Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have an old (40-50 year old) Pre-Garcia Sako L61R Finnbear 270 that I hunt with and never plan on selling as it has a high sentimental factor because my dad gave it to me. I'm considering having Hill Country Rifles in New Braunfels do some work on it and wanted to know if you think it's worth it.

Things being considered:

Changing out the original fixed sling mounts for quick detach sling swivel mounts
New recoil pad
Refinish the stock with an oil finish
Black cerakoting the metal parts/barrel
Polish bolt to look new
Jewel bolt
Sharpen checkering

Essentially, I'm thinking I want the rifle to look new but also be very usable in the field as I hunt with it. I have attached a couple pictures and would appreciate your thoughts.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Best Regards,
MJS

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it's usable as is. If it shoots good, leave it alone.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't do anything with a classic piece like that.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
One thing I'll have to do regardless is get new sling stud swivels. The top one pulled out last night when I got home from a hunt. I could have the original put back in by a good smith but it would be nice to have quick detach for taking the sling off to put in the safe.

-MJS

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Oh yeah...one more thing I really need to do is replace the recoil pad is the original is cracked and crushed though it doesn't really show in the pics. So I need a new recoil pad (pachmyr red?) and quick detach sling swivels. The wood would probably look really good with an oil finish but I like the way it looks now too with all the character marks.

-MJS

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HCR does good work. I've used them mostly to accurize rifles and have had great results. How well does it shoot? If there are no issues there the rest should be a piece of cake. I personally would just get the sling mounts and recoil pad fixed, and leave the rest if it shoots well.

Eric

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
She shoots beautifully already....just took a nice buck and a bobcat over the last couple weeks.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
HCR can certainly do a good job for you. I you live near Dallas, I would take it to Patrick at Willoughby and McCabe. They are doing some really nice refinishing work with a fairly quick turn around.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
HCR has done several builds for me and all have exceeded my expectations. If you decide to do the work, you can't choose a better shop.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's a pet hunting rifle, not a museum piece. Refinish it, and continue to use it sir.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Leave it as is !

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Sounds like a great plan to me. I would proceed.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I would check with Kevin Weaver,I think his webbsite is weaverrifles.com.His webbsite shows some EXCELLANT WORK ON wooden rifle stocks.He has buit a couple of rifles for me and is EXCELLANT IN EVERY WAY POSSIBLE. Skeeter

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Why not Drop it in a mcwoody and go hunt with it? That way you can still keep he original stock with all the character and have no regrets later.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hamrick
Why not Drop it in a mcwoody and go hunt with it? That way you can still keep he original stock with all the character and have no regrets later.

Yep.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm no expert on Sakos, but I own quite a few. A sentimental rifle is hard to alter, I'd just replace the recoil pad "with original style" and put the best scope you can afford atop. Leave the rest as is until you burn the barrel out.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If the rifle is not used as is, it loses most of its sentimental value anyway.

Hunt the thing hard, and it'll still be going when you die. That's probably what your dad actually hoped for.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I vote for putting on detachable sling studs, a new pad, and continuing to enjoy your rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

If you want to rebuild something, get a Remington. Leave that rifle alone. Use and wear is not a bad thing. The gun isn't in the kind of condition that it would need to be treated so poorly.

You can rebuild a gun a thousand times, but it is only original once...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Sako studs are larger than standard, so the holes will have to be filled and re-drilled. Keep the old studs for posterity (and Shrapnel). They can always be re-installed.

If you check out one of the Sako collector sites, you may be able to come up with a like-new original pad, if the old one has gotten too hard to use. Even if it's cracked, if it's still soft, I'd just ride. The Forester I bought recently looks worse than yours and I'm just huntin' it.

What fresh Hell is this?
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Just got a harvester plus from HCR. Their work is outstanding, and I can't say enough about how well they do. But that being said, if my kid ever refinishes it after I'm gone I'll be haunting his a$$

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Aviator
Leave it as is !

Great idea. Why throw money away.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I usually regret doing things like that. I would leave it alone other than the pad if you need it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by model70man
I usually regret doing things like that. I would leave it alone other than the pad if you need it.

Yes, unless for LOP that particular brand and model in caliber listed does not need recoil pad, wonderful.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If something bugs you and you want to change it, then go ahead and change it if you want. I've modified brand new rifles right out of the box, even before shooting them.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If shrapnel sees this thread, we're gonna have problems.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
There were some original pads available awhile ago on the sakocollectors site. Other than the pad and swivel repair, I would leave the rifle alone.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Forester has an aftermarket pad fitted by a previous owner. It's a .243, so likely it had a hard buttplate when new. All I did to it was remove the white spacers and take it apart to clean it up good.

