Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
ChrisF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Brian Litz, ballistics expert is looking for folks that can help him document this phenomenon
First, some background:
There's a common discussion topic based on the observation that some rifles seem to shoot smaller angular groups at longer ranges, for example, 1 inch groups at 100 yards, and also 1 inch groups at 200 yards. This could also be expressed as 1 MOA at 100, and 1/2 MOA at 200. I'll refer to this as non-liner dispersion, which is anytime a rifle groups smaller MOA at farther range.

We have a logical dilemma: "we haven't observed non-linear dispersion in any of the testing that we've done, but we still can't claim with certainty that it doesn't happen because we haven't tested every possible rifle and combination". There are still many shooters swearing they see it on a regular basis.

It's disappointing that we haven't reached a more decisive conclusion, but I'm not giving up yet. So what's the next step? Well, certainly it must be something dramatic, and involve live fire! So here it is.

The Applied Ballistics 'Shoot Thru Target' Challange
I'm inviting any shooter who has a rifle which exhibits non-linear dispersion to the Applied Ballistics Laboratory in Michigan to demonstrate the effect. I'll pay your travel and hotel stay (If you successfully demonstrate the effect, I'll even pay your *return* travel as well ) The objective is to produce a repeatable example of this phenomena so it can be studied and hopefully we can learn what's going on.

This is a friendly challenge with the objective of learning. As much fun as it is to discuss all the theories online, I'd really like to actually solve this one.

Any takers?

-Bryan

Read about it here;
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/applied-ballistics-shoot-thru-target-challenge-144359/

GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
This happens to me from time to time.

When it does, the difference always lies with the shooter.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The parallax Phenomenon..

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I could see it happening if a scope had a parallax problem at 100 but was parallax corrected for 200 yds.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
1. Parallax.

2. Disturbance of bullet by release of gas at the instant of bullet boat tail exiting the crown. This is exacerbated by long bullets with long boat tails typically used in long range shooting and "magnum" cartridges that generate very high pressure at the muzzle as the bullet exits. Basically the release of extremely high pressure gas precursing around the long, barely stabilized projectile causes a bit of an "upset" to the gyroscopic stability in the first portion of the bullet flight.

Said another way; the bullet is getting smacked on the tail on the way out the door. Everything settles down once the bullet is out of the blast zone.

People have often referred to bullets "going to sleep" after a certain range....

I did not discover this nor have I collected the data that confirms. It was passed to me by a ballistician and bullet designer at a major ammunition company. I have experienced the phenomenon of less dispersion at further range many times.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tennessee
1. Parallax.

2. Disturbance of bullet by release of gas at the instant of bullet boat tail exiting the crown. This is exacerbated by long bullets with long boat tails typically used in long range shooting and "magnum" cartridges that generate very high pressure at the muzzle as the bullet exits. Basically the release of extremely high pressure gas precursing around the long, barely stabilized projectile causes a bit of an "upset" to the gyroscopic stability in the first portion of the bullet flight.

Said another way; the bullet is getting smacked on the tail on the way out the door. Everything settles down once the bullet is out of the blast zone.

People have often referred to bullets "going to sleep" after a certain range....

I did not discover this nor have I collected the data that confirms. It was passed to me by a ballistician and bullet designer at a major ammunition company. I have experienced the phenomenon of less dispersion at further range many times.

Boddington has seen it,written on it. He pointed to #2 above as a cause as well.

Google "yaw", "precession", "angle of repose"and "nutation" as related to bullets in flight. (think I got those words right smile I was reading about it last night.

Those things (bullets) ain't always flying perfectly straight and nose on all the time smile

If it's a parallax issue another scope would solve it right? Do iron sights and target apertures have parallax?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
As Bryan Litz points out, the phenomenon of bullets "going to sleep" doesn't explain how they somehow land closer to point-of-aim further downrange.

I'll be very interested in whether anybody takes him up on his offer of a free trip to his test-lab with such a rifle. It appears several people who've posted on this thread own one.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I'll be very interested in whether anybody takes him up on his offer of a free trip to his test-lab with such a rifle. It appears several people who've posted on this thread own one.

Physics, it aint for everyone...
It would take a bullet that has eyes...

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The reason that I am skeptical about this is that in order for this to happen, the bullets that get pushed a little too far right would somehow halve to know to make a slight left turn when they settle down, the bullets that went left would have to know to turn right, the bullets that got pushed too low would have to somehow turn up, and so on.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep.

Bullets aren't like Thermos bottles that "know" how to keep cold stuff cold and hot stuff hot.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

ChrisF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Some of the explanations floated so far such as statistics (a rifle will shoot some small groups and some larger groups, and it's likely you'll see some smaller groups when you shoot far, and some larger groups when you shoot close), parallax, and aiming error due to target size.

All these would be eliminated by Litz' test setup which would measure the path of the same bullets as they cross the short line, then continue on to print at the long line.

