Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just came across the Tenzing packs. On the surface, the Tenzing 2200 appears to be exactly what I'm looking for.

What can you tell me about these packs; where are they made, durable, quiet, customer service, comfort?

Enlighten me.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

GB1

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Tenzing = Plano = branded China product being sold to fill a perceived niche and increase company sales thru expanding said companies markets.
Easton Outdoors is following the same strategy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WapitiBob
Tenzing = Plano = branded China product being sold to fill a perceived niche and increase company sales thru expanding said companies markets.

ouch...good to know

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 2200 I bought on an Amazon super deal for about $40 or so. I can't remember exactly. I wouldn't use it to pack meat out but I used it this year for Midwest deer hunting and was very happy with it. For the money it is MUCH better than the cheap pack I was using. I found it comfortable for what I did with it. I am gonna buy a Kifaru this year for a meat hauler and when I hunt out of my area but for a simple day pack I am very happy with it. It doesn't have to be expensive to serve a purpose. YMMV.

Reno

Reno

The time is drawing nearer for the American People to stand up for what they believe in. To stop having their rights trampled by the a$$holes in Washington D.C.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have used the badlands 2400 for years and this year got a tenzing 2200 to try. I liked it as far as comfort and easy to use pockets. It fit me better than my badlands. As mentioned in other posts, You will not be able to haul an elk quarter with it. I hauled deer quarters this year with it, but you will need something bigger for elk. For the rest of the year I have a tenzing 1250 fanny pack that I use for summer hiking. It will haul everything I need, plus I can carry my hand gun on this pack between the belt and outside pocket.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are way too many good, 100% Made in USA packs by very good companies and great people out there to throw money into a Chinese-made pack.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4ager
There are way too many good, 100% Made in USA packs by very good companies and great people out there to throw money into a Chinese-made pack.

Lol. I love that line of arguement. Take a walk through your house and count the American made Vs Chinese made things you own.

Don't get me wrong I support going American made whenever it makes sense but show me a decent pack that is American made for $40-$50. I wouldn't have boughten the Tenzig if it hadn't been on sale but just for example I priced out a Kifaru DT1. From them with a few add ons the shopping cart price is almost $900.

Now I obviously know this isn't apple to apples or anything even close but merely an example. The Duplex frame is over $300 if I want any color besides black, foliage or coyote brown. Then I still have to buy some sort of bag to go on it..... In fact Kifaru charges just about as much to "Upgrade" to a camo pattern just on the duplex frame as I paid for my entire pack! Lol.

Like I said I am in the market for a kifaru and will own one before next October (or at least another that is of equal quality) but to say that because it is made in China it doesn't deserve a look a guy better take a walk through his house. Where do you suppose your tv, computer, cell phone or whatever you use is made? Like I said in my origional post, not a meat hauler by any means but for my type of hunting it makes a good day pack and I'm happy with my $40+ I spent on it. YMMV.

We all have opinions but origin of manufacture doesn't automatically mean it's junk. Just my opinion. Flame on!!

Reno

The time is drawing nearer for the American People to stand up for what they believe in. To stop having their rights trampled by the a$$holes in Washington D.C.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RenoH414

Lol. I love that line of arguement. Take a walk through your house and count the American made Vs Chinese made things you own.

Don't get me wrong I support going American made whenever it makes sense but show me a decent pack that is American made for $40-$50. I wouldn't have boughten the Tenzig if it hadn't been on sale but just for example I priced out a Kifaru DT1. From them with a few add ons the shopping cart price is almost $900.

Now I obviously know this isn't apple to apples or anything even close but merely an example. The Duplex frame is over $300 if I want any color besides black, foliage or coyote brown. Then I still have to buy some sort of bag to go on it..... In fact Kifaru charges just about as much to "Upgrade" to a camo pattern just on the duplex frame as I paid for my entire pack! Lol.

Like I said I am in the market for a kifaru and will own one before next October (or at least another that is of equal quality) but to say that because it is made in China it doesn't deserve a look a guy better take a walk through his house. Where do you suppose your tv, computer, cell phone or whatever you use is made? Like I said in my origional post, not a meat hauler by any means but for my type of hunting it makes a good day pack and I'm happy with my $40+ I spent on it. YMMV.

We all have opinions but origin of manufacture doesn't automatically mean it's junk. Just my opinion. Flame on!!

Reno

Never said it was junk. It's about who you support, when you get the chance to do so.

My wife and I have made a conscious decision to buy US or at least allied nation whenever possible, and we do. There is a surprisingly small percentage of stuff in this house that is made in China and it's not that hard to do when you have the choice.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RenoH414

Reno

Never said it was junk. It's about who you support, when you get the chance to do so.

