Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
We had a REALLY good hunt this year. We saw a lot of bucks, and probably 4-5 at or above 100".

I hunted opening morning last year and my wife missed black Friday, so I skipped opening day this year and let her have her day.

Joel came in that day and off we went! Friday night had us glassing for a GREAT buck, well over 100" that I had seen on two different occasions during scouting. And wouldn't you know it, he showed up! Same saddle as always and same time as always... Right at the last bit of light, 1400 yards out. As he topped out on the saddle I heard a single shot from that general direction and never saw him again. I hope hes not dead.

The next morning had us on several NICE deer, but it wasn't meant to be and none of our plans came through. We decided to switch spots and check out my 'secret' area. Well, turned out my secret area isn't so secret as there were several people in it. We respected them all, including Fred in the white F150 with California plates who we respected TWICE yet he parked 10 yards from my truck and walked in our boot steps and set up not 50 yards from us to glass one morning...

But, I digress... This actually happened to be a good thing, as on our way out we decided to glass another spot that we have seem some good deer on. Not 5 minutes after sitting down I see a few deer that looked like they had been spooked. I was guiding Joel in and he said "Does one have its but sticking out of a tree?" The answer was NO but put me on your deer! Long story short, Joel made an incredible 600 yard shot on this beauty and knocked him right back into his bed when he stood up!
[Linked Image]

The following morning we were back at it again with not much to report

Not 5 minutes into glassing on Monday morning I glass one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen! a BIG male lion standing on a rock within shooting distance! I immediately get all the guys set up on it. Once they have their binos on it, I get a range and get my rifle set up. The range is 760, I click the turret to 750, get prong and find him. Jake clears the grass out of my way and I am about to send a bullet down range, already debating between another rug and a life size mount on this one. The trigger on my LRM is 24 oz, and at about 16 oz of pressure, the lion steps off of the rock. I stay on him and the second he pauses for even the briefest second I send the Berger down range, a clean miss. The lion trots up the ridge and out of my life for ever! My heart sank, but I wasn't out of the game! After that lion and the shot ringing through that area, we switch glassing spots.

Long story short, we get my buddy Jake ( who posted his story here) and Mike their bucks, now Jim and I know its our turn. (mostly because we are the only ones left in camp!).

Thursday, when the rain and fog and nasty weather decided to roll in, Jim and I decided to sleep in. But, when we get up we get stir crazy and decided we couldn't kill a deer from camp so off we went. Not 5 minutes into glassing I spotted what looked like a shooter buck nearly a mile away. I couldn't see much detail through the rain and fog through the 15's at that distance so I ran back to the truck to get my spotter. I let Jim know I had a shooter in sight. After setting the spotter up we could see two deer, one for a shooter and the other one we were going to let walk, and we were off! We closed the distance over about 45 minutes as we had about 1400 yards or so go to and the grass and rocks were wet as could be!

When we got to our determined spot, we were a little further than we though. We moved up to 600, where I had turrets figured out for my rifle and began clearing brush and getting set up for the shot. It was at this time we discovered the other buck was better then we thought and it was discussed that if I dropped the first buck, Jim would then take my rifle and shoot the second buck.

The buck was bedded at 600, so we sat and waited for him to stand. When he did, I fired. The deer did not show much reaction, and only ran 30 yards to the left and stood next to where the other buck was bedded. Instead of firing, we moved down the ridge and closed the gap to 487 and set up. We found the buck, set the turret and I fired. WHACK was the report and the buck was down! I had set up my binos and was wathing the grey heap laying at the bottom of the brush while Jim was getting set up on the other buck. All of a sudden my buck was back up! Jim went back to his binos, me back to the gun! I fired again and it was done!

I reloaded the rifle and Jim lined up for a shot on his buck. He put a good hit on him and the buck topped over going in to the next cut.

When we got to my buck I was pleased. we set up for a few photos, gutted him, set him up to drain and then turned him over to drain as we went to find Jims buck.

A short tracking job later, and a finishing shot and it was a done deal! A double in some NASTY weather!

Turns out the 'bigger buck' was an inch and change smaller then the 'little buck'. Mine went 86 3/8, Jims went 87 6/8 with AWESOME 16" beams!

We loaded the deer up and made the mile and a half trek back to the truck.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

On a side note, this was the maiden voyage for my 7 LRM and 180 Berger Hybrids. I am undecided on the Hybrids. Upon skinning my deer, he actually had three holes in him. One in the 5th rib that should have absolutely hammered him and be fatal instantly, one in the neck and one right behind the last rib (the 3rd shot was a 1/4ing away shot).

I have a feeling the second shot was the neck shot as he dropped, and then when he got up he was shaking his head.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Congrats Casey. I'm glad you both were able to kill your deer. I am still in disbelief that I was ably to kill such a outstanding animal. Thank you again for the invite and your hospitality.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good job man, great bucks. Thanks again for your help!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Man no love and respect for the "grey ghost". I bet if they hunted them once or twice they would appreciate them a lot more huh Casey?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice job guys! Great deer.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good going dude -

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Congrats - both really nice bucks!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Really enjoyed the story and especially the pics. Looks like lots of fun to me. Congrats on a great year.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Congrats!!

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Another congrats from here!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
congrats

If you cant hang'em on the wall
Hang'em between your teeth!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats! Great hunt report and photos. Coues deer hunting looks tough but a ton of fun!

Eric

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Thanks for all the comments fellas. It was a great hunt.

Now, the important one... My wife drew a great Tag in a unit I don't know much about. Hopefully we can get out and get her her first deer!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
First- some great looking bucks and rifles. i am envious on the lion . i need to spend more time down there . awesome report. ron

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

599 members (10Glocks, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 63 invisible), 2,173 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,284
Posts18,448,632
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.