If you have some time on your hand, read the original thread (link in the original post here). I found it a good read.
C'mon folks, if you have such a rifle, you would be contributing to expanding the understanding of exterior ballistics...(and as Mule Deer had mentioned, would score a trip to spend time on the range with one of today's true ballistics experts)

Last edited by ChrisF; 12/07/14.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Except that it is a physical impossibility. How people don't just take about 30 seconds and think about the thing is amazing. Once a bullet or anything has been launched at a certain angular deviation, it can't correct itself and become a smaller angular deviation. There are a multitude of reasons why people believe that they see groups getting smaller at longer ranges, but it isn't because the bullet "goes to sleep".

I've worked at a place with the same targets that Bryan is talking about. Of course just a bit of critical thinking would reveal that there is no way for a bullet to have 2 MOA say of angular deviation at 100 yards, but magically have 1 MOA deviation at 300 yards, but using those target systems and shooting through several of them simultaneously reveals of course that groups can only get larger as distance increases, not smaller.

ChrisF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The term entropy comes to mind.

Over the years, I've participated in many discussions about this phenomenon. The only credible bit of evidence that came up in support of the phenomenon was a posting by Gale McMillan on the old usenet recguns forum, which I believe was archived on yarchives. Mac described observing just such an effect while testing the 50 cal Sniper Rifles he produced for the military. I've searched high and low for that old posting recently, and can't find it now. Maybe someone with stronger Google-Fu than I will unearth that gem.

I forgot to add that there's another credible explanation for the effect manifesting in the vertical plane only called Positive Compensation.

BTW, I proposed acoustic targets when the Oeler's became available on the consumer market, but I think he's using old fashioned paper for the midrange.

Last edited by ChrisF; 12/07/14.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Tennessee

You best drive your happy ass to Michigan!

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What if the blast at the muzzle is not upsetting the stability of the bullet or its angle of dispersion but is just nudging the stable bullet off line slightly?

A perfectly straight launched bullet nudged over/up/down .001" would cause some of the "MOA shrinkage" at longer range. Something like that could cause a .75MOA group at 100 to go on to be a .5MOA at 300. Once the bullet is out of the blast zone there is no other force but wind and air pressure to act on it.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have no idea.

I'm lucky just to feed mine the right ammo.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
jrh Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Chris,

Gale's post is at the bottom: Bullet helical flight path

Reading that prompted me to dig out my copy of Dr. Mann's book, where he performed the exact experiment as described by Litz. The results are as expected - linear - but the measured distances were short (100 & 175yds) and the number of tests small. Personally, I'd be listening to Gale McMillan on this kinda stuff.

Sure do miss recguns. The quantity and quality of info passed around from the likes of Bart Bobbit, Gale McMillan, etc. was just incredible.

John

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
ChrisF,

I suspect (but don't know) the reason Bryan's using paper targets is a lot of people wouldn't believe acoustic targets. Results from an Oehler 43 would be regarded much like posts on the Campfire that don't include "pitchers."

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am, again, amazed that the entire shooting industry hasn't tapped the Campfire as a resource. There are more confirmed ballistical anomalies and shooter expertize here than most magazines and books put together.

Aside from all that shared knowledge, I have managed to take stock rifles that don't print tiny groups and don't have fast twist, and still hit stuff. Color me skeptical...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Except that it is a physical impossibility. How people don't just take about 30 seconds and think about the thing is amazing. Once a bullet or anything has been launched at a certain angular deviation, it can't correct itself and become a smaller angular deviation. There are a multitude of reasons why people believe that they see groups getting smaller at longer ranges, but it isn't because the bullet "goes to sleep".

I've worked at a place with the same targets that Bryan is talking about. Of course just a bit of critical thinking would reveal that there is no way for a bullet to have 2 MOA say of angular deviation at 100 yards, but magically have 1 MOA deviation at 300 yards, but using those target systems and shooting through several of them simultaneously reveals of course that groups can only get larger as distance increases, not smaller.

Of course I don't know squat, and ain't much of a top notch shooter, but I can certainly tell you that without a doubt, the worked up 600-1000 yard load in my ARs with 90 jlks, will not group worth a flip at 300 yards. It wins matches at 600 and beyond. It looses matches at 300. So much so that I had to start carrying my 75 amax ammo to some matches that would cancel the full 600 yard stage if not enough folks were around, and shoot 300 yard reduced.... I did that a few times, and once in bad wind thinking the 90s would win the match for me due to really bad winds.... They did not. I changed ammo after about 5 shots.

I can say this, the ammo appears to basically hold a bit over MOA at 300, and very much so sub moa down to around .5 MOA repeatable over the course of many rounds and a many years of shooting this ammo. At least 5 years of shooting almost year round.

RE parallax... unless we had it with iron sights I can't blame it on that.

My theory has always been, not totally stable. Of course when working on 600 yard ammo, I started at 600... was suprised the first time I used it in a 300 yard match that it sucked really badly.

I have seen this same ammo many years before in a slightly faster twist, IE 6.5/7 twists the 7 would net you just the tiniest oblong hole at 100... but then I realized you are wasting your time developing loads at 100, when you are going to shoot them at 600, and promptly set up a 600 yard bench at my house.

While I have no "scientific" answer to this, I can tell you without a doubt to my eyes it exists.

And I could care less why, I just learned quickly where to use what ammo.

Paper has always been the final answer for me, though I"d include acoustical, but its about results, not what it "should" or should not do or calculate out to...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 58 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,638
Posts18,455,306
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.