Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Quote:
Once again, each of those groups is an independent event.

Doesn't that describe the way those making the claim shoot their groups?

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bear in mind, witness accounts are not entirely reliable. Speak to the police who have to interview witnesses after an accident or crime, and each witness's account will be different and conflict with the evidence from someone else. The trouble is that we interpret things and that affects what we "store" away in our memories.

I don't know why you would think that scenario has even a remote resemblence to several people watching someone shoot, and then verifying the results by viewing the targets

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm

You can see that the trajectories intersect at around 325yds, so the MOA would be less here than at 100 or even 200yards - it looks like the accuracy is increasing.

[Linked Image]

The trajectories intersect because you're using a 325 yard zero in your ballistics calculator, and the calculation adjusts angle of departure to line up with that zero, regardless of the velocity or other parameters.

Try the same thing but use a near zero (like 50 yards) instead of the far zero, the results will be quite different, and more accurate (although still not perfect).

Last edited by Yondering; 01/18/15.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yon--good post.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Snyper,

Yes, I believe in the cases I've heard about, velocity spread was likely (ex-military ammo or ready rolled of less than best consistency). The article I posted mentions it.

We don't have expert witnesses otherwise this issue would have been solved some time ago. I believe we have people making assumptions based on observations, myself included. Human nature to fill in the blanks of understanding.

Yondering,

The base load of 2800fps is zeroed at 100yards. I adjusted the departure angle to give +/- half an inch at 100yards (overall "group" or dispersion of 1MOA) for the 2700 and 2900 loads. They don't all exactly intersect at 325yards - I was suprised how close they came with my rough assumptions and calcs (one intersection at 310yds, another at 340yds and the last at 370yds):

http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy237/mauserand9mmagain/trajectories/250to400_zpsd6bdd5ba.jpg

Last edited by mauserand9mm; 01/18/15.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I went back in this thread and discovered the following:

rcamuglia already mentioned the effects of velocity on trajectory and departure angles on page 3 (as I rediscovered for myself)

ChrisF included exerpts from a publication for the same on page 5

BryanLitz mentioned the existance of bullet spiralling on page 7, and that is extremely minor (0.1 x caliber).

Last edited by mauserand9mm; 01/18/15.

Well?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We don't have expert witnesses otherwise this issue would have been solved some time ago.

I believe we have people making assumptions based on observations, myself included.

Human nature to fill in the blanks of understanding.

We dont need "expert witnesses"

All we need is for one or more of those who say they own these "magic rifles" to fire them with witnesses that can say they saw them fire smaller groups at long range than the gun could fire at close range.

Then they can let someone else run the same test with the same rifle to make sure it wasn't flawed

This doesn't require a lot of calculations and charts

It requires simple proof by doing it in front of a crowd

And yet not one has taken the opportunity to prove it to the world

And no one will

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I believe the velocity difference is what is causing the increase in MOA accuracy (but only at a specific range and then MOA accuracy increases again as the range increases).

And I'm actually with you on this, if someone says they use consistent loads and experience an increase in MOA accuracy at any range, then I really doubt this is true, and, like you said, they'll never be able to prove it.

Compensating barrel vibrations will only increase accuracy, with the normal drop-off as the range increases. The key is you need velocity variation to cause the trajectories to cross over and get the reducing MOA accuracy effect (but only at a specific distance).

It was an interesting myth to explore, but it's gone the way of bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster. Technology and science always kill off the unusual.

Edit: And I should add to those that claim to have witnessed consistent increasing MOA, I'm not calling you liers, just misinterpreting the observations. Like I've tried to imply earlier, if we are not prepared, we are poor witnesses. Nothing shameful about that.

Last edited by mauserand9mm; 01/19/15.

Well?
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

The base load of 2800fps is zeroed at 100yards. I adjusted the departure angle to give +/- half an inch at 100yards (overall "group" or dispersion of 1MOA) for the 2700 and 2900 loads. They don't all exactly intersect at 325yards - I was suprised how close they came with my rough assumptions and calcs (one intersection at 310yds, another at 340yds and the last at 370yds):

http://i795.photobucket.com/albums/yy237/mauserand9mmagain/trajectories/250to400_zpsd6bdd5ba.jpg

OK, that makes more sense, thanks.

If you include the [IMG/] codes in your image links, the pictures show up without having to click a link. (That's what I did in my post above with your link.) Photobucket does that for you if you use the IMG link.

Last edited by Yondering; 01/19/15.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Dylxy3zJc

Mutilated projectiles with spiralling and erratic trajectories.

Well?
IC B3

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

150 members (450yukon, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 24 invisible), 2,611 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,645
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.