-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It isn't that dumb of a question when you consider all the guys that believe fast twist kills faster...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Wait a minute..I just heard something zing by my head...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
JLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by JLF
So if I'm bowhunting...should I be converting all of my arrows with straight-fletched vanes to helical to make them spin faster...and a very radical helical at that?

Which begs the question. Does a right helical kill faster than a left helical? Or does it matter which direction the animal is facing?

Sorry, I couldn't resist

Due to the aforementioned coriolis effect, your helical fletched arrows need to be twisted right north of the equator, and twisted left, south of the equator.

Jeez...do we have to explain everything...?

Try to keep up.

Ingwe, thanks for appreciating my attempt at humor. That is priceless! Gonna have to remember that. Too funny

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If one was to use enough speed and twist to generate ubermega-rpm's, could a mono-metal projectile of pin-grabber design grip an animal's hide upon impact, prior to expansion, and effectively turn said critter inside out as it passed through the animal? Think of the time saved from field dressing....

[Linked Image]

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I'd pay good money for a bullet that would stop at skinning a deer.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bobnob17
This thread is hilarious.

I agree.......lotsa guessing. smile

Of course the bullet continues to spin after it contacts stuff.

Geeeezzz.... crazy

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by rembo
If we assume that rotational velocity (spin) decreases at the same rate as flight velocity the bullet won't be spinning much when it contacts game , depending on range of course. And I'll bet it slows to nothing when it expands...a bullet is not a good flywheel. It's mass is not far from the center.

See if you can find any ballistic gel tests showing spiral lines in the cavity.

Checkout the multiple rotations the bullet makes as it passes through a 16" length of ballistic gelletin.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/videos/308_180gr_TSX_6fps_logo.mov

I'd love to see a video comparing a couple blocks of gelatin. One shot with an 8" twist 223 and the other with a 12".....bullets being shot from the same box of ammo.....

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder what effect rifle torque has on ability of the general shooting population to hit well? (Faster twist means more torque.)

(That is the reason all those ghetto guys are seen with the guns held sideways- that's simply the left hand torque of guns which have right hand twist that causes that. wink )

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You've almost got me convinced. I too would like to see that comparison.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
True story. A guy in the shop today was buying two Glock 19's. He was holding one in each hand -- sideways. Looked him straight in the eye and told him if I saw him doing that again I wouldn't let anybody punch his paperwork in the system.

He chuckled and put them both back on the counter...

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by rembo
See if you can find any ballistic gel tests showing spiral lines in the cavity.

[Linked Image]

What do I win?

Nothin

Sh1t, I'd never believed it if I hadnt seen this.

its got me thinkin'

280 grain 7mm........4" twist ?

the Texas heart shot might work out well

it'll twist the guts up in a knot and you reach in with a pair of long nose pliers, grab the bullet and yank it all out with a quick left hand twist,assuming a rh twist rifle fired the bullet....:-)

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
That's not entirely true, as the way I understand it with lightly jacketed varmint bullets, the added twist is essentially stressing them a bit more, causing quicker upset when they strike flesh.

I've seen the fast twist help provide more "lift" when striking small game while shooting slow and fast twist rifles of the same cartridge side by side, in such rounds as the 223, 223 AI, 220 Swift, and 243.

I'm just not convinced it really shows up on big game. "Lost in the noise" as it were.

I gotta agree with this. I've shot prairie dogs with .223s, using the same ammo out of both 9twist and 12 twist barrels, and it seemed that the 9 twisted guns splatted the rats more, and there was more rotation in the parts d:^). The old Savages spun the rats more than the Howa did. Of course, the rats died regardless of the twist rate or cartridge, they just died harder with the faster rated pipes. All in good fun, of course.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jwp475

The title of this thread should be "Fast Twist = More Terminal Damage". Take the same bullet same load same velocity from a 7 twist against a 14 twist and the difference is apparent.

Exactly....it helps expand the bullet.Expanding bullets cause trauma. Trauma is what kills. Nothing mysterious.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

"Should I do the ghetto lean?

And maybe a crotch grab?"

TFF!

Of course, whenever possible, I also prefer to shoot "urbanite" style and hold the rifle sideways....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Until someone shoots a live deer standing in an MRI Scanner(if they can scan that fast), all we can do is basically guess - or look at very limited data.

After a bullet's expanded, it would seem logical that the petals work like cutting edges, spinning like a saw blade. Assuming again the bullet goes more or less straight through the animal, more revolutions = a greater length of cut inside the animal. The more big blood vessels that are cut by the bullet's passing, the quicker it dies.

As far as launching a varmint, I shot a cottontail once with a .25-06 (before I realized they were good to eat blush ). It was a 120gr factory load, out of a 1 in 10" barrel. I recover from the recoil, look up, and see a patch of fur reaching the apex of its flight, about 15 or 20 feet in the air. My buddy said, Gawd dayummmm smile We walked up and about half the bunny had simply vanished.

'sploding critters are highly non-linear

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

'sploding critters are highly non-linear

Only 'cause you mist. laugh

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

580 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 64 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,300
Posts18,449,017
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.