Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have an old (40-50 year old) Pre-Garcia Sako L61R Finnbear 270 that I hunt with and never plan on selling as it has a high sentimental factor because my dad gave it to me. I'm considering having Hill Country Rifles in New Braunfels do some work on it and wanted to know if you think it's worth it.

Things being considered:

Changing out the original fixed sling mounts for quick detach sling swivel mounts
New recoil pad
Refinish the stock with an oil finish
Black cerakoting the metal parts/barrel
Polish bolt to look new
Jewel bolt
Sharpen checkering

Essentially, I'm thinking I want the rifle to look new but also be very usable in the field as I hunt with it. I have attached a couple pictures and would appreciate your thoughts.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Best Regards,
MJS

BP-B6

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it's usable as is. If it shoots good, leave it alone.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't do anything with a classic piece like that.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
One thing I'll have to do regardless is get new sling stud swivels. The top one pulled out last night when I got home from a hunt. I could have the original put back in by a good smith but it would be nice to have quick detach for taking the sling off to put in the safe.

-MJS

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Oh yeah...one more thing I really need to do is replace the recoil pad is the original is cracked and crushed though it doesn't really show in the pics. So I need a new recoil pad (pachmyr red?) and quick detach sling swivels. The wood would probably look really good with an oil finish but I like the way it looks now too with all the character marks.

-MJS

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HCR does good work. I've used them mostly to accurize rifles and have had great results. How well does it shoot? If there are no issues there the rest should be a piece of cake. I personally would just get the sling mounts and recoil pad fixed, and leave the rest if it shoots well.

Eric

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
She shoots beautifully already....just took a nice buck and a bobcat over the last couple weeks.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
HCR can certainly do a good job for you. I you live near Dallas, I would take it to Patrick at Willoughby and McCabe. They are doing some really nice refinishing work with a fairly quick turn around.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
HCR has done several builds for me and all have exceeded my expectations. If you decide to do the work, you can't choose a better shop.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's a pet hunting rifle, not a museum piece. Refinish it, and continue to use it sir.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Leave it as is !

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Sounds like a great plan to me. I would proceed.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I would check with Kevin Weaver,I think his webbsite is weaverrifles.com.His webbsite shows some EXCELLANT WORK ON wooden rifle stocks.He has buit a couple of rifles for me and is EXCELLANT IN EVERY WAY POSSIBLE. Skeeter

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Why not Drop it in a mcwoody and go hunt with it? That way you can still keep he original stock with all the character and have no regrets later.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hamrick
Why not Drop it in a mcwoody and go hunt with it? That way you can still keep he original stock with all the character and have no regrets later.

Yep.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm no expert on Sakos, but I own quite a few. A sentimental rifle is hard to alter, I'd just replace the recoil pad "with original style" and put the best scope you can afford atop. Leave the rest as is until you burn the barrel out.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If the rifle is not used as is, it loses most of its sentimental value anyway.

Hunt the thing hard, and it'll still be going when you die. That's probably what your dad actually hoped for.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I vote for putting on detachable sling studs, a new pad, and continuing to enjoy your rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

If you want to rebuild something, get a Remington. Leave that rifle alone. Use and wear is not a bad thing. The gun isn't in the kind of condition that it would need to be treated so poorly.

You can rebuild a gun a thousand times, but it is only original once...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Sako studs are larger than standard, so the holes will have to be filled and re-drilled. Keep the old studs for posterity (and Shrapnel). They can always be re-installed.

If you check out one of the Sako collector sites, you may be able to come up with a like-new original pad, if the old one has gotten too hard to use. Even if it's cracked, if it's still soft, I'd just ride. The Forester I bought recently looks worse than yours and I'm just huntin' it.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,572 guests, and 773 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.