Really nice rifles; well worth seeking out as shooters. This one will probably go to my grandson when he comes of age or I go under.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel

If you want to rebuild something, get a Remington.
Your suggesting the 700 type rifle?

I thought you were experienced? smirk

Leave that rifle alone. Use and wear is not a bad thing. The gun isn't in the kind of condition that it would need to be treated so poorly.

You can rebuild a gun a thousand times, but it is only original once...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You gotta be $hittin' me.

Leave that rifle alone. Or give it to someone who appreciates it. I like a rifle with a little character......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I hunt with and never plan on selling as it has a high sentimental factor because my dad gave it to me.

In that case, I'd dial it in to suit me.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been surfin GB a lot lately looking for price comparisons and ran across a listing in BA's & SAKO that had original SAKO styled butt pads, but would need to be ground down for an exact fit. Don't remember the prices, but didn't seem too bad to put on the tired A III 270 I was looking at & had the typical crushed pad from being stored in a closet or vertical gun rack on the butt.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The OP has no choice on the sling swivel, if he wants to keep and use the stock. Those and the recoil pad are easy to replace and keep the originals for resale, if it comes to that. Not a big deal.

If it was my rig, I'd do what Hamrick suggested. Buy a stock to fit and mess with it to fit your needs and keep the original in the way back of the safe. That's what I've done with old rifles of sentimental value to preserve the original equipment. Also helps if plans change in the future and you or somebody else needs to sell it.

The old Finnbears that I've had the privilege to fondle had great fit, feel and balance. It is a beauty!

Only you can make the choice. Everybody has their own take on it. Go with what you want to do with your rifle.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I found a used McMillan Sako Classic for my L61R. Stuck the wood in the closet.

I'd look for a good smith that would do a nice custom stock for it to go along with the McMillan. Keep the original.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by watch4bear
I hunt with and never plan on selling as it has a high sentimental factor because my dad gave it to me.

In that case, I'd dial it in to suit me.

+2 ...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My Dad left me his 1950's model Colt Huntsman. He introduced me and my sons to shooting with that 22. Before he gave it to me, he had it refinished. I am proud to have it, but I wish he had left it alone. That finish wear was evidence of his life and times--my time with him--and his grandsons.
Fix the sling stud. Replace the recoil pad if you must. If the bolt is starting to rust--polish it. Don't make it something it is not. It is a 50 year old hunting rife from you Dad. You can't improve on that.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
If it was mine I'd fix the swivel, replace the pad and hunt it a bunch more. Looks to be in very nice shape, from the pics.

djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RickF
It's a pet hunting rifle, not a museum piece. Refinish it, and continue to use it sir.

Poor guy...by the end of this thread, he will have locked it away in the back of the safe, afraid to take it out and 'damage' the collector value.

I'm with Rick and Pat....fix the stuff that needs fixing, refinish what you like and keep on hunting.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
One of my fav rifles is one of those in 30/06 and also have one in 270 I wouldn't recomend a refinish as they are light wood with a stain. I tried it on a 579 and just couldn't get the stain to take..my 06 had a really bad pad so I changed it out for a little thicker one to get som more length.
If your rifle is well used keep using it.. My 270 is in a McMillan stock and is a dream to shoot and hunt with but I still use the wood stocked 06 much more.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
When put that way......you are probably right. There's a lot of great suggestions on here and I'm thinking the ones along this line might be best. After this deer season I will replace the recoil pad and put on detach sling studs (or the originals as one poster said new ones won't fit without being filled) and keep hunting it hard. Now....which recoil pad? Pachmyr?

I really don't care for plastic stocks, even the nice ones, and I'm not afraid to scratch the wood. I've been hunting with the rifle since I was a very young kid and it's been knocked on bunches of trees when being climbed and doors when getting into blinds. I like the way it looks and enjoy the character so I think everyone who said leave it alone is probably right. It's a great rifle I hope to pass on someday.

My question now is really what to do about the sling studs (keep original and have the wood filled or put new quick detach studs on) and what recoil pad to use. I like the original Sako pads and found some online as mentioned but they will just get crushed again as it will be standing up on its butt in my safe.

...post edited for typos.

Last edited by MJSaustin; 12/15/14.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fix the sling swivel, fix the pad.
I would use the original swivel and whatever pad you like.

