Print Thread
Hop To
C
clattin Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
After some close calls this fall with his crossbow, my son Jack got it done on the second day of rifle season in Kansas last week!

I put together a "youth" rifle for him this fall that worked perfectly! I had a "safe queen", which was a VZ-24 Mauser that was chambered in 7mm-08 and in a heavy, laminate thumbhole stock. I found a never-fired Shilen barrel in .243 that was already threaded for a 98 Mauser here on the Fire for $100. I picked up a synthetic stock from Numrich for $45. When I cut the stock down to the proper LOP, I got real lucky. Instead of having to create a "filler" at the back of the stock to attach the recoil pad, there were two ribs running the length of the butt at the top and bottom of the stock in which I could screw the recoil pad into. I topped the gun with a Leupold VX-2 in 3-9x40 (also bought on the Fire).

I picked up some Hornady Reduced Recoil loads and he shot it beautifully at 100 yds!

Opening morning, we had a pretty 7 pointer bedded down at about 80 yds from us but were blocked from a clear shot. I kept telling him to be patient and that the buck would stand up and move and we'd get a clear shot. He got up several times but then laid back down. He finally got up and then dropped down in the creek bottom, so he never got a shot.

The next morning, we saw a deer step out into the field edge at about 250 yds. I saw that it was a buck and he was slowly moving his way toward us. At 212 yds, I hit the grunt tube a couple of times and he started trotting toward us. Even though he was quartering to us at about 100 yds, I told Jack to go ahead and hit him. The buck was turning into some thick cover and I felt it was a better option to take the shoulder shot than let him get into thick cover. The buck dropped right in his steps! Jack was thrilled to say the least! He's a typical 4 on his right side with a long spike on his left. A perfect "cull" buck, but to me and Jack, he's a trophy!

One of the proudest moments was immediately after shooting the deer, Jack turned to me and said "should I put the gun back on safe?" I was so proud that even though he was excited about shooting his first deer, he still had his senses about him and was thinking about gun safety.

About 2 hours later, he was with me when I shot my buck. He was thrilled that we both shot deer together on the same day and he saw me harvest mine as well!

Chris

Jack's First Deer (sorry for the gut pile in the back!)
[Linked Image]

Jack's 100 yd First Group (Lower 3) and Second Group (Upper 3) after adjustment
[Linked Image]

Blood Initiated!!!
[Linked Image]

Dad's Buck
[Linked Image]

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for" Will Rogers
GB1

C
clattin Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Here's the bedded buck from opening morning.....

[Linked Image]

And a pic of the buck Jack shot right before he shot him. Sorry for the poor quality. The auto focus wasn't working properly and I switched to manual but wanted to be quick so I could help Jack.

[Linked Image]

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for" Will Rogers
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Good job and congrates to the young hunter.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like a great time! Thanks for sharing the photos and congrats to both of you.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You guys are a good one-two punch. Congrats.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great buck there Jack! Good shooting and hope you get many more.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Looks like the two of you make a great team! Congratulations to both of you and best wishes for many more memorable hunts together. That young man is going to make a great hunting partner!

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Looks like a great time. Congrats to you and the boy. Great memories for sure.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Congrats! Nothing better than hunting with your kids.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,098 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,339
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.