Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just a future heads up for anyone with an early to mid 2000 Polaris Sportsman (non efi) if/when your machine won't start.

I recently parked my 700 Sportsman after mounting a winch/plow.

Week or so later went to start it up and nothing. Didn't think much of it as it hadn't been ran in a couple of years very much. Week or so later gave it a shot of carb cleaner. Nothing.

Pulled a plug and soon found out I didn't have any spark. Came in a googled it and apparently the factory cdi & stator (Ducati parts) are known to go bad. The recommended replacement parts were 480.00 plus three hours of labor if you knew what you're doing. (Wonderful)

Starting poking around and came across RM Stator, converts the system from AC to DC and was 250.00

Got the parts earlier this week, chit directions and I tried to contact them without any luck. I was wondering what electrical wires to tap into, but figured it out.

Got the install complete and it popped right off, probably started easier than it has in years from a cold start.

Hopefully it holds up. A lot better option than digging into the engine.

http://www.rmstator.com/

Life is just one damned thing after another
GB2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I did this to my 03 700 this spring. This machine has cured me on buying another POS Polaris ever again.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I guess I got lucky............

I have a 2006 Polaris 500 HO, and it's fuel injected.
[Linked Image]

I have worked mine like a rented mule. I'll put three full 55 gallon barrels of corn in the back of a trailer, then put my Polaris in 4 wheel low and go straight up a goat path.

[Linked Image]

After almost 8 years of abuse I finally tore the back A-arm apart. Never had it not start or perform. Gonna replace the front A-arms at the end of the season. Notice the left front has got some slack.

I'm as happy with mine as a pig in slop.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wonder how long I can make it last?

JAPMF,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have hauled much more weight than that with my 03 700. Its not a question of capability but one of component quality. For instance. Mine is on its third wiring harness, mine has also had the update discussed above because almost all of these machines ignitions go bad. The base gasket has failed on my bike twice, which is another very common problem. And really I could on and on.

cal74 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Mines an '03 I bought new in '04, first 4-5 years I rode it pretty hard but only have a 1000 miles on it.

Replaced the boots on the back axles and that's about it up until now, but I thought it was ridiculous that the ignition would go out like this. I think of some places I've had it back by myself and if this would have happened then I would have been screwed.

Then I think of the guys that aren't capable of doing the work themselves that don't have the money and get a 700-1000.00 bill from a shop.

Knock on wood I've always had pretty good luck with vehicles and I'm capable of doing 95% of my own work on them but in the last month I've had an injector go out on my Cummins on my elk trip. 750 bucks, the four-wheeler - 250 bucks, my car I had a bearing go out - 300 bucks.

Gotta start staying home and not even start anything up.

Life is just one damned thing after another
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 76 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.