Then keep hunting the crap out of it.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickF

Exactly, it's your rifle you're never selling it ... Make it yours.

Post pics when done.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by shrapnel

If you want to rebuild something, get a Remington.

laugh laugh laugh

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
no law says you have to stand them up. store it muzzle down.
you can fit more in the safe that way also..
pachmayer will hold up for years and there re lots of options.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, the OP certainly got his money's worth in opinions.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Sako sling swivels - you can use a pair of pliers and pull the loop off of it. It will then fit any detachable you use.

In reference to the pad - the ones that are being sold by Custom Shop are from the Sako factory (not sure who actually makes them). These are current production and do not crush (or at least the ones that I have are not showing any signs of crushing in the last 1.5 years of using them). You can save yourself a few dollars and order them directly from Brownells. I think they want $98 each for them. My local gunsmith charged me $35 to remove the old one, install and grind to fit the stock. Make sure who ever you take it to can grind the pad on the stock. You do not want those goofy holes in the pad.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would not spend $100 on pad for mass produced rifle. We are not talking Westley Richards or Holland so Pachmayr Old English should be good enough. These are very heavy rifles so no fancy goofy recoil reducing pads are needed.
I would not waste time replacing sling swivels. NECG carries Recknagel ones that should fit old Sako. I'm pretty sure when I bought Browning Safari at LGS they pulled couple off used Sako for me. These were ERA Recknagel make.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by emmerth
Sako sling swivels - you can use a pair of pliers and pull the loop off of it. It will then fit any detachable you use.

In reference to the pad - the ones that are being sold by Custom Shop are from the Sako factory (not sure who actually makes them). These are current production and do not crush (or at least the ones that I have are not showing any signs of crushing in the last 1.5 years of using them). You can save yourself a few dollars and order them directly from Brownells. I think they want $98 each for them. My local gunsmith charged me $35 to remove the old one, install and grind to fit the stock. Make sure who ever you take it to can grind the pad on the stock. You do not want those goofy holes in the pad.

I saw the pads at Custom Shop and thought they were expensive and looked a bit rough in the pictures. I didn't realize they were still making them. I searched Brownells and cannot find them, what is the item description to search for on their site?

Thanks,
MJS

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Since you have decided to keep it forever, I would get it fixed exactly like you want it.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
While I would normally say its a Sako, leave it alone...
Its a 270, so hack away!

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I don't have a problem with oil finishing a pre-Garcia Sako if your are not preserving it as a collector. That said, know that if you strip the stock, you're going to be left with a colorless, cheap piece of timber. These Sakos we're sprayed with a "tinting lacquer" containing "stain" and finish all in one. To oil re-finish, you will need to find someone who understands how to "dye" with water or alcohol based aniline dye (not pigment stain) and then do a soft oil finish on top. Demand to see a sample of this kind of work--it is not commonly understood.

I always hated the cheap perforated pad on my '63 Finnbear--a solid Pachmayr or Silver's style is the ticket. Detachable sling swivels
would be highly desireable.

I'd also stay with blued steel on this rifle--coating would be totally out of character--you can tell I'm not a "factory worshiper"
on the subject of refinishing--but I do like the idea of preserving the original style of these wonderful old rifles--you know--"walnut and blue steel." I'm currently doing the same to a '63 Vixen.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I still have a sticky stock on a Finnbear, appears to be unfired, probably 30-35 years old and the finish is still sticky to the touch. Wish there was a simple way to remove the sticky.

I understand it was a problem with some Sakos of that period.

You have one of the best rifles ever made but nothing there to prevent you from giving her a face lift.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Define "worth it"

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by kifaru
I don't have a problem with oil finishing a pre-Garcia Sako if your are not preserving it as a collector. That said, know that if you strip the stock, you're going to be left with a colorless, cheap piece of timber. These Sakos we're sprayed with a "tinting lacquer" containing "stain" and finish all in one. To oil re-finish, you will need to find someone who understands how to "dye" with water or alcohol based aniline dye (not pigment stain) and then do a soft oil finish on top. Demand to see a sample of this kind of work--it is not commonly understood.

I always hated the cheap perforated pad on my '63 Finnbear--a solid Pachmayr or Silver's style is the ticket. Detachable sling swivels
would be highly desireable.

I'd also stay with blued steel on this rifle--coating would be totally out of character--you can tell I'm not a "factory worshiper"
on the subject of refinishing--but I do like the idea of preserving the original style of these wonderful old rifles--you know--"walnut and blue steel." I'm currently doing the same to a '63 Vixen.

