Print Thread
Hop To
B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I've been elk hunting one time. Couple of us camped out in national forest in Colorado. Never saw an elk. So, I'm starting to save up for next year. Where do I start? I don't want to pay all that money and get ripped off. Looking for help for a guy who has never been on a paid hunt before

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by blairvt
I've been elk hunting one time. Couple of us camped out in national forest in Colorado. Never saw an elk. So, I'm starting to save up for next year. Where do I start? I don't want to pay all that money and get ripped off. Looking for help for a guy who has never been on a paid hunt before

Well I just dealt with one booking agent, I initially contacted him early October for an ELk Hunt in Wyoming that would have been my younger brothers first Elk hunt. Have not heard back from the guy in almost 2 months. Needless to say he is not getting my business now or ever. I am sure you will get a response back from someone here and find a reputable outfitter. You can also PM CROY here he seems to have some connections.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Go to the CODOW site and look up Elk University. That is a good start for a second timer. Also, when you pick an area to hunt, make sure to go where others aren't going. That means being in shape to get three to five miles off the road, or rent horses. Scout every way you can, Google earth is a start, also the CODOW has great maps for free. Good luck.

B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm looking for a pay hunt, something that will get me where the elk are. This may be the only chance I get living in the East.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Hiring an outfitter does not guarantee an elk kill.

If you want to pay out more. Look at the Vermijo Ranch in NM or the Chama Land and Cattle CO in NM.

Pick up a copy of the "Bugle" magazine that the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation publishes and they have a list of the more reputable outfitters in every issue from all over the west and Canada.

I"d guess that the more reputable ones are already booked for next year.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Thats right. Ya lay your money down and enjoy the hunt. Can't do that; better to stay home.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by watch4bear

Thats right. Ya lay your money down and enjoy the hunt. Can't do that; better to stay home.

Not hiring a lousy outfitter will guarantee you see no elk, dinks or lots of blaze orange dots in the distance or dinks . I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend. There are private ranch hunts that IMHO are way overpriced that a Bull is guaranteed, there are lesser hunts where a smaller bull will be prevalent. Odds are also good on a Wilderness Packin Hunt but they are not cheap either for a good one.

Indian reservation hunts let me just say that I would rather go to Africa take my wife along and shoot 7 animals for the same price and I still end up with money in my pocket.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
P.M. sent

Hang on tight !
B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm not looking for somebody to tie an elk up for me, but I'm sure some guides are better than others

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by blairvt
I'm not looking for somebody to tie an elk up for me, but I'm sure some guides are better than others

+1 on that ...a nice bull is simply not worth it to me with what some of these private land hunts cost. I cannot justify it and I can darn well afford it .

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's how I did it.
First figure out what you want = fully guided, drop camp, DIY from a lodge, etc. Then look at web searches,state websites, magazines (ie Bugle), go to shows, etc for outfitters. Narrow that down to a list of 8-10 potential options. Once here I did a spreadsheet for a quick comparison (ie price, length of hunt, option for more days, lodging, private/public, etc). Call each one and drop the blowhards. Check references for the shortlist. Call remainder a few more times and get a feel for who you like.

Be in shape with good broken-in boots and able to shoot well from field positions. Have reasonable expectations for the time of year, weapon of choice, and type of hunt.

Just my $.02.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you want an outstanding outfitter that charges under $4,000 and you are willing to wait, go to www.jbarhoutfitters.com. She is booked for next year and is almost full for 2016. She has excellent guides and even though she hunts on public land, she get results. There were six of us in the cabins this year and we harvested six elk.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by ro1459
If you want an outstanding outfitter that charges under $4,000 and you are willing to wait, go to www.jbarhoutfitters.com. She is booked for next year and is almost full for 2016. She has excellent guides and even though she hunts on public land, she get results. There were six of us in the cabins this year and we harvested six elk.

I just saw Jeanne today at the CPW Commission meeting. I see her every year during ML season as I hunt just up the road. Great gal. I bought two mules from her this year and my big sorrel mule is now on her pack string.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

blairvt:

Sent you a PM.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks for everyone's suggestions, keep them coming.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Under 4k and very good. Have hunted with them three times and with good results.

www.centennialoutfitters.com

B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Is centennial archery only?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
No, I have only rifle hunted with them.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
GOOGLE, Fishtail Ranch in Northern New Mexico. You will not be ripped off in any way.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,660
Posts18,455,690
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.