24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was talking about in the can, open or not.

Depending on the weather, I usually pull a load after a few days, just in case. Better to sacrifice a bullet than miss a shot.

As I said before, 777 shoots great, and I hit the crud ring with a brush or damp patch every few shots (number 11 ignition). I just can't trust it for very long. So for now, my plan is BH209 in the Knight, and FFG (maybe Old Eynsford) in the Greyhawk and the .45 Hawken, if I decide to keep it.

Last edited by Pappy348; 12/09/14.

What fresh Hell is this?
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Prewar70
So I have a load of BH209 in my new Rem Ultimate and I won't be hunting again until this coming weekend. Being new to the ML scene, is there any harm in leaving it loaded? of course I did remove the brass/primer from the chamber.

Thx

It just becomes a glorified storage container, and even with black powder, there are examples where guns have fired after decades of storage.

For safety, your factory ramrod should have grooves to mark and note at the muzzle face, when the gun is loaded and when the gun is empty. More than one person forgot they left a gun loaded, and then later added a second charge.

For short term performance during the hunting season, be aware of condensation. Having a gun outside in freezing temps, and then suddenly bringing the gun inside to warm temps, will condense the moisture within the air and have your gun looking like it took a dunk in the tub. Going back and forth like this can foul your charge with collected moisture. Though it has a top shelf breech and ignition system for sealing the charge, you still have an open fire channel with the case removed. Not sure if it would be wise to have a visibly marked dummy case to seal the breech when the gun is cased. Otherwise, it would not be as open as a caplock nipple, or a flintlock touch hole, but it would be open to collect moisture if ignition case were removed.

If the gun was kept cased in fairly consistent temps, then you should be okay, just monitor the gun for moisture. If the gun is seeing a huge temp swing, and you are seeing moisture collecting on the gun, then I'd probably play it safe and use a fresh charge the next hunting trip. It the gun is new to you, then I'd take advantage of the old load by firing on a target to test performance and practice. Then you will better learn the gun and can confirm or disporve any moisture issues.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My 777 FFF is eleven years old. No clumps in the jug and I'm taking it in the woods this weekend.

What is your issue with old 777 loose? Are you keeping it dry? Are you transporting the entire jug every time you leave home?

Just curious what your issues are and what do you consider 'old' 777?.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
777 has a reputation for going bad and causing accuracy problems and in particular with pellets. I ran into this with 777 pellets that were a couple of years old. They were in the original boxes, kept inside my house, in a climate controlled environment with no exposure to excessive heat, cold, or humidity.

I wasn't getting the same consistent accuracy with the old pellets so I bought some new ones. Problem solved.

Loose 777 powder stored in the original container might not have the same issues but I don't know. I switched to loose BH209 and haven't any issues with "old" powder.

FWIW, I've never read a reasonable explanation why old 777 causes accuracy problems. It could be absorbing moisture, the solvents evaporating, or a chemical breakdown over time. I dunno.

Last edited by fish head; 12/10/14.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
777 loose should remain in a different moisture / aging discussion than pellets. My FFF works fine after 10-11 years of little or no use (per range work yesterday).

It's how you store it that matters-most. Must be kept tight-lid in a cool, dry place. I cannot use/trust pellets, having five MLs, all but (1) are sidehammers. Plus, I favor FFF powders over FF.

Last edited by Triple_Se7en; 12/11/14.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had some 3F at least as old as yours, maybe a little older. It clumped. The 2F looked okay, but hung fire badly. It was a couple years old.

Both lots were kept in the original containers in the same place I keep all my other powder. I always keep powder tightly sealed in the original container, and have never had an issue with anything else.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BTW, if anyone uses those little condom-looking thingies to seal the muzzle of their guns against rain, Amazon sells them for about $5 a gross. Search "finger protectors". They even come in different sizes.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
On this last hunt I had mine loaded all the from Friday night to Sunday the following weekend (8 DAYS) and took it out in the morning (anywhere from 0-20 F) and brought it back in the trailer at night (65 F) every day.

Anyway I didn't get a chance at one so I shot the load out of it on that Sunday before leaving camp and it went boom. I was wondering if the sweat might interfere with the load but she fired great, accuracy on the other hand, well I didn't hit the can and didn't go see where it hit.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hodgdon told me that 777 powder was 10 times more likely to draw moisture then pyrodex.

my triumph with blackhorn stays in my truck loaded for weeks at a time loaded. i've not had any problems.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hodgdon told me that 777 powder was 10 times more likely to draw moisture then pyrodex.

my triumph with blackhorn stays in my truck loaded for weeks at a time loaded. i've not had any problems.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Took you guys advice. Kept the triple 7 fresh protected cap and muzzle from rain. Last hour of season in the rain filled tag. The 460 grain no excuses 50 cal in front of 90 grains flag blew a hole as big as the sky! Once again thanks.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
120 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 16 invisible), 1,802 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,684
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.