Print Thread
Hop To
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Anyone used one of these? If so, what do you think and how does it compare to chronos with screens?

Thanks

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have tried one, and a couple of friends have them. They work very well.

However, I eventually decided it wasn't the best for my purposes, but would work very well for most handloaders, especially those who shoot mostly at public ranges, since it doesn't need to be set up well in front of the bench.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thank, John. It just sounds like a really convenient way to check velocity for those of us who don't spend a whole lot of time (or any?) at the loading bench.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's expensive. But it works well for the way I use a chrono.

Much more convenient that the hassle of screens.

But if you like to collect velocity data as you shot for groups, it's probably not for you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Apparently, others have had better luck with theirs - and I'm not finished with it yet - but I have trouble with the velcro'd strap/ screw attachment to the barrel. I have a hard time getting it tight to the barrel so that I don't have to readjust and fiddle with it after every shot.

The concept seems very good however.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's pretty common, and a friend didn't check is often enough and bullet ticked the chronograph, which meant it needed repairing.

But apparently there's a stand available for sitting it on the bench, which also eliminates the problem of not being able to test for accuracy at the same time as chronographing. But it has to be positioned precisely or it will miss shots, like some cheap light screen chronographs.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Which is why it would be nice if the LabRadar became available (if it works as advertised).

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Wouldn't work for me as it changes the POI when installed. It might be fine for a quick check of velocity. The chrono I use works just fine.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've been using one now for a couple years. I got rid of my Oehler, didnt work here for me as the lighting was always a problem. If its any less accurate, I'm unable to detect it. Some have found point of impact shifts, but I haven't experienced that either. I carry mine with me when training LE, it's the handiest of all I've used for that. I usually mount right on the suppressor, the strap seems to take the heat without problems.
Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

.... not being able to test for accuracy at the same time as chronographing. But it has to be positioned precisely or it will miss shots, like some cheap light screen chronographs.

This is the reason that I have not had any serious interest in this unit. The way I typically do the load development I use both the speed and holes in the paper.

Be Safe,

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

RevMike, I wanted to get back to you here on the V3. Today I went out to work with a 223 AI and a CZ 204 and was determined to work with the Magneto and "make it work." Above I mentioned not getting a tight grip to the barrel and the recoil from the most diminutive of cartridges moving it about. Well, I today I found I was not getting the screw tight enough - there was a rough spot that made me think I had it as tight as could be - after tightening the strap to the max; this allowed the shifting about.

After this was sorted out it worked perfectly with these two rifles. And it seemed very snug. Obviously, not much recoil was involved. I didn't notice a significant shift in POI on or off either.

There is no doubt not having to deal with screens, and highly variable ambient light are good things. Right now I feel much better about it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Gasman
Which is why it would be nice if the LabRadar became available (if it works as advertised).

Anxiously awaiting that myself.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have a V2 model, and for my needs it is a great machine. I even used it by shooting into ditch. Didn't need to shoot horizontally on a range. No need for backstop. It makes for a quick and dirty way to check velocity fast.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I shoot for groups and if like what i'm getting will chrono them. Screens can be a problem at a public range. Overall I like my MS V2.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Magneto Speed will prepare a bench top model if you ask. They did for me. You'll have to build the base DIY. Mine turned out great and works equally great. As Mr. Sisk replied, I got rid of my Oehler 35P...P for pain the butt.

[Linked Image]

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

RevMike, I wanted to get back to you here on the V3. Today I went out to work with a 223 AI and a CZ 204 and was determined to work with the Magneto and "make it work." Above I mentioned not getting a tight grip to the barrel and the recoil from the most diminutive of cartridges moving it about. Well, I today I found I was not getting the screw tight enough - there was a rough spot that made me think I had it as tight as could be - after tightening the strap to the max; this allowed the shifting about.

After this was sorted out it worked perfectly with these two rifles. And it seemed very snug. Obviously, not much recoil was involved. I didn't notice a significant shift in POI on or off either.

There is no doubt not having to deal with screens, and highly variable ambient light are good things. Right now I feel much better about it.

I appreciate that update. Thanks!

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Good to know! Thanks.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My first test of my V-3 was 257 Roberts with nosler 100 bt over 36.0 4064.

Nosler book shows 2940 with a 24" bbl.

I got exactly 2900 out of a 22" bbl.
Seems pretty close to me.
It did seem to push my groups up and right an inch or so,but since I know the speed,I feel better.
My range is right outside my back door,I don't mind using a few speed check loads and taking the thing off for shooting groups.
Mike

Last edited by mikeone; 12/07/14.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Magneto Speed will prepare a bench top model if you ask. They did for me. You'll have to build the base DIY. Mine turned out great and works equally great. As Mr. Sisk replied, I got rid of my Oehler 35P...P for pain the butt.

[Linked Image]

Interesting! That setup would be especially nice now that I shoot at American Shooting Center (moved from Pearland/PSC to Katy a little over a year ago and really miss PSC - other than we can shoot to 600 at ASC).

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (222Sako, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,467
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.