Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks buddy. Happy holidays to you too. Hope you are having a great time with your family. My new Swaro is supposed to ship out tomorrow. Hopefully this rifle shoots as good as my more original 338 Alaskan. I'll keep you posted one way or the other. I might have to start a thread to see how much that rifle is worth: IE: buddy to buddy sale.... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice looking rifle .. Hope it shoots for you as well...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
What exact product/brand are you using for the plastic primer underneath?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good question. I've used the dupli color clear primer on the Tupperware stocks with great success, so I figured I'd try it on this Bansner. It helps the paint stick to the plastic stocks better. It sprays on clear and fills very well. When it drys, you can't tell it has the primer on it. I also use a small heated room for my paint booth. This helps tremendously in the winter time. I'm getting anxious to get my new camera and Swarovski scope so I can show you guys what this thing really looks like...I was actually thinking of you (DakotaDeer) on this rifle because you've been talking about light pre 64's for a while. Albeit, this isn't a super lightweight like a Kimber montana it sure holds it's own against, say, a new Extreme weather model 70 and the likes. It should top the scales at 7 3/4 pounds all up when done. It will be pretty light (probably lighter than I really want it) for a 338...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thanks buddy. Happy holidays to you too. Hope you are having a great time with your family. My new Swaro is supposed to ship out tomorrow. Hopefully this rifle shoots as good as my more original 338 Alaskan. I'll keep you posted one way or the other. I might have to start a thread to see how much that rifle is worth: IE: buddy to buddy sale.... wink

Thanks, BSA. It's great to be back home for the holidays! You're going to have a killer setup once the Swaro is installed. Keep me posted bud! Happy holidays to you and your family! smile

Eric

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks Eric.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
BSA--I want the light pre-64, but I'll let you shoot the one in 338! I have worked extensively with a 6.3 pound bare Win70 in 30-06, and that's about all I think I could stand for "fun."

I'm working toward a light Classic FWT 243 now, so the pre64 idea is sort of on hold.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Featherweight .30-06 weighs 7.2 lbs without the scope.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is real clear I need another project or two. I'm having project envy, great stuff as always BSA1917!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
BSA--I want the light pre-64, but I'll let you shoot the one in 338! I have worked extensively with a 6.3 pound bare Win70 in 30-06, and that's about all I think I could stand for "fun."

I'm working toward a light Classic FWT 243 now, so the pre64 idea is sort of on hold.

grin... We've been trying to tell you. I'll let you guys know how much this one hurts the shoulder sick. I'm hoping the ergos of the bansner helps to absorb a lot of the recoil. Like I've said before, the last time I had my 338 Alaskan out I fired 40 rounds thru it off the bench. I also fired 40 7mm rem mag and 35 rounds of 30-06 (fwt) that day. My fwt's weigh in the neighborhood of 7 3/4 pounds all up and they are very manageable, but we know the 338 is a kicker. Let's just hope it doesn't pound my azz into the dirt shocked. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for the comments guys...

BSA MAGA
IC B3

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
...I'm hoping the ergos of the bansner helps to absorb a lot of the recoil...

whistle

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The Bansner stock is an excellent stock and very comfortable for shooting. It's very similar to the Kimber Montana factory stock in design. When I had my classic sporter 30-06 in one it was great shooting off the bench.

[Linked Image]

I think it will be quite manageable. Again, we'll see. Wish me luck Pal laugh

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Outstanding looking piece..... cool

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Just mounted the Swaro. I like the glass, now I need a good camera. I'll shoot the ol girl after X-mas wink. Hopefully it shoots as good as my Alaskan... smile

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey guys, I snuck my X-mas present out from under the tree. Don't tell my wife. Here are a little better pictures than my dang garmin GPS grin. Hope all you Winchester loving ol guys have a merry Christmas and a happy new year.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0023_zps9439641f.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0015_zpsb5e5ce71.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0011_zps03bddd70.jpg[/img]

Bought this on sunday the 7th of December and it's complete today. Weighs a hair less than 8 pounds all up right now and it should work out great for next years elk hunt. Feels damn good and well balanced and I really like the glass. I'm hoping it shoots well. We'll see after Christmas.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Very cool! Who did the cerakote?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A good guy by the name of Jeremy Smith. He lives 12 miles from me, so it's very convenient to use his services. He works in Hood River as a machinist and does the cerakote as a side business. He also did the bolt jeweling. He's done a few rifles for me now and I'm extremely happy with his work. I was hoping you would like this one. It really reminds me of my 270 fwt that has the McMillan on it that I bought from you. I was kind of trying to go with that scheme with this rifle.

BSA MAGA
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice Christmas present for you.

Merry Christmas.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
One of my favorite threads. I love all of your Winchesters but especially this one. I too am looking to build a model 70 like this for elk hunting. I basically destroyed my featherweight 30-06 this year Elk hunting. It got soaked for a week straight and damn near gave me a heart attack worrying about it. Time to get a synthetic stock and a paint job.

Could you expand a little more on how you paint your stocks, they look friggn great! I have a factory tupperware stock that is going to get painted. Also, does your cerakote guy accept work from guys out of state? I've had some really really crappy jobs done here in town.

Last edited by STS45; 12/24/14.

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Very nice. Hard not to like how it came out.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,664
Posts18,455,763
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.