Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9409602 12/10/14
R
rb77 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
has anyone herd how these new rifles shoot. am looking at one with a heavy barrel. should a person stay away or go for it

BP-B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
There were issues with the first run. Accuracy was often spotty and extraction was an issue. My son has an early gun and it has been flawless, but the ammo is a bit erratic. There have been split necks in some of the cases which usually caused fliers. I think Winchester needs to do a better job of annealing. From what I have heard, the heavy barreled guns shoot very well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only rifle currently available rifle is the Savage Bmag which a majority of the users say is a poor quality rifle. We will have more choices after the first of the year, including Valquartsen.

R
rb77 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
thanks guys this helps

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
A friend of the son has a savage b mag I don't really like the gun , but it does shoot pretty good

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The Savage bolt gun is really oogly, even for a Savage, and just looks cheap.

The Winny Low wall looks nice, as it should, considering the cost.

I'd wait until ammo is better distributed. If I just wanted to shoot, I'd get a Hummer.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
. . . We will have more choices after the first of the year, including Valquartsen.

Do tell . . . inquiring minds would like to know what's circulating in the rumor mill.

As previously state, the choices are slim at this point, with not much choice at all.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I think it's deader than a rolled-flat cat. Without some QUALITY midpriced rifles available, it's gonna die a gruesome death. I won't argue with anyone about Volquartsen quality, or Hi-Wall quality, the B-Mags have been horrible, if you bother to read rimfirecentral.

No decent quality midpriced rifles means a lot, too. Poor quality guns and spotty ammo quality means it doesn't stand much of a chance.
The idea is sweet, the practicality means it SHOULD fly well, but the applications have been nothing but a crapfest.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of the guys on my July PD safari had a heavy barrel BMag and a stash of 17WSM ammo. My understanding is that having both at the same time was quite an accomplishment. Any way, the dang thing shot very well and he was regularly smacking dawgs at pretty good distance in the wind. I think, IMHO, the 17HMR is a better critter gitter on the PD front and I wouldn't want either for 'yotes or whistle pigs.

I'm shoot4fun on Accurate Shooter Forum and you can see my feedback there.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never saw a need for the WSM when the 17 Hornet already exists...Maybe I'm missing something?

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by xverminator
Never saw a need for the WSM when the 17 Hornet already exists...Maybe I'm missing something?

X-VERMINATOR

As a reloader I agree with your thoughts but if you don't reload the WSM makes a lot of sense.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good point!

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I thought I read that somewhere out east you were limited to using a rimfire only, in this case alone the WSM would be worth it.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have a Bmag and most of the comments above are spot on.
It is UGLY and the feeding/magazine design is not very good.
Fairly accurate tho and a hell of a flat trajectory for a rifmire. I have a few boxes of ammo. The heavier
bullet shoots better for me. I think the cartridge might just
survive.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
In WV, we were limited to rimfires for night predator hunting until recently, when they legalized .22 centerfires. I have misgivings about that, but we'll see.

What they didn't do, and should have, is legalize T shot, like HeavyShot.

I read an article aabout the use of the new .17 on coyotes. It got the job done, but not quite to the satifaction of one of the testers. He thought it would be fine on foxes.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I spent a day this summer shooting prairie dogs with my brother-in-law's 17 WSM B Mag. It was a windy day. I LOVED the cartridge and hated the gun. If someone comes out with a decent heavy barreled bolt action in this caliber, I'll be first in line.
I don't reload and have plenty to choose from already but this caliber does fill a niche and does it well.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Claybirds
I thought I read that somewhere out east you were limited to using a rimfire only, in this case alone the WSM would be worth it.

Yes Connecticut State land is .22LR and 17HMR rimfire only. I doubt highly that the state will allow the 17WSM.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In rhode island, state land is rimfire .22 and smaller. So 22 wmr, and the .17 rim fires are allowed.

I love my 17 HMR, but would like to try out the WSM, if they came out with a better quality rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hornady is now making 17 wsm ammo.
You wouldnt think they would go down that road unless they know of some other rifle manufacturers getting on board.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have a B-mag in the shop right now that a buddy wanted me to glass bed. It suffered from the flyers from hell which is synonymous to this rifle. We'll see how the glass bedding works tomorrow..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
827 members (10gaugemag, 12308300, 1234, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 85 invisible), 3,248 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,195
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.