intersections of meaningful BC's,as one pleases.

Hint.................

HAHA...thanks I'll keep all that in mind. Thanks for the morning humor....good stuff.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
That has to be butt heavy.

Balance point is 3/4" behind the front action screw. We'll see how it goes.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Originally Posted by Big Stick
bellydeep,

Hint.................

Hint.................

HAHA...thanks I'll keep all that in mind. Thanks for the morning humor....good stuff.

It's a shame your moderator buds on AOD banned big stick yrs ago. I learned good things from him on reloading and AOD could benefited from him but guys over their rather taker loading advice from smittyofnorth

Last edited by 79S; 12/05/14.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stick,

No doubt .338 bullets are better for LR shooting. However, I haven't seen anything in this thread to indicate that is what the rifle was built for.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Very nice rifle. Excellent execution...excluding the scope. If that were mine, it would wear a S&B Zenith 1.1-4x24.

What twist rate did you go with?

338-06 is perfection. It doesn't kick hard, the bullets have high BC, it is pretty efficient in short barrels, and it consistently puts animals down within a few steps.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S

It's a shame your moderator buds on AOD banned big stick yrs ago. I learned good things from him on reloading and AOD could benefited from him but guys over their rather taker loading advice from smittyofnorth

Which is one of the reasons I am on here a lot more than over there the past few years.

IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Did you have to do anything special to get the bolt handle off? I've tried removing mine with leather wrapped around it and a large pipe wrench, as well as a vice. It's on there pretty good. I need to try soaking it, and/or the heat gun.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
lanche,

If you are going to keep your shooting under 400yds or so don't over look the 200 gr Hornady. I found it to fly flatter than what it should have, and it always held together and did its job really well on the 2 species of deer we have here as well as putting elk in the dirt before they new what was going on. Yeah, some will say the BC sucks on the little Hornady but for normal hunting ranges I was very impressed. I ran it out of a 22" 338-06AI at 2850.
Nice looking handy rifle there by the way.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hope you have good dental insurance. At that weight a 338-06 will knock filling loose

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I bought a LH blue Wood Stock and a RH SS Syn stock. Ruger 20" 338 RCM around 6.5 #. Ballistically the same a yours Luke. Very accurate both of them ande can see 2680 FPS with 225 Gr bullets.
Not as light as yours but well balanced. Very accurate both were
under 1" with first loads with no tinkering.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
That is a sweet rifle. Nice build, in a great cartridge.

Do you mind sharing how much it cost you, all said and done?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ghostman
Hope you have good dental insurance. At that weight a 338-06 will knock filling loose

I'm on Obamacare baby!!!!! smile

Seriously just sighted and shot some prilimanary work up loads. 50 rounds down and away. Just shot off sandbags. Honestly it isn't any worse than my Browning TI in 325 WSM.

Both the 210 Sciroccos and the 225 Accubonds shot better as I moved up in powder. 62 grains yielded nearly a clover leaf with the 210 Siroccos and 60 grains was just under an inch with the 225 Accubonds....neither load showed signs of pressure so there is some wiggle room to work it up.

My shoulder feels like I went shooting today certainly, but its not as bad as some people make it out to be or think it might be.

Oh yeah the VX-6 2-12 is still holding strong too, but we'll see how long it lasts.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Looks great, Luke! Bet we see pics with lots of dead critters with that rifle.

BTW, did you bed it?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What is the cost of having JES rebore?

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Interesting build, Luke. Keep us posted on your progress.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fotis
What is the cost of having JES rebore?

I had JES do both the rebore and cut it from 24" to 21" and recrown...everything ran me $275.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
133 members (300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,812 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.