Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
HE112 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
My Central Texas Cabelas is along drive for me, but was in the neighborhood yesterday, had some purchase credit to use for merchandise. Remembered that they once carried RWS pellets, stopped to pick up a tin of flat heads. Was surprised to see that they now only have Gamo brand, and the cheap Chinese stuff on the shelves and online. I stick with quality pellets like the German made stuff these days, as Gamo and the Chinese stuff does not shoot well in my guns. Tried to get some .22 RF ammo as well, not even that was available. Even looked at a spare magazine for my Glock 19, nope. Practically no reloading powder as well.

Ended up using my purchase credit for a bottle of gun oil, that was all that huge place had for me to walk out with as even their clothes and food court are over priced. I know that recently one of the founding Cabela brothers died, perhaps that is why the place is not what it used to be. Don't know when I will be back to Cabelas, could be a very long time.

Last edited by HE112; 11/25/14.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Who buys anything at Cabelas. I thought it was just a neat place to go and look at stuff...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I find a loose running, snot nosed orphan in the toy rifle shootin' arcade area and take him up to the info desk for a bunch of free tokens.........
Then we split them 50-50 and I bone up on my shootin' skills.......
I also claim the orphans portion of free play on my donations on my tax form.
Win/Win.

I make money going to Cabelas.

P.S. The Cabelas Bros. sold out long ago........it's a public company.

Have Dog

Will Travel

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Every time I go to Cabela's to cash in points they have nothing that I went there to buy. It's a 2 hour drive one way so I quit going unless I can hitch a ride with someone.
Back in the good old days they offered $40 during Club events just for walking in the door...then $20...now zip.

Just made me remember a bad experience there. I stood close to one of the large taxidermy displays placed in front of a mural on a concave wall. I stared into the "distance" for a minute or two and was instantly sick when I looked away. Way worse than any seasickness I have ever had. You can't pay me enough to even glance at them now.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Be happy you have a Cabelas and not a Bass Pro. The worthlessness of that place is epic...

IC B2

H
HE112 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I have never been to a Bass Pro store, they have one in other cities of Texas just did not have the time to stop by. Heard it was like Cabelas.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CBB15
Be happy you have a Cabelas and not a Bass Pro. The worthlessness of that place is epic...

Spot on deduction right there..

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

truth bump

220 Swift still king.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Swift

truth bump

And another. Jibes with my experience as well.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
H
HE112 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I guess I would be wasting my time to visit a Bass Pro Shop. I saw their catalog once and photos of the main floor, nothing too exciting.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Funny about the BPS comments. They built one in town that I drive by every day on the way to and from work. I've yet to find a reason to walk through the store, based on what I've seen in their catalogs.

Cabella's on the other hand, I cant seem to leave there without a couple cases of primers and reloading dies. Nice to find a place that has things in stock, well except handgun powders.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Everytime I have been in Cabelas in Gonzales,La it was a waste of time. Nothing for the reloader.

Jimbob
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T

Be happy you have a Bass Pro and not a Gander Mountain.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by sweetsues
Everytime I have been in Cabelas in Gonzales,La it was a waste of time. Nothing for the reloader.

Sorta hit and miss.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty much a powder shortage everywhere, not just unique to Cabelas. My local store seems to have some on hand, just not what I need.

.22 ammo pretty regular now in small batches that goes quickly,even with a limit.

Last edited by Wacenturion; 01/11/15.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Amazon has a good selection, along with Pyramyd Air, of course.

I joined Amazon Prime last year and have saved literally hundreds on shipping.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem

Spot on deduction right there..

Yep, and yet both outgun Gander Mountain to an astounding degree.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Can't complain. Last year stocked up on primers, bullets and powder via mail order before NYS shuts that down. Also was just able to BO 250-3000 Brass which I used $20 worth of Cabella's points on. My local Dick's sure is named right though.

Walk slow, get down, hurry up and be quiet.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tracy

Be happy you have a Bass Pro and not a Gander Mountain.

We have Sportsman's Warehouse - fits right in with the descriptions of the other big boxes. They came in, ran off all the small (Good) sporting goods stores and now have a monopoly. They offer very little and mostly just the junk that turns over quickly. Can't remember the last time I bought something there that was actually a good buy. At least Cabelas has the Bargain Cave, used guns and a nice catalog.

Last edited by centershot; 02/17/15.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Gander Mountain was better before they went retail store only

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
115 members (338reddog, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,440 guests, and 715 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.