Excellent post Kifaru, I thought there was possibly some nice wood under all that lacquer but it sounds like leaving it alone is the way to go. I've decided to leave it wood and blue, I love the character anyways.

What type of pachmayr would you recommend? I'm thinking the brown old english type with a black spacer would look nice and keep the original look since that's the color combo Sako used. Do you have pictures of the one you had put on?

I'm planning to have HCR do the work since they are close to Austin and everyone raves about the quality but they are not cheap (I'm sure it's worth it though). McBride's in Austin is less than half the price for a recoil pad install but they did some work for me on a pistol I wasn't happy with (put some trijicon sights on poorly, front sight is crooked). I'd rather buy once, cry once.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
McMillan makes a nice feeling classic stock for Sakos.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Yes, either the Pachmayr Old English or same solid design in the Decelerator compound. I like the red 1" (comes Med. Only)on a really classic kicking rifle but have used the brown also. For some odd reason, red only looks good to me if it is in the 3/4-1" thick range. I use the black if I stay at 1/2".
New England Custom Guns is offering pads in all three colors , sm, med, lg. Check them out.

HCR does nice work (I am in San Antonio) and I'm kind of a crank about pad fitting (on rifles, I do my own)--I think you're right to find someone who will produce a superior job.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
If It were me, every scratch and ding would make me think of my Dad Hunting it. I would leave it as is.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by emmerth

Have you ever pulled the loop off the fixed swivels before? It sounds (and looks) like it's possible but I just tried and could not do it. Any tips or tricks to getting the job done?

Thanks,
MJS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fix what NEEDS fixed. Not one to worship original but, why does a rifle have to look new if you are going to hunt it. When you are done peckering with it probably will NOT look NEW. frown It just wont have any character. You are thinking about turning a 38 year old beautiful woman into a 19 year old silicone and plastic slut with a pretty face and no soul, or brains. blush

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Thank you all for your posts. The rifle is going to be dropped off next week. I am getting quick detach studs installed and a new recoil pad.

I now just need to decide on which Pachmayr....red, brown, or black....and .80 or 1 inch. Any thoughts? The rifle is 9.5 lbs and a 270 so pad thickness isn't needed, I just want it to look right.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I'm really leaning towards red...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hamrick

What he said^^^

*Master of random precision*
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Because mcwoody's are an abomination! ....I'd rather have a beat to hell walnut stock.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Red would be good! But--Brownells lists the red only in the D752, Medium, 1". You'll need to measure your butt to see which size will fit. Remember, the Pachmayrs have a steel insert that can suddenly appear while you are grinding away if you haven't calculated accurately. NEGC might be your only other alternative. Closest to the original look would be a .80 Brown, but of course without the godawful slots. A black pad, except for maybe .50, is too modern looking to my eye for the Finnbear

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by MJSaustin
I saw the pads at Custom Shop and thought they were expensive and looked a bit rough in the pictures. I didn't realize they were still making them. I searched Brownells and cannot find them, what is the item description to search for on their site
Beretta made a limited run of Sako 'classic' pads a few years ago while they were already tooled up to make the 50th Anniversary Cabelas's rifles that also used the original style pad. You might be able to find one on the Sako Collectors forum. If I had a pre-Garcia Sako, I might change out a crushed pad out but that's it. Go much further and you risk ruining what you have. No need to tinker with vintage Sako's that just have some character marks.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I had a similar issue with a pre64 300 huh. I had it put into better than new condition and then discovered I didn't want to use it..just to pretty. Then came a sako I had used a great deal and it was pretty worn and scratched up. But this time I steamed out the dents, gave it and the barrel a good cleaning and covered in Renaissance wax. Looks like a hunters best friend now

S
S
Got one of those Finnbears. 270 and it has taken many deer. Bought it new in 1962 from Al Beisen. Bill Vowels, his metal work man jeweled the bolt and mounted a 2 1/2 x 7 Redfield in lo rings. It will put 5 of its' favorites under a dime at 100 yards if I don't mess up. Load, 150 gr spire point at 3.326 OAL. 51.8 grains IMR 4350 and a CCI magnum primer. WW brass. (I use the magnum primers cause I hunt in some cold condx. -15F one successful day)
The only thing I would do to it is replace the butt pad one day.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Nothing wrong with your idea at all. I love the looks of the Cabelas Special run of Sako Finnbears. It's pretty much what you described.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

194 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 280ACKIMP, 35, 22 invisible), 1,416 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,224
Posts18,447,532
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.