My wife and I have made a conscious decision to buy US or at least allied nation whenever possible, and we do. There is a surprisingly small percentage of stuff in this house that is made in China and it's not that hard to do when you have the choice.

And for that I applaud you. I try to avoid the Wal-Marts and the Targets of the world when I can. I only go into Wally World when I don't have another option. Living in the middle of BFE sometimes they are the only option when needing something. Not a lot of mom and pop stores left in my area and I blame that on the choices people make not the stores themselves. We all have the choice to shop at home when we can.

Reno

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agreed.

For packs, I'll tip toward SeekOutside, HillPeopleGear, Kifaru, Oregon Pack Works, Bison Gear, and a host of others before I sent money to China or Vietnam. The folks that make packs - and other stuff - here are generally very good people. Yes, what they make is normally more expensive, but the money stays here.

Same thing with furniture, or flatware, or silverware, or glasses, or what-have-you.

You're right; in the end, we all make decisions and those decisions have repercussions.

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
OP - I have a 6500 that has about three years of age on it. It's been hauled between 300-350 miles with a 35-55 pound load in it.

Up front, I don't hunt with it, I use it for training throughout the year between Fall seasons. The design is just OK IMHO, it's not a heavy pack, and it lacks some of stability I'd prefer with the load in the pack next to your back. The load straps for the main pouch are designed for the pack to be 50% filled/loaded, and don't secure a flat, heavy load very well. I use one-two 25 pound cement mix bags sealed and taped, they fit in the pouch inside the main pouch.

The pack is reasonably light empty, much more than a comparable sized Erbelstock or Badlands. Dispite fairly thin shoulder straps, they are comfortable and haven't stretched over time. The keepers hold the tension on the shoulder straps, but they slip over the course of a hike, you will be adjusting them about every hour. I didn't have any issues with the zippers or pouches and locations. The waist belt has a range of adjustment from a MR type Small to XL, and like the shoulder straps, will slip a bit over a hike. The belt fits my hips well, and hold the base of the pack in place where I want it. If I could stabilize the load better, I'd be a bit more inclined to take it to the field. But in fairness, I am trying to stabilize a flat, heavy load that does not even begin to fill a 6500 CI pack.

As noted above, it's an overseas sourced product, and I tend to view the construction as medium duty, over heavy duty. If I dropped the pack on a rock slide area on a haul, or it skidded over rough-surface terrian, I wouldn't expect the shell material to survive the contact. Haven't needed the repair services, so no comment there.

It's a non-specific feeling, but I just have reservations about loading it up heavy and going in or out of the back country, I'm concerned it would fail, and significantly enough to not be able to get a load out in one trip. I have a Badlands OX bag and frame, both have hauled and held up well. But, they are much heavier when empty than the Tenzing.

Been hoping that I would get to haul a deer out here in Virginia this Fall, no contact yet. I have a Badland Super Day that is my go-to for day trip hunts.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AH64guy
OP - I have a 6500 that has about three years of age on it. It's been hauled between 300-350 miles with a 35-55 pound load in it.

Up front, I don't hunt with it, I use it for training throughout the year between Fall seasons. The design is just OK IMHO, it's not a heavy pack, and it lacks some of stability I'd prefer with the load in the pack next to your back. The load straps for the main pouch are designed for the pack to be 50% filled/loaded, and don't secure a flat, heavy load very well. I use one-two 25 pound cement mix bags sealed and taped, they fit in the pouch inside the main pouch.

The pack is reasonably light empty, much more than a comparable sized Erbelstock or Badlands. Dispite fairly thin shoulder straps, they are comfortable and haven't stretched over time. The keepers hold the tension on the shoulder straps, but they slip over the course of a hike, you will be adjusting them about every hour. I didn't have any issues with the zippers or pouches and locations. The waist belt has a range of adjustment from a MR type Small to XL, and like the shoulder straps, will slip a bit over a hike. The belt fits my hips well, and hold the base of the pack in place where I want it. If I could stabilize the load better, I'd be a bit more inclined to take it to the field. But in fairness, I am trying to stabilize a flat, heavy load that does not even begin to fill a 6500 CI pack.

As noted above, it's an overseas sourced product, and I tend to view the construction as medium duty, over heavy duty. If I dropped the pack on a rock slide area on a haul, or it skidded over rough-surface terrian, I wouldn't expect the shell material to survive the contact. Haven't needed the repair services, so no comment there.

