-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of these two illustrations should help as well. The first is very important.

[Linked Image]

Some prefer this explanation of the phenomena. I like this angle of dispersion, but think the the muzzle blast would definitely cause shrinkage well after the fact. Adding some Yaw will help if you don't seat the projectile concentrically

[Linked Image]

just a thought

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice recoil pad.........

ChrisF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here's a simplified explanation of "Positive Compensation" which would help explain the phenomenon in the vertical plane.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I think rcamuglia is using Varmint Al to invoke the above principle.

Last edited by ChrisF; 12/08/14.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Chris

Its not in the cards for me to get to MI at this point in my life.

But there is always the next 9 years of slavery and then retirement.... then it could happen.

Now that I"ve read some more....

I may not recall exactly, but what drove me nuts was with the 90s, it would seem you could work a group down to around 3 inches at 600. 5 shot and 10 shot groups would be about the same, this after a LOT of shooting groups to confirm and running lots of 10+1 and 10+1 tests at 600 out of the sling in 22 shot matches(yes that didn't follow rules to a T....)

BUT IIRC the 90s also held about the same 3 inch group at 300 that they did at 600.

I"d bet the 300 yard group shot over time might be more like 2.5 inches and the 600s might even average a bit larger than 3 but for all practical purposes it was the same. 3 at 600 is fine. 3 at 300 is puke.

Please wish the family Merry Christmas from Carolyn and I!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by shrapnel

This diagram can clear up a bunch of confusion, it was a test done a few years ago and helps qualify some misunderstood ballistic phenomenon...

[Linked Image]

Obviously the flaw there is use of too much powder, making the projectile rise after leaving the bore. The pressure required to match that graph is generally to hard on the bullet bases and will knock the accuracy out of the park so that it really doesn't matter that its rising instead of falling.

Thankfully mine generally does fall after its risen, but it has a useful half life in there long enough to make me happy... but I digress

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

ChrisF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jeff,
Would you consider sending your rifle and some ammo to Michigan? I might even be able to to contribute some JLK 90's for the effort.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
That would not be a big deal, unfortunately I don't have those anymore.

Damn it I wish I did. I have some uppers left but both 90 uppers were shot out, all I have is capable by the 7 twist and 75/80s and those never really showed that much to me. It would to an extent by a small margin but nothing enough to scratch my head over.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ChrisF
Clark,
I read your post before you edited it.

I should fact check my posts before I post them:(

[Linked Image]
I was buying scopes from you out of shotgun news in the 90s.
Last year I bought this rifle from your company.
Right now I am ordering from you Weaver S46 and S54 bases to mill off the radius on the bottom to put on these Dumoulin receivers I bought:
[Linked Image]

Did someone says something about quantum mechanics?
I am wondering if human observation decreases entropy, and so causes electron or photon "waveform collapse".

�When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth,� said Sherlock Holmes.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
ChrisF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Clark,
Your original unedited post was a nice trip down internet memory lane. But I would not be the scope peddlin' ChrisF...(although I do have some definite opinions about spotting scopes!)

Ironically, if you check the yarchive.net site of usenet archives, you'll find that Gale McMillan was quite the optics tinkerer/entrepreneur.

ChrisF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Did someone says something about quantum mechanics?
I am wondering if human observation decreases entropy, and so causes electron or photon "waveform collapse".

I'm actually thinking "string theory"...but I keep asking myself, how long a piece of twine do you need to pull the bullet back on course?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just read the wikipedia page on string theory. That did not do me any good. The room is still spinning.

~ 15 years ago I got some emails from Gale about scopes. That was 5 computers ago, so all we have is my poor memory.

He suggested I buy Leupold and Bausch and Lomb.
That is all I remember right now. I blame the bad memory function on that wiki page. But I remember a lot of his post about going to Asia for his scope contract with the Marines.

My father got a couple contracts with the marines. The XM70 is the only one with internet exposure now. He was proud of the constant recoil over 6 shots he got.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=511_1347383868

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
ChrisF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]
Clark is that a B78? BTW, I think you're supposed to shred those files, not shoot them...and BBTW, I think you shot your chrono too! It looks like it keeled over!

I think it's a truism that "human intervention decreases entropy"...but the real question is whether pulling the string or pulling my finger will get the bullet back on course?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That 2500 feet and a clear day, the sky is too black for that chrono to trip. So I point it at something white, and it trips.

If I were to design a chronograph, I would do it magnetically, not with opto diodes.

If I were to design the power supply in this computer, I would make a forward converter with FETs, not a 1980s style half bridge with bipolars.

But then everything would cost more.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Hey guys,

Glad to see this topic is getting traction here.

Remember, the objective at this point is to determine, experimentally, IF group convergence happens as claimed. If it does, THEN we can have long discussions about how it happens. Typically, the internet discussions put the cart before the horse and there are many discussions/arguments about how it happens with little effort spent to determine IF it really happens in the first place.

That's the intent of the Applied Ballistics Shoot Thru Target Challenge.

If extensive live fire testing shows that group convergence isn't really happening, then we can have far more productive discussions about what really IS happening, and how to address it.

Please spread the word about this challenge to anyone you know that believes in converging groups. The shoot thru target will either convert them, or demonstrate the phenomena to be real. Either result would be progress from where we are now.

Thanks guys,
-Bryan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ChrisF
BTW, I think you're supposed to shred those files, not shoot them...

Shooting is the proper method here.

Lest one could be labeled a shredophile.

I admit to squeezing a few triggers of a few guns at LR in my day. I have never, ever, ever, had a rifle that shot tighter groups further away. Ever.

To be honest, the mere thought of it makes no sense and I would immediately call BS when hearing of such a report.

That said, I used to be an avid reader of anything Gale McMillan I could find. He didn't guess at stuff much. Needless to say, I find his post to be, at the very least, thought provoking.

However, and forgive me if I did not do a thorough enough job reading this thread, I'm assuming that nobody has ever actually been able to PROVE the bullet path to be anything but directly lineal?

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
However, and forgive me if I did not do a thorough enough job reading this thread, I'm assuming that nobody has ever actually been able to PROVE the bullet path to be anything but directly lineal?

No, it's never been proven/demonstrated. That's what the 'challenge' is about.

It's commonly reported that a shooter/rifle will generate smaller MOA groups at longer ranges; HOWEVER, the true cause has never been discovered. Some people believe the bullets actually fly that way, others believe optics, or statistical chance is the cause. The intent of the shoot thru target is to discover if bullets actually fly that way. So far, based on dozens of groups fired from .224 thru .408 cal, they haven't.

-Bryan

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Mr Litz,

Off topic...

Have not tried your tall target test yet due to limited time. But I soon will be. Great application of ivory tower math to real world stuff. Glad to see you posting here.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by rosco1
The parallax Phenomenon..

I have always thought this to be the answer to tiny groups at 300 but so so at 100. Improper adjustments of the parallax. My good friend espouses the bullet going to sleep idea, (gyroscopic procession???) but I don't buy it.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Now that there is a way to test, I oh so wish I still had the uppers that did this.

A shame but will be 9 years more until I"d hvae time and resources to play with it again.

Now would be PERFECT timing.

Its so obvious on paper, but there also never was anyone that could answer why.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Robert_White
Originally Posted by rosco1
The parallax Phenomenon..

I have always thought this to be the answer to tiny groups at 300 but so so at 100. Improper adjustments of the parallax. My good friend espouses the bullet going to sleep idea, (gyroscopic procession???) but I don't buy it.

I"ve never asked, but is parallax present in irons, thats all we ever shot in competition....

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 51 invisible), 2,229 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,606
Posts18,454,857
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.