Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
This won't apply to your current project but have you ever considered melonite coating? I built a 280 ak for a guy in Alaska and I don't know a harder man on a rifle the him. He is an avid sheep hunter and packs his rifle miles and miles. The coating is holding up really well. You can also use the fancy coatings ove melonite. The sako I did for myself is unbelievably slick and a mod 70 would be also.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've heard melonite coating is very durable. I need to talk to my cerakote guy and see if he's consider doing some of these other processes. Thanks for the suggestion.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That midnight blue is going to be badass!!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Midnight blue is real nice. It's probably my favorite.

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
bsa: Nice project!

Friends and I built 3-4 pre 64 338's about like yours back in the 80's using Brown Precision stocks and Krieger tubes.Weight was about the same.

I would drill the scope base holes out to 8/40's.. I had seen these rifles chew though the standard screws and snap one off now and then with enough shooting.The 8/40's stood up to the pounding.

My pre 64 270 got hunted yesterday in a nor'easter....it's fine. smile

Thanks for the advice Bob. You are probably right. However, I think I will leave it as is unless I have problems with it. I also plan on running some Talley lightweights and a Zeiss diavari 3-9x36 or Swarovski 3-9x36. Still haven't made up my mind on that one. Then again, don't be surprised if I end up putting a Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex on it... blush

BSA, where are you planning on picking up the Zeiss Diavari 3-9x36?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Local dirt. I ended up buying the Swaro from Davidlea. He's away, so I'm doing the waiting game. Red pachmayr decelerator looks great. I just finished my stock paint tonight and I just picked up the rifle from my cerakote guy. The rifle looks damn good and the bolt jeweling is second to none. This guy really out did himself!!! I like the midnight blue cerakote too. I also glass bed the rifle before I had it cerakoted. Bought some Talley lightweights from ebay and have those now. My camera is crappy and gone, so after Christmas I'll have some good pictures (with new camera) of the complete rifle. Hopefully I have the scope before then whistle .

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Looking forward to seeing it when you have it assembled. I think I'll go lightweight Talleys on my next bolt rifle.
Bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad to hear it's progressing nicely, BSA! I'm looking forward to the pics!! Happy holidays!

Eric

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What a great project, I really like it! I had a long conversation with Adam Weatherby at an NRA convention about the then new at the time, stainless Weatherby Mark V's. He swore that for purely taking abuse in horrific conditions, the old Weatherby Alaskans had it all over the new stainless steel models. These were essentially coated with electroless nickel. The same as Metaloy, Armaloy, and the other electroless nickel coating purveyors. This stuff is super slick, and supposedly more rust resistant than stainless steel. If I were trying to weather proof a blued rifle, that is the route I would strongly consider.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Geesh, now you tell me laugh. Just kidding. I had it in my head that I wanted to give my cerakote guy some more work since the last ones he did for me came out perfect. I couldn't wait for my new camera and took some pre pictures with my Garmin 550 Oregon GPS. Hope you guys like it. Sorry in advance for the chit poor photos: Garmin GPS sick :

Let me start off by saying it is a heavy sob pre 64 yada yada yada.... At least it's bedded right laugh.... Always start with a good "foundation":
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Recoil pad didn't turn out as good as I had hoped. I'll do the next one, as I was looking for perfection and my smith disappointed me here: He let his trainee do it mad
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I did the paint job on the stock. Good plastic/synthetic clear primer and then brown rustoleum and stone texture paint:
[Linked Image]

No problem mounting the Talleys:
[Linked Image]

Take a look at my cerakote guys bolt jeweling work. I really like it!!:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/DSC00132_zpsf880d3d8.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/DSC00133_zpse300e0cf.jpg[/img]

Still waiting on the Swaro whistle I'll have some better pictures after X-mas wink I can't wait to take this thing out elk hunting next year!!

BSA MAGA
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
That cerakote looks really good!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks buddy. The pictures suck, so it's really hard to get the full effect. He did a superb job on the midnight blue cerakote. I'm pretty happy with it...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That turned out really very nice, congratulations on a job well done! I am very impressed with the paint jobs you do on those tupperware stocks. They look like a much classier and more expensive stock after you do your magic on them. I would love to see an easy tutorial on stock painting for the unhandy types such as myself-lol.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for the compliment ULA. This is a bansner, so it doesn't really qualify as a "Tupperware" stock grin . However, I have been known to glass bed and paint tupperwares grin

BSA MAGA
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The photos are very good. Is that stone-flecked paint as rough as it appears? Looks grippy like sandpaper!

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks pal, I get a new camera for x-mas. As for the stock: I wanted it real grippy as the wet weather here where I hunt is a real PITA during elk season. I packed around a similar rifle last year and decided I hated the slick paint job High tech specialties applied. It was a shame because I really like the ergos of the Bansner stock. I think it's one of Brad's favorites as well, probably because it is very similar to the Montana's factory stock. Like ULA mentioned earlier about the tupperwares I've painted, my hunting rifles have this same type of paint scheme and texture. It's not really too bad like sandpaper though because I go over the rustoleum stone texture paint with the brown rustoleum and then lightly mist more texture over that. It makes for a real nice grip that also doesn't rub your face raw when you shoot it. Here are the tupperwares that ULA mentioned:

Stainless classic 7mm rem mag:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sniper grey cerakoted classic sporter 30-06:
[Linked Image]

I hunt these rifles so I like them grippy to a certain extent grin. Again, sorry for the GPS photos, I'll have some better ones (and hopefully my new Swaro) after x-mas..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Work looks real nice, we usually have just the opposite weather here in NM. Except for this years archery elk season. I had rain of some fashion, from light mist to rain of biblical proportion, on 7 of my 8 days hunting! looking forward to seeing the finished product all scoped up and ready to go.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks Razz. I also look forward to getting and trying out the Swaro that I bought from davidlea. The package should weight right at 7 3/4 pounds. I'm hoping that's not too light for a 338 elk killin machine grin . I'll know after the first 3 shots. I'm also hoping the scope doesn't fly off. I'll know then that I should have listened to Bob's advice about going to 8-40 screws on the scope mounts. We'll see grin

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thanks for the compliment ULA. This is a bansner, so it doesn't really qualify as a "Tupperware" stock grin . However, I have been known to glass bed and paint tupperwares grin

Sorry about that mistake. I have seen the bedding and paint jobs you do on some tupperware stocks, it is very impressive. I have tried painting tupperware stocks, and they still look like painted tupperware stocks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks awesome, BSA! The cerakote turned out well, and the bolt jeweling is sweet! You put together a real sharp rifle!!

Eric

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

676 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 160user, 67 invisible), 3,438 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,426
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.