It's a non-specific feeling, but I just have reservations about loading it up heavy and going in or out of the back country, I'm concerned it would fail, and significantly enough to not be able to get a load out in one trip. I have a Badlands OX bag and frame, both have hauled and held up well. But, they are much heavier when empty than the Tenzing.

Been hoping that I would get to haul a deer out here in Virginia this Fall, no contact yet. I have a Badland Super Day that is my go-to for day trip hunts.

Excellent review, thank you.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

I agree and I'll look at some of the manufacturers you mentioned below.

My wife and I make the same effort as you and your wife do, but unfortunately, there are times when my wallet will not let me give two, three or four times the cost of an item that is "made" in America; made in America and assembled in America of foreign and domestic materials is something totally different and we'll save that discussion for another day.

If you can think of some other American made pack manufacturers, please post up, but unfortunately with one child in college and another on the way, I can't afford the Nimrod pack I'd like to have or some of the others I've looked at.

As we all know, life is about decisions and compromises.....unfortunately.

Last edited by StudDuck; 12/09/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StudDuck

My wife and I make the same effort as you and your wife do, but unfortunately, there are times when my wallet will not let me give two, three or four times the cost of an item that is "made" in America; made in America and assembled in America of foreign and domestic materials is something totally different and we'll save that discussion for another day.

If you can think of some other American made pack manufacturers, please post up, but unfortunately with one child in college and another on the way, I can't afford the Nimrod pack I'd like to have or some of the others I've looked at.

Then, buy used.

What's your price range? I take it that 2200 cu.in is about what you're looking for? How about some details on what you want/need the pack to do?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by StudDuck

Then, buy used.

What's your price range? I take it that 2200 cu.in is about what you're looking for? How about some details on what you want/need the pack to do?

I tend to buy used from the classifieds here, on other forums and as bad as I hate to say it, Egay.

I really don't want to go over $200 right now, because I have a few other items I need to purchase along with it.

As far as the cubic inches are concerned, I can go anywhere between 2000 and 2600. This should provide me with ample space for my gear and the youngest when he is tagging along with me.

As far as the details, the pack will just be used for extra clothing, flashlight, food, water, etc. I won't be packing out any meat or putting harsh demands on it. The majority of my hunting is done from a stand or blind for whitetail. To be honest, about any pack will do, I just need one that is big enough for me and a fledgling hunter.

Last edited by StudDuck; 12/09/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
$200 is an easy budget to hit.

You obviously want an internal frame. Any preference on colors, etc.?

I know I have a couple used packs in that range (heck, an ALICE gets you in that range and for CHEAP).

New, I'd strongly consider the Umlindi by Hill People Gear: http://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/CategoryID/3/ProductID/9/Default.aspx It's about 2200 cu.in, and well thought out.

Another thought would be finding a used or on sale Mystery Ranch "DragonSlayer" or Kifaru "Nomad". Either of those are slightly more than your $200 budget brand new.

Going even older or more used, an older Dana Design "Bombpack" or "M80" would be a good one. I have an M80, for reference.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yep, internal frame. As far as colors go I'm not picky, anything from OD Green to camo; makes no difference.

I considered an ALICE pack, but they make too much noise when coming in contact with brush, etc.

I looked at the HPG pack, I have previous experience with them. A fine product and great customer service.

I really like the Mystery Ranch DragonSlayer, the Nomad was nice, but I liked the DragonSlayer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What about a surplus IBLE or IBLE Assault pack?

Those should work, and the IBLE will give you more space than you need.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heck, if a frameless daypack might work, I'll send you one to try out. It's similar to that Bianchi I linked to you, and I've been using it for years. Works great, and I've put WAY more in there that I probably ever should have.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I bought a Tenzing 2200 as well as an Eberstock X2 earlier this fall to try out. The X2 is WAY more flexible, comfortable, and just all around nice IMHO. You can carry huge loads if you need to, or just cinch it down into a small, comfortable pack. I sent the 2200 back.

http://www.eberlestock.com/X2%20Pack.htm

C
C
Stud duck..hello, I'm a retired Special Forces guy n I broke my back while in Army. I just bought a Eberlestock 107 dragonfly but can't handle a pack any longer due to some discs in my back..I'll sell you it...

Let me know thx....

De Oppresso Liber

Last edited by Cuernos1; 12/20/14.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I appreciate the offer, but I've already purchased a small day pack from the classifieds.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WapitiBob
Not entirely true. A guy at my gym's company makes the frames and stays for Tenzing and I live A LONG WAY from China.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (Akhutr, Berksbowman, batch, BB3, 10gaugemag, 14 invisible), 1,541 guests, and 848 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,208
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.