Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Anybody backpack hunt with contacts? My little girl got her hands on my glasses and broke them in half. Thinking of going with contacts, as hunting with glasses sucks. How does it work at night? Do you just leave them in? Any brands you recommend?

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Calvin, my bestest pard wears glasses, but only uses contacts when going snowmachining

in wet weather, or getting em steamed up glasses can suck as you well know. I've asked him why he didn't use his contacts to hunt.

and I'm sure he told me, but danged if I can remember his reasonings

oh well another "new" story to look forward to!

I'm telling you this getting old is a freakin blast

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I used to, you can get extended wear lenses that stay in for days. I stopped though, my hands take a beating on hunts and putting my fingertips in my eyes in the backcountry was not something I wanted to do. I'm sure others have no problem though.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've done it and slept in them in the past. These were extended wear. Bring some drops, stay hydrated, and things are good.

I've got an astigmatism that isn't noticeable at all with my corrected glasses but edges of things have just the slightest blur with the contacts. It's enough to bother me with bino's. If not for that I'd be contacts all the way, but I'd still have a pair of glasses along in the pack. I was hating the glasses last weekend at 50 degrees, pouring rain, and sweating heading up a mountainside.

Reminds me I need to check into contacts that will correct the astigmatism. Not sure if they are available in extended wear.

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
wow, just looked and they have 30 day extended wear contacts? I'll have to do some digging. Looks like I'll need a prescription for contacts to do the online thing. I have a prescription for regular glasses.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
I always wear contacts when hunting (especially archery) for whitetails....recall getting busted a few times in the past where I swear they saw the glare/reflection off my eyeglass lenses. I also find contacts to be a lot more binocular friendly. A downside to hunting with contacts is that it is easier to get whacked in the eye by a branch and injure an eye or lose a contact (always carry a spare). A friend who also wears contacts carries a lightweight pair of safety glasses in his pack for use when leaving the woods in the dark.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Calvin
Anybody backpack hunt with contacts? My little girl got her hands on my glasses and broke them in half. Thinking of going with contacts, as hunting with glasses sucks. How does it work at night? Do you just leave them in? Any brands you recommend?

I always take mine out every night. If its going to be a cold night I just put them in the case and then inside my sleeping bag so they don't freeze. I always brought along an extra pair of them just in case.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LASIK.

Best $3K I ever spent. Procedure done in 1999 and I am still close to 20/20.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wear them and have to take them out at night. It's a pain but if I leave them in it really bothers my eyes. I always bring a spare set and my glasses though. Mine are the 2 week extended wear and work well when I take them out. My vision with them is 20/10.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I happen to wear ClearVison 2. they are designed for monthly wear. I go a full month on mine. Never an issue.

Just my 2 cents.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
wow, just looked and they have 30 day extended wear contacts? I'll have to do some digging. Looks like I'll need a prescription for contacts to do the online thing. I have a prescription for regular glasses.

I wear the 30 day, leave them in versions & they work very well.

I don't wear them every day, but I especially like them for any activity where I need sunglasses or need to use binoculars.

Motorcycle riding & hunting see them used the most & actually my vision, except for reading, is better than with the glasses which have bifocals.

I've tried the contacts with bifocals & do not like them so I just carry a cheap pair of reading glasses for really close work in dim light............in bright sun, don't need them as much.

MM

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I wear contacts, and take them on backpack hunts. Mine are actually extended wear, but they bother me if I don't take them out each night. It's a pain when backpacking but it's the best solution I have, short of Lasik. I have observed that while glassing, my bino's or spotter fog up quite quickly from my eyes, and I wonder if the contacts are exacerbating that...

You will need a contact prescription. Once you find some that work well for you I'd stock up, as your prescription is only good for a year.

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Carl_Ross
I wear contacts, and take them on backpack hunts.

I do carry a small mirror in case I need to take mine out & put them back in...............

MM

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
LASIK.

Best $3K I ever spent. Procedure done in 1999 and I am still close to 20/20.
+100 on this. Had it done in 98 and have never looked back. Used to wear glasses and hated them. Wore the extended wear and kept drops in my eyes to keep them lubricated. You will have to have a prescription for the contacts as well as glasses. Look into LASIK, If you do it will be the best money you ever spent.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I use the Air Optix. They suggest you change them every week or so, but I have worn them many times for two weeks. I carry spares with drops and a mirror as well, just in case. I worried some about backpack hunting for one or two weeks at a time but have had zero issues. I had more trouble learning to put them in with my big fingers, good to go now.

Like the others mention, stay hydrated and use your drops.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I used to wear contacts and always had trouble with them. LASIK here too, about 5 years ago and wish I would have done it 10 years sooner.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I wore contacts on many hunts and just took them out at night. One night I heard noise out by my backpack and when I looked out, without my contacts, it was all a blur. I quickly tried to put on my contacts and there was slushy ice in the cases along with my contacts. I wiped away the slush and put them in my eyes, along with some slush I think, but there was nothing around outside, at least at that point. I had LASIK done a few months after that. It was time for new glasses and contacts and rather than spend $500 on them, I spent $3000 on Lasik surgery. In seven minutes under the LASIK machine my life improved dramatically. It was the best money I ever spent.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I went in and got updated lenses about a year ago.

Coopervision Biofinity?

They are sweet.

http://coopervision.com/contact-lenses/biofinity-family

Lasik sounds beyond sweet.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Until my wife had cataract surgery, she wore the extended wear contacts for years. She loved them. She'd have to use the eye wetting stuff several times a day but they never bothered her at night. One problem - I don't know if the wetting solution will freeze. You might have to sleep with it. I can't imagine squirting 33F stuff in my eyes.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Biofinity......30 days no sweat

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,704 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.