Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
You could go with my favorite combo--blued receiver so it will show honest wear and bead blasted stainless barrel. With the H&H action, you may want to rechamber to .340 so it will recoil harder ; )

eek laugh All of my rifles show honest wear. I want this one to be different grin . I want to actually be able to use this one and not worry so much about it.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pre6422hornet
Looking good BSA. Can't wait to see the finished project.

So which daughter isn't going to Europe now? smile

They are both going in 2016. cry. Had to sell a couple of my favorite rifles to make it possible. They will be working and saving as well..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by keystoneben
Looks like you'll be busy for a bit. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

Thanks Ben. I'm hoping/thinking it will turn out pretty good. Fingers crossed...

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
BSA....very cool project. I had an action just like that one. Originally a .300 H&H that somebody had punched out to Weatherby and ringed the barrel a couple inches from the muzzle. It was in a home made Weatherby style stock...truly hideous. The very best thing about it was the price, $275.00 in 1976. I traded the stock off for something and traded the tube off for something else and the action made several moves in our gypsy years. Finally in '87 I had a guy put it together.....Brown fiberglass stock and Lilja tube in .338 Win Mag. The only other rifle I had at the time was a 10.5 lb. '06, but only one scope between them. I used my .338 exclusively for 10 years and owned it for 20. It was inspired by reading lots of Keith, Hagel, and Bob Bell. Bell had 2 .338 rifles. His 2nd was on a pre '64 model 70, stainless tube, and glass stock. Black spray paint to take the shine off the barrel. grin

Yours is much nicer and more sophisticated. Can't wait to see the finished product!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dave, thanks for the story. I appreciate your positive thoughts regarding this project. I'm hoping I don't disappoint you guys and this thing turns out exactly as I'm picturing it... There's been a lot of good advice so far.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't stop laughing. I would of just bought a kimber anyhow thanks for a good chuckle...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This pre 64 is a better rifle.. You'll learn that one of these days. Thanks for the laugh on this end too laugh grin whistle If I would have wanted a Kimber, I would have bought it. I actually enjoy working on my rifles. wink Just part of being a rifle loony..

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
This pre 64 is a better rifle.. You'll learn that one of these days. Thanks for the laugh on this end too laugh grin whistle If I would have wanted a Kimber, I would have bought it. I actually enjoy working on my rifles. wink Just part of being a rifle loony..

So what they can sit in a safe cause you cringe when the weather gets a little bad lol I have 7 stainless model 70 I will drag the worse [bleep] Alaska has to offer while your pretty pre 64 will sit in a safe lol you guys are a hoot. I'm sure this one will be fine for that horrendous oregon weather. Bsa still love you like a brother one day you will see the light.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm betting more rifles have been damaged in Oregon weather than Colorado's.

LOL
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A pre '64 model 70 is unique in how it feels when you run the bolt. Nothing wrong with a Kimber, but between the two, I'd take the pre '64.

IC B3

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This pre 64 is a better rifle...

That's the way I see it, too. smile Nothing wrong with your choice of actions. Though you could have bought one of those rifles with the molded metal parts. whistle

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I'm betting more rifles have been damaged in Oregon weather than Colorado's.

Lol beats me I haven't hunted here bud. My last 5 1/2 yrs was spent in Alaska hunting.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa: Nice project!

Friends and I built 3-4 pre 64 338's about like yours back in the 80's using Brown Precision stocks and Krieger tubes.Weight was about the same.

I would drill the scope base holes out to 8/40's.. I had seen these rifles chew though the standard screws and snap one off now and then with enough shooting.The 8/40's stood up to the pounding.

My pre 64 270 got hunted yesterday in a nor'easter....it's fine. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

So what they can sit in a safe cause you cringe when the weather gets a little bad lol I have 7 stainless model 70 I will drag the worse [bleep] Alaska has to offer while your pretty pre 64 will sit in a safe lol you guys are a hoot. I'm sure this one will be fine for that horrendous oregon weather. Bsa still love you like a brother one day you will see the light.

79s, you are a great guy sometimes grin. I know you like the stainless classics and they are great rifles, but I'm a pre 64 lover to the bone. I just love how they cycle, feed and eject and they have always been extremely accurate. They also go up in value as they sit in the safe too. Just something to think about.. wink

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
bsa: Nice project!

Friends and I built 3-4 pre 64 338's about like yours back in the 80's using Brown Precision stocks and Krieger tubes.Weight was about the same.

I would drill the scope base holes out to 8/40's.. I had seen these rifles chew though the standard screws and snap one off now and then with enough shooting.The 8/40's stood up to the pounding.

My pre 64 270 got hunted yesterday in a nor'easter....it's fine. smile

Thanks for the advice Bob. You are probably right. However, I think I will leave it as is unless I have problems with it. I also plan on running some Talley lightweights and a Zeiss diavari 3-9x36 or Swarovski 3-9x36. Still haven't made up my mind on that one. Then again, don't be surprised if I end up putting a Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex on it... blush

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

79s, you are a great guy sometimes grin. I know you like the stainless classics and they are great rifles, but I'm a pre 64 lover to the bone. I just love how they cycle, feed and eject and they have always been extremely accurate. They also go up in value as they sit in the safe too. Just something to think about.. wink

Nope I will stick to the classics... grin oh and I'm
A great guy all the time.

Last edited by 79S; 12/10/14.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
[quote=bsa1917hunterThanks Scotty. I like how that one looks. I'll ask my cerakote guy if he has done that before. The color I'm wanting to go with on the rifle is graphite black with extra hardner for a glossier finish (although we know it won't be a gloss finish)..[/quote]

Every color of Cerrakote can be done in Matte, Satin or Gloss, just as you mentioned, depending on the amount of hardener applied. I believe that rifle pictured is a Satin finish. I did matte on an old Model 70 of mine in graphite black.. It looks like a piece of charcoal but it is certainly as described!

Good luck with the project.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Is the barrel a McGowan stamp?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I wish I knew????????? crazy

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, I met with my cerakote guy today. He showed me a midnight blue rifle (he did for a guy) and we compared it to the graphite black and I've decided to go with the midnight blue. I like the color and more glossy appearance better. I messed around with one of my Tupperware stocks yesterday and decided on a color I'll do myself on the Bansner (High tech specialties). Here's what the bansner should look like when I'm done: Upper rifle. Except it will have the same style of recoil pad as the lower rifle:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Can't wait to see how the mignight blue turns out on this rifle. Should be top notch, but we'll see. I sent the money yesterday, for the scope of my dreams grin whistle. Never had a Swarovski before, but it should work out nicely. I didn't want to be too top heavy since this stock is so light. The Talley lightweigh's will also help in that regard.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
752 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 78 invisible), 2,943 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,413
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.