-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am looking for a No.1 in 460 S&W. Anyone have one for sale or know where one may found.
Thanking you in advance for the help.

Thom

To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will. Ronald Regan.

NRA Life Member, US Army Veteran

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
That's a hot commodity in Southern Michigan with the new "limited firearms deer zone" regulation. If that's your intended use for it, it's easier to buy a .45-70, trim the cases to 1.8" and seat the bullets out.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by tmitch
That's a hot commodity in Southern Michigan with the new "limited firearms deer zone" regulation. If that's your intended use for it, it's easier to buy a .45-70, trim the cases to 1.8" and seat the bullets out.

Yes, that is my intended use. I do have a couple of 45/70 lever actions and a Ruger #1 45/70. I do reload both cast lead bullets and Hornady 300gr JHP for them.
Trimming the case to 1.8 from 2.095" doesn't leave a lot of the case to hold the bullet. My seating depth on the 300gr JHP is 2.525".
Have you loaded any 45/70 cases trimmed to 1.8"? Is there any creeping of the bullet with the shortened case, any change in accuracy or point of impact? Any information you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks.
Thom

To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will. Ronald Regan.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
The 2 cases on the left are 1.8" with Speer 400gr fp and 350gr fp seated to the same OAL as the factory Remington 405gr on the right. There's plenty of case to hold them and case capacity isn't reduced. 300gr bullets probably wouldn't be long enough to get the same OAL length but the Hornady 325gr FTX is longer than all of them and would probably work great, although I haven't tried them yet. I loaded these for use in my Ruger #1 and they also fed fine through my Marlin 1895, but since they're not crimped I don't use them in it. You could probably crimp them with a Lee factory crimp die, but it might have to be modified for the short case.
I've heard this is a popular loading method in Indiana, whose rifle regulations were the model for Michigan.

[Linked Image]

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B2

C
ctw Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Wondering if someone should ask the dnr about the legality of such a case after all the rifle could still fire full size 45-70 cases. I would think if the fish cop wanted to give you a hard time this would be an invitation?

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
C
ctw Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Went to the web sight and it really was not any clearer
What in the world is the talk about compressed air?
Rifles in the Limited Firearm Deer Zone
Centerfire or rimfire rifles may be used Dec. 1 � Nov. 9 in the Limited Firearm Deer
Zone (see pg. 12) during the open season for all species, except deer, turkey,
and migratory game birds. Certain rifles capable of using .35 caliber or larger
ammunition, with a straight-walled cartridge that has a minimum case length of
1.16 and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches and a .35 caliber or larger air rifle
or pistol charged only from an external high compression power source (external
hand pump, air tank, or air compressor), may be used in the Limited Firearm Deer
Zone when taking deer.
Hunting and trapping are exclusive rights of landowners bordering the waterway
Rifles in the Limited Firearm Deer Zone
Centerfire or rimfire rifles may be used Dec. 1 � Nov. 9 in the Limited Firearm Deer
Zone (see pg. 12) during the open season for all species, except deer, turkey,
and migratory game birds. Certain rifles capable of using .35 caliber or larger
ammunition, with a straight-walled cartridge that has a minimum case length of
1.16 and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches and a .35 caliber or larger air rifle
or pistol charged only from an external high compression power source (external
hand pump, air tank, or air compressor), may be used in the Limited Firearm Deer
Zone when taking deer.

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
This is what the MI DNR Hunting and Trapping digest says:

Legal firearms are as follows:
� A shotgun may have a smooth or rifled barrel and may be of any gauge.
� A muzzleloading rifle or black powder handgun must be loaded with black powder or a commercially manufactured black powder substitute.
� A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multiple-shot but cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine combined.
� A .35 caliber or larger rifle loaded with straight-walled cartridges with a minimum case length of 1.16 inches and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches.
� A .35 caliber or larger air rifle or pistol charged only from an external
high-compression power source, or a muzzle-loading rifle.

Along those same lines it's legal to use a Savage muzzleloader if it's loaded with a BP sub, even though it's capable of using smokeless. I think if a "fish cop" wants to give you a hard time they seldom need an invitation, however it would be a good idea to run it by your area warden if you're unsure about it.

Whoops, I see you posted the same regs as I was typing. There are several compressed air guns capable of taking deer. Benjamin sells a .35 cal. rifle and others go up to .50 cal.

Charter Member

szihn

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by tmitch
The 2 cases on the left are 1.8" with Speer 400gr fp and 350gr fp seated to the same OAL as the factory Remington 405gr on the right. There's plenty of case to hold them and case capacity isn't reduced. 300gr bullets probably wouldn't be long enough to get the same OAL length but the Hornady 325gr FTX is longer than all of them and would probably work great, although I haven't tried them yet. I loaded these for use in my Ruger #1 and they also fed fine through my Marlin 1895, but since they're not crimped I don't use them in it. You could probably crimp them with a Lee factory crimp die, but it might have to be modified for the short case.
I've heard this is a popular loading method in Indiana, whose rifle regulations were the model for Michigan.

[Linked Image]

tmitch,
Thanks for posting the pictures and the reloading information. How is the accuracy on the shortened cases fired in both your rifles?
Thom

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I haven't really done any testing for accuracy. I did it mainly just to see IF it were feasible and only shortened & loaded 10 cases. In my #1 they worked fine and accuracy was acceptable enough to where I wouldn't hesitate to use them on deer. I only ran one round through the Marlin to see if it would feed from the magazine and eject the shortened case. I didn't pursue it much further, I had too many other things going on this year. Maybe I'll take it up again next year. I think the 325gr FTX would be a good one to try.

Charter Member

szihn

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The Michigan law is half-assed written by a bunch of pencil pushers that don't know jack squat about guns. Ohio did it right by naming cartridges. The CO's here are not going to have dial calipers with them. I know many guys who load a few short dummy rounds to leave in their pocket, then use real ammo in their blind.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Guys,

I actually sent an email to the DNR asking them if a shortened case could be used in a rifle chambered for something that would exceed the 1.8". The response I got back was, "yes, as long as the case length doesn't exceed the maximum". I printed and laminated their email response and now carry it in my pack, even though I haven't seen a DNR officer where I hunt in the 15+ years I've been hunting.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

618 members (1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,308
Posts18,449,130
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.